Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cut my pistol teeth in '85 when I built a .44 Army in my basement. It was an 1860 Army kit fm Navy Arms & i'm not sure I've ever owned a better-shooting pistol. Maybe it's cuz I shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it, but i'm pretty sure it was just a nice, straight shooter.

so... who else out there in HPFF land has an affection for front-stuffing, smoke-belching, grease-squirting mess-makers?

Name your pleasure.

mine by name:
1860 Army (.44) (already mentioned)
1851 Army (need I say .44? "Army" basically means same)
1851 Army - pawn shop special, someone hack-sawed it to a 4" barrel.

traded the 1860, replete with a shoulder stock, for a Walker (obviously not original, but WHAT A GUN!).

walker gave way to a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag., and the ohers & I parted company along various paths as each of my kids came along... but they are still with me in my heart... :cry2:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
There are at least 3 of us. I saw someone else had a .36 in their list of guns. I still like doing the nasty.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are at least 3 of us. I saw someone else had a .36 in their list of guns. I still like doing the nasty.
I know RandyP lists one, Navy Arms if i recall.

so you didn't mention what model you like.... ?

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Never heard the term "cap'n ball" so I guess I'm not one...

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm sorry, sometimes I forget my age... "cap and ball" it's what revolvers were BEFORE we had cartridges.

let THIS explain...

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:devilsidesmile: hadda add this, for you .45 fans...
Ladies and gentlemen, the Colt Walker revolver... woot woot!

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
i'm sorry, sometimes I forget my age... "cap and ball" it's what revolvers were BEFORE we had cartridges.

let THIS explain...
Yeah I realized it was old school stuff when I went and looked at the first few posts. Sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I realized it was old school stuff when I went and looked at the first few posts. Sounds interesting.
help me on the history 2TN, but i think it was the 70's that produced a popularity of C&B revolvers when a few companies started making kits. CVA was the big name i remmy, Navy Arms was the more expensive, higher quality version of same. There was a lot of 'work with your hands' stuff out there, Tandy had leather kits to make moccasins, CVA had long gun kits too & peo started playin' mtn man like Grizzly Adams... and rolling your own cigarettes regained popularity too... i understand that never really lost it's following among some creative types who like to experiment with the contents (i'm one of the nerds that never got into that, i was too busy making guns to blow smoke with)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
They're not my cup-of-tea, but an interesting thought to hijack the thread.

The ATF does not consider these firearms. That said, if you found one small enough, you could CC it w/o a license. You can also own one as a felon.

Both are foolish loopholes, but they're loopholes none-the-less. And in reality, this MAY apply to guns that are 100 years of age or older as well, as they're considered to be antiques.

Good luck explaining that to your parole officer!! >:D
:hijack:

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're not my cup-of-tea, but ...Good luck explaining that to your parole officer!! >:D
:hijack:
i'm not sure it's all that far off topic... Iowa mentions them in their gun laws, so i'm sure ATF takes a back-seat to state laws (10th ammendment at work). If i recall correctly they are still considered a 'dangerous weapon' here, like a big knife or a sword... You can own one w/o a permit, but my parole officer (jk :angel:), or any LEO would consider it unlawful to carry concealed. prolly varies state to state.

but on that note - this MAY BE a :hijack: ...in Iowa most counties don't allow centerfire rifles for deer, only muzzleloaders. BUUUUT, it doesn't say how many muzzies you can carry, so i strap on my .44 Army when I go out. More than once I've had a rifle FTF & drawn my .44... have yet to hit one w/it (this doesn't shoot straight as the one i had in 80's). It's staying home this fall though, & my JHP will walk the woods w/me instead, might even leave the long gun at home, cuz Iowa DOES let ya use ctr-fire pistols -- can't wait for a range report on the Hornady HP/XTP's when I carve that post-mortem critter... :devilsidesmile:

my bug out list includes black powder, caps, and bullet molds.

yeah, :hijack: i think - very efficient to hijack my own thread. :angel:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yep, was back in the 70's with the popularity of Grizzly Adams, Mountain Men, Jeremiah Johnson, etc. Mountain Men is still one of my favorite movies, because of the dialogue. Tanned my own leather for many items. Had a possibles bag I made out of tanned possum hide.

I had a Navy Arms .44. Shot it for about 10 years and then traded it for something. Loved shooting that thing at a 55 gallon drum from 50 yards. BOOM ............ Thunk. That is what got me into casting. Then got a .50 CVA. rifle. Liked the revolver much more than the long gun for black powder shooting.

It is about 4th down on my list of things to get back into. I want a colt walker replica this time. 1st on the list is a .22 Henry Golden Boy. 2nd is a Thompson, 3rd is the Hi-Point 45 carbine. Then the Walker. Don't really

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Back in the '70s I bought a .36 brass frame revolver kit. I never was very happy with it, and black powder is just a lot of work. My son shoots Pyrodex (and some other type of smokeless BP??) but I could never get into it.

As for carrying one because ATF and fed law doesn't consider them a firearm; be very careful. State law might define a 'firearm' irrespective of how the ammo is loaded. Felons in possession or people concealing them may find that state law still considers them firearms for those situations.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hey, don't forget me. This is what I have:
2 Remingtons .44 cal. 6 shot pistols
3 single shot .45 cal. pirate pistols
1 single shot .50 cal. pirate pistol
1 .50 cal. Buckhorn Rifle
Also, 1 of my Remington has a R&D cylinder for .45 LC :eat:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a hawes replica 36 navy colt. it is the brass frame and I love the gun lol. i also have a 50 cal rifle to go with it and enjoy shooting them. yeah you have to clean them good, but that is how I relax lol. :D

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woo hoo! several fans out there!

The mess does grow on ya doesn't it Big Jim!

oh my Sam, you gotta boatload (er, shipload? Pirates mee hardie!) i still kinda cringe though, was gut shot with a Rem .44 when i was younger... :cantlook: What's a buckhorn rifle look like? Link me?

Sorry the .36 didn't work out NDS :( and +1 on that State law stuff... the lawyers know these are NOT toys.

BOOM..... thunk! Love it 2TN, and a Walker!?!! oooo, you'll like that. I used to use the same charge in that as my .58 Zuave rifle! I had to press the powder twice, but was worth it! I understand ballistics is similar to the .45 Auto std loads. (king of the hill till magnums came along :devilsidesmile:)

--
a big PLUS for these is u can make your own powder... caps would be a trick though i suppose, but stock up an who knows.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The Buckhorn has a black stock(plastic). It's .50 cal. It has a 24" barrel. It's a CVA. It uses 209 primers. You can use up to 150 grains of powder, but I wouldn't use that much. I have not shot any of my BP guns. All my guns are caps not flintlocks...I don't like flintlocks. Does a .50 cal. rifle kick much? Does it kick like a 12 ga?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
...... oh my Sam, you gotta boatload (er, shipload? Pirates mee hardie!) i still kinda cringe though, was gut shot with a Rem .44 when i was younger...
Ugh!! Sounds like a story to tell. Maybe on another thread so hi-jacking doesn't occur. :embarrassed2:

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I knew a couple of guys who had these a few years back. They said they worked most of the time:
http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRTC1000
heeeey, i like that NDS! another thing to add to the list.

yeah Buzz, definately a story for another time & place. though life threatening it's more of a most embarrassing moments thing... :-[

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.