Croatian BHO mags and your AK

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Visper, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I just picked up (6) Croatian BHO mags for my AK.

http://www.apexgunparts.com/ak47-magazine-30rd-croatian-bho-7-62x39-new-vci-packaged.html

IMG_20160307_000031.jpg
    IMG_20160307_000047.jpg

Even after reading a ton of reviews that commented on fitment issues, especially with the variants I have, I decided to purchase them anyway - have dremel - will fix!!

The main issue these mags have is the steel is a little thick on the mag catch. So this extra thickness does not clear the center rivet on a few different AK variants.

From What I have read these work well with them (un-modified):

Arsenal (Bulgarian)
    WASR (Romanian)
    O-PAP (Serbian)
    Izhmash (Russian)

Fitment issues:

Norinco (China) Varies not all
    Maddi (Egyptian)
    FEG (Hungarian)

**Of course these list are incomplete as I only researched a few.**

Now from what I have tried them in:

WASR-10 - perfect fit - no modification needed

AMD-65 (Hungarian) - Didn't seat correctly

N-PAP (Serbian) - Fit was Very tight kind of had to force it to latch

Not all AK mag wells are created equal apparently, and the same can be said for mags!!

**Tip**
    Make sure your center rivet has the flat end towards the mag well, they are easy enough to turn if it isn't.

Forgot to take before pics but I grabbed these off the net:

follower.jpg

mag catch.jpg

So I broke out my trusty dremel. I ground off a little bit of the thickness. Just a little at a time, try it, dremel more. Its better to take a little off at a time, can't really put the metal back if you take to much off...

After it was all said and done, they fit all my AKs great, no wobble at all front to back and very little side to side. They cycled my dummy rounds and the BHO worked flawlessly.

I had to re-blue them also as I made a shiny part but all in all it took about 10-15 minutes each mag.

Final Product:

you can see the steel has been ground down flush to the rear rib and sloped from there.
    IMG_20160307_000100.jpg

IMG_20160307_000117.jpg

It took a little work but I am looking forward to having the BHO after last round instead of not counting my rounds fired and hearing that annoying "click".

Hope this was informative and if anyone is thinking of getting these and has more questions just let me know.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I hope those are not too pricey...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNnuUz2l-x0[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysOhfh7Blu0[/ame]

They use the "pro-mag" system which is not approved by MOM! :rofl:

3. Visper

Yes Mole, you can replace the followers... :rolleyes: Sometimes doing that has its own issues depending on the mag manufacturer you put them in.

But I needed an excuse to buy more magazines.

Also, I don't mind polymer mags, but to me, nothing beats well built steel mags!

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Why do you need the bolt to hold open? If you train properly cycling the bolt is fast and easy when you insert a new magazine. :rofl:

5. Visper

Very true but I just always wanted some damn it!! :D

But like I said above, its just kinda nice when your having a nice relaxing day on the range and don't feel like counting and you hear that annoying click.

Its really not because I want to make something that is already easy, easier. :rolleyes:

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    Finally my chance to correct Flash ;)

It's to avoid the "click" if you are not counting rounds.
    You have to cycle the bolt anyway, it slams shut when
    you remove the mag ;)

7. Visper

Yup... but the bonus part is they are damn nice magazines. Very well made.

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    Wouldn't hurt me to grab a few... :D

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Helk those are as cheap as the LGS #2 poly mags!!! :eek: :D

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

Some of the Croats get mighty thin on the lugs when I grind them to fit my I.O.247

12. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

So you think it is better to pull the trigger and get no click then it is to pull it and get a click? :rolleyes:

If you have the weapon shouldered you are not going to know the BHO engaged until you try to pull the trigger since you can't see the bolt is open. So you drop the magazine, which causes the bolt to slam shut, load another magazine and cycle the bolt to chamber a round. Exactly what did the BHO magazine gain you? :rofl:

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

Well, with my HP's I know the sound off my cheek bone, and not feeling it go into battery. Same thing with the AR. Some day someone will design a good quality AK bolt that will stay open. All kinds of mad scientists out there in the AK world. :)

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Most of us can feel the difference, so we know without looking.;)

15. Visper

Yeah, you don't want to get crazy with the dremel. There is more than enough lug left on them to get them to fit my AKs. Its just a little more taper to get them to clear the center lug.

Don't have an IO so can't help on that. Like they say, not all mag wells are created equal when it comes to AKs.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

stationary belt sander makes quick work with guys that have shoulder problems/surgery. Easier than a file.