Curiousity got the best of me

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Challenger76, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

I currently own a Sig P250 9mm, and I love it. I've been looking for a second gun that's affordable and found the Hi Point brand. After watching several YouTube videos and reading reviews it appears Hi Point is not as bad of a gun as the "gun snobs" make it out to be.
    Why are they so hated? Anyway I just ordered a new .380 for $144. tax included. I figure it's worth a shot (no pun intended).
    So I'm new here just wanted to say hi and see who all has the 380 and give some advice on breaking it in. I hear there's a few mods that should be done.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Because if you dropped $1,200 on a Kimber that has to be sent in for repairs after every six rounds you would hate a $150 reliable gun too.

Nooo.. There's plenty that can be done. If it's working fine, there's none that should be done.

3. Grats on your new gun. My wife has the 380 and it has been a flawless gun for us. It has NEVER FTF OR FTE. I load 115 grain hard cast clocking an average of 850 FPS. More than enough for SD or small game. I could go hotter as the Hi Point would probably take it, but the thin 380 brass won't. Recoil with that load is only a bit more than a 22LR.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WELCOME from the home state of Hi Point!
    I have a couple of HP 380's, they work fine! Only need 2 more?
    But the only other 380 I have any experience with is a Colt Mustang 380. Did I say the colt was a 4 letter word?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Welcome, if its anything like the c9 it should be great, may need the mag ears tweaked, or ramp polished but you won't know until you put some rounds through it. There is a guy making after market sights if yours doesn't stay put, as well as aftermarket triggers I mean keychains for a smoother pull.

Only got a few hundred rounds on mine with one failure, round was up and in but stopped before the slide was all the way forward, pretty sure it was a bent brass because I was loading one mag fairly hastily over and over.

6. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

My H-P .380 gobbled 5 different brands of ammo without a problem, and it's accurate.

7. ragnorak

ragnorak Member

Well, I do own Kimbers (3) and Taurus and S&W and Rock Island.

And I still have my C9. A good gun is a good gun !

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Hey, no bragging. The rest of the world believes we're a bunch of poor pathetic slobs that needs to scrounge spare change and beer cans in order to purchase a used 995. If they knew we were twirling 1911s, popping critters with Saiga 12s and stashing Glocks in our toilet tanks it would ruin our image.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've got Rugers, Berettas, CZ's, Smith & Wesson's... I just like guns.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Wouldn't mind a Saiga, but I'll keep my Tavor.
    [​IMG]

11. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

12. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

If the .380 works out well I'm going to order the 9mm compact next, for $150 shipped ya cant go wrong.

13. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

As far as I know the c9 and .380 are the same gun, they only difference between the models is finish on some of them like brushed slides, but the same "compact" model.

Only reason I think I went with the c9 was 9mm luger seemed a bit easier to find with better prices and selection around here.

14. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Yep, your ADDICTED!

15. So far we have no interest in the C9. The 380 from what I have read works better than the C9, probably not much. The 380 is cheaper to reload, less powder. With a 3.5 inch barrel provides plenty of penetration to stop a threat.

I do hate that two tone slide though, and since the unpainted portion is not protected it tends to dull during summer months from sweat. Probably at some point I will try painting or coating with clear the unpainted portion. Honestly I think the C9 looks much better than the CF380.

16. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

I had no idea .380 ammo averages about $5.00 more a box than 9mm!! Or I would have ordered the 9mm, but I already have a Sig 9 and really wanted a .380 I just didn't know the ammo was pricey on such a small bullet.:(

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The best thing about the .380 is, it has almost no recoil.

It's a great gun for someone that is smaller or really recoil sensitive, and wants to shoot targets, or shoot targets fast, and doesn't want to shoot 200 rounds per range visit.

Seriously, you can do mag dumps into about 3 inches from 7 yards, there's no muzzle flip, it's easy.

One could say that's a plus in SD as well.;)

18. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

I've got S&W, HiPoint, Kel Tec,Taurus, Sig, Kimber and a couple more - The Kimber is nice but I agree its a P.I.A. so I rarely shoot it! I'm pretty fond of my S&W M&P .40 - got third in the NDPOA shooting tournament with it! Of course I like it because it shoots so nice and I change the grip to fit my "little girl hands."

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    He said, S12.

When you find a Tavor that can digest 12 gauge shells, that might make sense.

But as it stands, that's a lot like saying "Wouldn't mind a Dodge Durango, but I'll keep my Boston Whaler."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  20. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Ya never know, someone might make a conversion kit for 12ga. They have a 9mm version, and I saw a prototype .300blk conversion for it as well