Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
That's neat. Our telephone company was the next to last to replace the crank phones/party lines. We jumped from that to touch-tone; what a change!

My phone number when I was growing up was 73 Red. Grampa's was 161 Green.

Ah, the good old days...

G

·
That's neat. Our telephone company was the next to last to replace the crank phones/party lines. We jumped from that to touch-tone; what a change!

My phone number when I was growing up was 73 Red. Grampa's was 161 Green.

Ah, the good old days...
I thought you were from the mesozoic peroid.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yeah, I hate the impersonal dial tone. It was much better when you heard, "Number, please", when you picked up the phone.

Of course back then we still had call forwarding, call waiting, and 3-way calling.

Call forwarding = Tell operator that you will be at Mr. Jones house all day and ask her to forward any calls there.

Call waiting = You could ask the operator to cut into an ongoing call if it was urgent.

3-way calling = It was a party-line! Up to 4 people at one time!

What I don't miss is the single long distance call line that went to a neighboring town. Sometimes you had to wait to until the line was available to make a call.

G

·
Back in the 80's I visited family up north and they had the crank phone and I didn't even know how to make a call. Just for nostalgia they had one of the phones you had to stand up and talk. Man that would help keep the teenies off the phone.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
WTF?? Never even SEEN a crank-operated telephone in person, much less a REAL one. Those were phased out in the 40's during the reconstruction back home. Funny note: for the rollout of the new network, my mum remembers how the government subsidized new phones for EVERYONE in Southampton, Cardiff and Liverpool (regions most hit by V2 bombing). It was to ensure that everyone was up to speed on the new telephone networks under the ministry of defence.

Then again, there's some strange stuff in the South. Just three years ago, I saw some guy in South Carolina using a "Brick" Motorola MicroTAC cellphone!! Talk about crazy... Don't know of anywhere else in the world that those would still be used.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you are ever in Gridley, Illinois, they have a small museum showing the history of the local phone company. Most of the original equipment is on display.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Posted a few pics. here http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z9/ercnan/Phone/ rather than hog up the page for the younguns who might be curious.
Don't know how old it is, but my grandparents actually used it in that era.
It still generates enough to knock the snot out of you if you crank it while holding the leads.
I'd venture to say that except for needing dry cell batteries, it could be labeled as a working antique phone.
The lower battery compartment is where I usually hide "mad" money.
Notice that it's currently empty, and that makes me mad :x :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
It really could stand to be re-finished, but then it's not original (as I assume this to be). Being inherited from grandparents, to parents, to me, makes me think it is.
If you used to use one like this, you really are showing your age. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.