Crack

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Galloway6, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Galloway6

Galloway6 Possum Lodge Member Supporting Member

I found a Crack in the frame of my c9. I found the Crack a week ago and thought to run some rounds through it and see if it got worse.
    I only ran 25 rounds and it doesn't appear to have gotten worse.

The crack starts at the beginning of the serial number and runs to the front of the trigger guard.
    [​IMG]

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Call Hi-Point. Send it in. Receive a new gun. Problem solved.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Crack, or a mold line, or flaw in the injection mold?

There can't be much stress there. I'd think, unless I could flex things to make it gap open and closed, I'd not worry about it.

Might try forcing some epoxy or JB weld into it, if it's a worry?

4. Fracman

Fracman Member

Why bubba it when you can use the lifetime warranty.

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Checked my unaltered 380. The ground down mold lines run straight.

Actually it ends right below the small barrel retaining pin.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And unless it's REALLY a crack, none of that matters.

I probably should have emphasized the idea that I'd make sure it really was a "crack" before getting too worried. It's odd that it looks like it is parallel to the frame, mostly.

7. Galloway6

as ajole said there is not much stress there so I think I'll just keep and eye on it.
    I like the way it shoots and was accurate with it so why fix what aint broke.

8. cicpup

Vermont
    Now that I fully agree with. I'm just going on the assumption that it's actually a crack. And that's just based on "it shouldn't be there".

9. cicpup

Vermont
    I would remove the slide and see if it goes all the way through the frame. Also try flexing the barrel and that section to see if it effects it any.

10. Galloway6

Thanks for the input guys.

11. Galloway6

will give this a try cicpup.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a crack to me....

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, but your judgement is suspect, ya left wing Floridian, you.:p

14. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Now let me see....how much pressure in there when a 9mm round goes off? And what would happen if Murphys Law takes affect? And how close is it to my hand?...Oh, it's in my hand. Hmmmm. Oh, and I'm not a structural engineer....Send it to HP and get a brand new one free, no questions asked???? Hmmmm, let me think.....:confused:

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Chuck Norris wouldn't be scieered.....

16. Galloway6

well it doesn't show thru to the inside and no flex so I'm going run some more rounds this weekend and reinspect.

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hmmm...might be a crack, might not, the pressure of the 9 is totally enclosed and contained by the barrel and chamber, and has absolutely no impact nor effect on the plastic frame, only the recoil does, and mom is...mom, why take money out of her pocket for nothing?

Now, if it really was a crack, and showed signs of getting worse...sure.

But it's not there yet.;)

18. Fracman

Fracman Member

Why spend your hard earn cash on something with a lifetime warranty to not use the warranty when there is a flaw that may or may not be covered in the future.

19. I dont like crack its bad for the eyes when its from service techs (plumbers etc). Also bad for the body in the edible form. Anyway as its hard to really get a grasp on the severity of the crack with just one picture. Not trying to discount your ability to look at your own gun and decide if it was bad but you did ask. If you know anyone who is a true gun nut take it to them so it can be physically looked at. Outside of that i would take it to a gun shop preferably one recommended by suggested gun nut as they will send you to someone whos not a dick. My only concern is with a crack going straight in like that there could have been a problem with the molding process. You took it apart and couldn't see a crack on the top side but whats to say its not there hiding right below the surface. Plastic that hasnt been molded together properly can stress the whole polymer frame and you could wind up with the slide in your eye. Or it could just be a minor nothing when the serial number was placed.