Critical Duty

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by 2012gt, Aug 25, 2017.

1. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Decided to finally try out the accuracy of Hornady Critical Duty +p in the 995. Not bad for a $250 gun. 25 yards. Iron sights.

vboy36, Icy Dyce, rowiebowie and 4 others like this.
  2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
    How big is the target? And if the red ius bigger than a dime you need practice. Since you used a rifle at 25 yards.

3. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

Red is the size of a quarter. Shot kneeling resting on my knee but I'm not an expert marksman or anywhere close to one. Only flat place in the yard is about 25 yards. If I ever get a chance I want to get it out to the farm and stretch it out a bit.

4. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Didn't I tell you that was good ammo? :) Plus, it is low flash designed also.

rowiebowie and 2012gt like this.
  5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
    That's okay mam you keep practicing.

6. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

Yep. Your suggestion got me to buy the first box. I think Hornady owes you an endorsement check.

OldOutlaw likes this.
  7. OldOutlaw

Nah. Just the fact they make that stuff is enough for me. I will say this though. If you research the Critical Duty, you will find videos showing that the 135gr Critical Duty has more penetration than does the +P version in gel tests. Dunno why that is. So, I don't go to the expense of the +P for that reason. Both shoot groups like that for both of our 995TS.
    Try it at 50 yards when you can. You will like it!

daveindenver and 2012gt like this.
  8. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

Possibly because it's moving slower so expanding slower?

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Shut up, Monkey Queen.

histed, daveindenver and moona11 like this.
  10. OldOutlaw

Expansion on the bullets they showed were identical. I sort of remember the +P may not have kept a straight flight through the gel. I think I have a video or two of these tests. I'll look and see if I can find.

11. Rachgier

Sound like the higher velocity during expansion causing the projectile to yaw and dump energy faster?

12. OldOutlaw

I can't find the video comparison I had. May have dumped it after I decided to go with either round for SD loads. However, that is what I thought at the time. These bullets are designed for penetration with controlled expansion, so it made sense.
    I look at all the different rifle and pistol ammo with any polymer tip like these and it is a Hornady made bullet. The design is patented. Even used in CCI 22mag rounds. Perhaps copied under license. But, what we use for all of our calibers for pistols or revolvers.

13. Rachgier

I shoot Hornady vmax in the AR and 17HMR. Some of the .17 ammo I got from mole is Federal topped with V-Max. Even says V-Max on the box.

14. OldOutlaw

It is surprising how many manufacturers buy this type of bullet from Hornady. I use a lot in my 22 Mag rifles. Seem to be more accurate in my Marlin rifles and my Savage A22 semi auto.

daveindenver likes this.
  15. FRED J WAHL

FRED J WAHL Member

Good shooting, 2012GT! Wish I could still shoot that well, but I look at these 80 year old eyes and bod, and the word "Fugetaboutit" comes to mind!
    Fred (Honcho)

rowiebowie and daveindenver like this.
  16. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Yeah, not bad at all!

daveindenver likes this.
  17. daveindenver

daveindenver Supporting Member

:eek: Ick.

18. daveindenver

daveindenver Supporting Member

Ick. Ick. :eek::eek:

19. Hornady sells the XTP which is the same projectile without the red tip. They sell it as the "custom" or American Gunner or AG+P. AG doesn't have the nickel coating on the case.

I'd be willing to bet the 147gr FTX/XTP's would feed reliably in the 995TS

20. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

I have several odd rounds laying around from my trial and error on finding HP ammo that would feed. So far all the ones that were unreliable in the factory mags have fed reliably in the Redball mags. I haven't tried the AG yet but I probably will after I buy 3 or 4 more Redballs.