Currently at the range

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by planosteve, Apr 10, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Adjusting the Mahan sights on the JHP. Windage was dead on working on elevation now and waiting for a cease fire.

2. You'll love those sites! Once set, they are LOCKED in and never move.
    Mr Mahan is my partner in my reloading press.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

3. planosteve

Done at the range and at home now. First, the sights are great. My old eyes can pick them up quickly and once I figured outs the fine adjustments I have the JHP dialed in a 15 yds. I am very pleased with the sights as they do not move at all and are sized just right for quick acquisition.

I did have an issue with the JHP while shooting. I had a round that had a light primer strike. I cleared it and the next round nothing, the trigger had not reset. Dropped the mag, cleared the weapon and started looking at it. The firing pin was dead strait, so I manually cycled the action a few times while watching the function of the firing pin and it appeared to be working as it should. Loaded up a few mags with my remaining ammo, including the light strike one and proceeded to poke about 35 holes in the target without a hitch.

So was this just a fluke? I tore it down and it is clean and well lubed but there was some crud on the dolls head. I cleaned all the crud off and lubed it. It is functioning fine now with snap caps.

4. Sounds like a fluke to me.
    When new, my C9 dolls head would crud up as the powder coat was wearing off.
    I buffed it right away and had no more problems.

5. planosteve

Thanks, I figure I will take it out again next week with a bunch of ammo and test it.

6. planosteve

Just finished cleaning all the guns. The JHP with 100 rounds was down right filthy. I attribute that to the ammo. The M&P 357 had 100 rounds through it and one wet patch and 3 dry and it was spotless. Apparently the more expensive ammo is cleaner. :rolleyes: The 22's were there usual dirty selves.

I did run into a couple at the range, the wife I know from a local grocery store. They were shooting 9 mm, 38, and 22. I gave them a couple hundred rounds of WWB 22 that I had left over as they only had a couple boxes of 22 ammo. Freaked them out. I only have one 333 pack left and after it is gone I will never buy it again. The only gun that likes it is my bolt action. Oh well I had fun and will go again next week to test my new muzzle brake on the 30-06 and run a bunch of rounds through the JHP to test it again.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It sounds like your light strike was a fluke related to a dirty firing pin channel. Too much crud built up would probably create resistance where it slides against the doll's head. Cleaning that should keep you in a good place the next time out.

8. planosteve

I did clean a lot of crud out of the channel the dolls head is in and the gun scrubber blew a bunch of crud out of the firing pin area.

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think you'll be good to go next time, for sure.

10. That's probably solved. Keep an eye on that location as the pistol wears/breaks in

11. planosteve

Thanks everyone for the info.:thankyou:

12. planosteve

Is it just me or is the :thankyou: a pole dancer? :eek:

13. If you don't already roll your own, that can be easily corrected by powder selection!
    In .40, 10mm, 9mm, and .45 I favor LongShot powder. Meters very well, and I've found that I can shoot 600 rounds and the bore is still just shy of spotless! That will also vary with the projectiles I'm launching.