Coyote Ugly

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by cicpup, Oct 1, 2014.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So awhile back I purchased two collectable (?) Hi-Points (?) in a package deal. One in good shape that was added to my collection and one in very rough condition. Tried to sell it at cost with no takers (don't blame them) so I tossed it in a box and pretty much forgot about it. Well a few weeks ago I noticed a bit of surface rust on one of my HD weapons. Specifically the Dan Wesson .357 that resides in a holster behind the couch. Being located near an open window didn't help either. So two choices. Give up on a great convenient hiding spot or chose a firearm that won't rust. So I grabbed the old beater and MoM's phone number and started working on this. It's not fully assembled yet (waiting for slide to cure) and hasn't been test fired yet. I think the name fits.

Stallard JS-9mm

All moving parts (except sear) is brand new curtsey of MoM.

Keychain - OK. This "drop in" claim is a touch off. Perhaps I'm the first who's put one in a Stallard but it took major fitting to both the trigger bar and keychain. It is working smoothly (not gritty) but has a definite two stage feel. Squeeze it about half way and you feel a stop position just before sear starts dropping. Hope it fires fine.

Stainless hex grip screws

Frame - Semi-Gloss Black

Slide - Flat Coyote

Grips - Satin Coyote

Polished all moving parts for friction reduction. Did not polish feed ramp. Survived this long and still looks good so why bother?

She's simple yet clean.

Attached Files:

2. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Looking good! ;)

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That is fine work. Looks great

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

5. Been thinking about putting a Joey trigger on one of my Stallards; glad you beat me to it. Now I know what I'm in for if I decide to move forward on the project. :)

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Bottom of trigger had to be ground down. Especially the corners. Otherwise it hit the trigger guard. The end of the trigger bar that inserts in to the trigger had to be thinned and the little nub shortened slightly to get it to move freely. Then the bend angles on the bar had to be changed to stop the whole thing from binding up on the frame. Great way to waste an evening.

7. This is the what hi points are made for.

Mine rides in my car with me every where i go. that way if my car gets broken into and stolen in the city im only out $100.

your dan wesson rusting is a shame. is it stainless? it must be a very humid area behind your couch, or you left the windows open during rain.

I have looked at the Dan Wesson kits with 2-8" Barrels. i wish some more company's would try that.

8. cicpup

Vermont
    Not stainless and window was open all summer. Just a little surface rust on the cylinder but enough to realize it's a bad spot for it. Other end of the couch is a stainless Ruger Police Service Six that's holding up fine.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pshhh...... Just enough to give it character.

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Gave her a gentle oil rub down and now you have to be looking for it to notice.

For those interested, a couple pics of before. Note the rusty grip screws. Majority of steel innards were just as rusty.

Attached Files:

11. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

Next time, let me know.

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  13. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

That is one cool looking pistol.

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Well... Second round failed to feed ending up in a stove pipe position. No idea why. Cleared it and blew through 20 rounds without another hiccup. Last ten rapid fire. Trigger feel will deff take some getting used to. It's about half the travel of the original. Overall I'm rather pleased with myself.

15. I think it looks cool. I have 2 Stallard JS 9s in rough condition....may make them into something like that...or sell dirt cheap

16. cicpup

Vermont
    Still looks like new.

Attached Files: