Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Crimson Trace LG-185 grip for my Taurus 94 9-shot 22lr revolver. The first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was that it's about 1/2" shorter heightwise than my factory grips. When I try to grip the gun with the laser grips, my pinky finger has nothing to hold on too, makes it real hard to grip correctly. If I try to compensate by gripping higher up on the gun I end up blocking the laser.

Obviously I'm going to send the CT laser grips back. Has anyone else had this problem on either CT grips for revolvers or semi's? I'm decidedly dissappointed how this turned out since I really desire some kind of shot placement enhancement.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
no issue on the ones on my colt commander, the only problem i have is that my index finger sometimes blocks the laser if i'm not careful....sure you got the correct ones, although with the cost i'm sure you did?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the CT LG-185 is supposed to fit Taurus small frame revolvers including the model 94. And technically, it does fit onto the Taurus frame perfectly, no problem there. The problem is the CT grips are 1/2 inch shorter than the Taurus factory grips. $150 bucks down the drain unless CT gives reimbursements, or if I can sell the CT's to a fellow Taurus small frame revolver owner who happens to have smaller hands.

I guess my real gripe with CT is that they don't list the outer dimensions of their grips so one could compare those specs with the specs of one's gun in hand. I'd like to try to exchange for the LG-385's (which also fit the Taurus 94 but cost $100 more) since it appears they might be taller than the LG-185's (based on website pictures) but I have no way of knowing unless I can find some in a store somewhere.

I'll use CT's customer contact avenues and see what happens, and if anyone's interested I'll post the results.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
CT's customer service is pretty good actually, although i had questins and not a return. Would they fit on a Taurus 605 .357 i wonder? it is basically a J frame, that is what you buy holsters for it.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Most Taurus "small frame" revolvers are short bbl CCW pieces, not target guns. CT makes their 185 grips sized accordingly, as small as possible to facilitate a smaller package to conceal. Go to a gunshow, most larger ones will have at least 1 stocking dealer who will let you grab a pair of the 385s for a size check.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip. I think I just received a few more credits from the school of learning things the hard way.

I'll wait until I find out from the CT folks what I can do - if they'll let me exchange for the 385 minus the $$ difference that's the way I'll go. Otherwise, I'll try to pawn off the 185 to a more experienced gun owner, then go after the 385 unit online.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have CT grips on my Ruger P-85, and I love them. They're very comfortable, and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally stopped procrastinating and got in touch with CTC's customer service folks. They're going to let me ship back the LG-185 plus $90 in exchange for the LG-385. No hassles whatsoever!

I think I'm excited again!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my new LG-385's from Crimson Trace today. They are a perfect fit.

I give Crimson Trace's customer service an A+.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Just a shame they snub Hi Points!!!"

"Would you really put $250 grips on a $140 gun, Z?"

To clarify, my Taurus 94 cost me a little under $300. The CTC LG-385 retail for about $279, although the total I paid was $249. Thus, the CTC grips cost about as much as the gun itself.

To me, that's beside the point. I wanted a laser system for my Taurus, but the model 94's have no attachment rails of any kind so my only option was the CTC. If it did have an attachment rail, I'd have gone with something cheaper. If I owned other higher priced revolvers or semi's, I'd still default to the less expensive system.

Don't the Hi-Points have attachment rails? I only own the TS, so I have no idea about other Hi-Points.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
C9 doesn't have rails. Don't remember about the bigger ones.

I understand what you're saying, futuremodal, but I guess my thinking is... laser grips go on the dedicated SD gun, and if you can afford laser grips you probably have a nicer gun than a HP. Even more so if it's for concealment.

I can understand why they aren't jumping on the opportunity to offer a $250 accessory to a sub $200 gun, but that doesn't mean I don't think they should.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
They had two models of the 94, they had the regular 94, then the 94UL...the "Ultra Lite." The latter was made for CCW and had about half as much grip of the former. About one finger groove worth of grip to be exact. I think CT only panders to the UL model, with the shorter grips.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They had two models of the 94, they had the regular 94, then the 94UL...the "Ultra Lite." The latter was made for CCW and had about half as much grip of the former. About one finger groove worth of grip to be exact. I think CT only panders to the UL model, with the shorter grips.
To reiterate, I first ordered the LG-185's not aware that they were designed for the shorter barrelled/CCW guns with the shorter handgrips. After figuring out the correlation between barrel length and grip length, I traded the 185's for the 385's since my 94 had a 5" barrel. The 385's are alot better, although still a bit shorter than the factory grips.

I'm now wondering if I should again trade up for the Judge grips since they are designed for the longer barrels, but I don't know if they'd fit the 94 frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts