Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to breakfast this morning and some one noticed my my gun and called the cops . ( don't know how it was in a zipped up pouch ) :mad: Police man was very professional had me unload the firearm took it into possession ( MI law requires this ) checked me out on his computer as he was returning my weapon slipped and dropped it on the concrete result cracked the slide so off to haskell it goes tomorrow for repair good thing I have a spare . :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
agree - if this were a $2,000 gun under NO warranty, you'd be going through the ceiling! Ler 'er rip!

·
Banned
401 Posts
I would be on the phone to the chief in the morning and explain the situation, I would also request a copy of the report that officer is required to file...that way you will have a full accounting of the incident for your files, I would also push to have them repair the firearm due to negligence..

He should know how to handle a firearm without causing damage.

Dp.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little more info may help the officer slipped and it looked like an old road runner cartoon he hung in the air for a couple of seconds and then was flat on his back and wound up with a couple broken bones the police dept . is agreeing to the shipping cost but since HI-POINT ( the most wonderful fire arm company ever ) has the ultimate warranty they will not cover damages to the pistol the officer is getting a butt chewing from the watch commander for improper foot wear .

·
Banned
453 Posts
Where is the crack at? I am still amazed the slide would crack like that. Never heard of that happening in any firearms. Scratches and dings yes but not cracked or broken slides. I am guessing the pistol was cold since you in Michigan. I am originally from there myself. Please tell me more about the damage. I would like to know just how fragile these slides are. Zamak has always been an interesting material to me and I am always trying to find out more about its strengths and weaknesses.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
any material will crack from a high velocity impact like duke described. Even a 1911 or a glock may have been thrown out of kilter by a hit like that.

SW
a drop doesn't sound like a high velocity impact. i've dropped a beretta and a glock on concrete and all it did was put tiny dents from the concrete in the frame. if he was holding it and he slipped, the gun would drop at the same velocity as a drop, this sounds like it cracked from a fall of 4 feet tops. a high velocity impact would be if he pitched it at the ground, even then, most steel slides shouldn't crack.

seeing as this is the second jhp slide problem we've seen in the past few days, that does lend credibility to a bad batch of .40s?

·
Banned
401 Posts
s0b3,

completely different situation, after doing more research on the first one reported, I really have quite a bit of doubt about it...I have spoke to the guy my father works for, who owns one of the largest machine shops in the PNW who is a big time gun nut as well as has his degree in metals, and he is very skeptical based on the information presented..

But I can say, without Hipoint being able to inspect and see what happened then it is really up in the air.

Dp

·
Registered
39 Posts
It appears to be a "mistake" on the part of the police officer just trying to do his job.

It happens, even though it appears to be a fluke - the slide, by all accounts below, should not have cracked. It may have been due to an undetected casting flaw.

The damage to your handgun was unintentional and due to negligence on the part of the officer, so it would be reasonable to request a copy of the police report and file any claim for which you may be eligible.

While you may have cause to sue in small claims court if the PD refuses to reimburse you for the damage, the relatively minor injury you have suffered hardly warrants involving a lawyer. It is reasonable to assume that defendant will claim the slide was defective and should not have cracked. There appears to be some supporting testimony in this post.

It would be worthwhile to sue the pants off the wussies who called law enforcement at the sight of a dreaded handgun. In a world that made sense, the police would have arrested the 911 caller for wasting their time! Unfortunately, in some jurisdictions you could be arrested for disturbing the peace if you're displaying a handgun on your person - institutional wussiedom.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Even a zinc alloy slide shouldn't break from a simple fall. I did some drop tests with a ratty old J-22 once. Cocked it (empty chamber of course) and I threw that sucker down on a thinly carpeted concrete floor. Several times. Firing pin stayed cocked where it was supposed to be, and the pistol was no worse for wear than it was before I started. Granted, there was a layer of carpet, and the J-22 is a lot lighter than any full size pistol.
Just a wild guess on my part, I would think there may have been some hidden defect in the casting of that particular slide.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Where I live, unless your in town you don't even have to have CCP, and many of us open carry quite often when we are not in town, I carry in town because I have a permit, but it is funny with all of the new people moving to our area, they freak out and quite often call 911, the police most of the time explain to them, it is lawful to carry in our state and don't even respond...

People really need to learn what laws pertain to the area they are in..

Dp

·
Registered
313 Posts
lol I don't know..sounds hinky..... like the officer body slammed himself hard enough to break bones AND a HP. I guess if he through himself down on the ground like that hard enough to break bones he could of broken the gun also.

Would be nice to see his car cam show up on youtube ..."Officer pulls WWF move trying to DT a Hi Point during traffic stop and damages gun and breaks bones in the process"

Was it Randy Macho Man Savage who pulled you over?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
While you may have cause to sue in small claims court if the PD refuses to reimburse you for the damage, the relatively minor injury you have suffered hardly warrants involving a lawyer. It is reasonable to assume that defendant will claim the slide was defective and should not have cracked. There appears to be some supporting testimony in this post.
Actually, he probably does not have cause to sue the PD for damages beyond the cost of shipping. Tort law damages are mitigated by such things as warranty repair, and since HP's no questions asked, full warranty will cover the replacement of the slide (and probably throw in a free magazine, too), the only thing you would be looking to recover would be the cost of shipping, which I believe he has said that the PD has agreed to pay. A judge would likely dismiss such an action on the face of the claim, and might hit the plaintiff's attorney with Rule 11 sanctions for filing a frivolous lawsuit. Now, if the warranty required paying a deductible, or if you required the gun for your job and had to rent a replacement while repairs were being made, then you would have something else to sue for.

It will be interesting to see what HP has to say when you get the gun back, though, in terms of whether this was due to a casting flaw or just bad luck in the officer landing on it "just right". Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
503 Posts
any material will crack from a high velocity impact like duke described. Even a 1911 or a glock may have been thrown out of kilter by a hit like that.

SW
a drop doesn't sound like a high velocity impact. i've dropped a beretta and a glock on concrete and all it did was put tiny dents from the concrete in the frame. if he was holding it and he slipped, the gun would drop at the same velocity as a drop, this sounds like it cracked from a fall of 4 feet tops. a high velocity impact would be if he pitched it at the ground, even then, most steel slides shouldn't crack.

seeing as this is the second jhp slide problem we've seen in the past few days, that does lend credibility to a bad batch of .40s?
JHP is the .45 ACP and the .40 is JCP. I think the JCP post is bs. I am researching that. I called the Yoder casting plant in Dayton, Ohio (where HP slides are cast) talked to the metalurgist that oversees the HP line. He says BS. He said that where the break was, is not a high stress area, and If that would have somehow freakishly happened, it could have possibly cracked, but when it cracked the zamak would have disfigured, not allowing the slide to function properly, and would not have completely broken into two pieces, such as what was shown.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yep when you know and understand how metal works it looks more like BS then when you don't and many folks who didn't were calling BS and I would agree with them ... Zamak is a fairly soft aluminum alloy and is not brittle like some others... as a result it would tear and bend before it would break off clean. Also if that was a casting flaw IE air pockets then the likelihood of the flaw being in a perfect line around the slide is very odd....

As for the OP's original issiue ... suing is a bad idea as it would bring across a (unreasonable gun owner overtone) the officer made a mistake and the department is picking up the shipping plus he may get a mag to boot and a new slide so ... in my mind all is well that ends well. And maybe in the future Mr Policeman will have a chat with the Wolf Crier instead of the gun toter... although if he dropped and cracked the sob sister then he really would have problems!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.