Custom Hi-Point 9mm ...Because I could.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by TacticalHipointSmith, May 18, 2015.

1. Hey, first post here. I joined the forum to share my efforts to customize a Hi-Point slightly. My inspiration of course was the video by Dynamic Pie.
    I am pretty comfortable with epoxy and since I have zero experience using a mill, epoxy seemed the no-brainier.
    This was the first time I tried using forms to speed the process of creating my shapes. Normally I just build up the area with increasing layers of epoxy.
    Anyways, I polished what parts I knew would smooth the trigger first. I had considered making the grips removable even with all the material added but abandoned the idea when I realized it would just make everything more complex.
    Cerakoated the barrel after I polished the ramp and re-installed it. I was unsure if I would still be able to install it after the epoxy work.
    So I roughed everything up with a dremel and started putting a base epoxy on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Next came the forms. I smoothed out what I did prior and made some super simple forms out of some plastic sign material. It was thin enough to easily cut with scissors. I coated it with a release agent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2015

3. How it looked after removing the forms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Interesting, but if u ever need to repair it you've just made it impossible to do several things that REQUIRE the grips to be removed.

5. Just to answer the question above. I did all this work for free for a dear friend. He understood the significance of the grips being sealed on. He owns a gun shop and sells the Hi-Point brand quite a bit. He donated one of the guns to the project. The handgun is still functional, but this was done more with the intent to just display it. Just to show that with time you can even customize a Hi-Point. The beaver tail is purposely silly long, as is the mag funnel huge. This was done for fun.

This process is taking place over a couple weeks already. The amount of dremel time at this point is considerable. Hours.
    Additionally I have to keep going back over with epoxy to fill air pockets and correct over zealous dremel work.

During this time I sent the slide off with careful instructions on what I wanted for relief holes and the desire to get the mounting rail as low as possible down into the slide. Roger Bain did the work for me. A great and very kind man out of Idaho. He is machinist with a pretty interesting background in firearms. Quite the inventor.

I start the clean up work on the mag funnel and rough it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Wonder if MoM would warranty that if something broke? :D

7. I knew that the front end of this handgun was too understated. I wanted to add more size to it and of course a light rail. using a Airsoft bolt on light rail adapter, I epoxied it on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks horrible I know. Even I was concerned I would not be able to clean this up. I am a couple months into this. I work on it a little here and there. The hideousness of the epoxy on the light rail attaching sucked the wind from me. It would be a month or so before I would pick it back up.
    The slide had come back from Roger and I was extremely pleased.

8. Ifinally get back to it and start the clean up on the rail attachment. I had to dremel a cut out in the bottom of the rail in order to keep the serial number still visible.
    I slowly just started removing more and more of the plastic rail. My intent was to leave more of it. But due to the slow drying time and my inability to keep things square, I removed more and more. Lots of dremel work and I consistently add epoxy when I do the carbide silicon finish on other grips.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In an effort to expose many of the air holes and sloppy dremel work, I cerakote the frame several times in black. I must have airbrushed at least 5 times. After each dry I would go back and attempt clean up and re-apoxy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Sorry, I couldn't help it...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNeGSJaQ9Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNeGSJaQ9Q[/ame]

10. Rerun

Rerun Member

Instead of epoxy, could You have used something like JB Weld?

Helpful eldar

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Wow....
    Welcome to the forum.
    You get a A for effort that's for sure.
    You plan on shooting it or just use it for display?

12. This is a product offered through Brownells for bedding actions. I have yet to have it break when constructing mag funnels for other guns.
    It is extremely easy to work with a dremel on it, yet very tough. I certainly would consider another product if this fails.

13. To finish it I cerakoated the slide in Burnt Bronze and taped off and applied the black where you see it.
    I duracoated the frame in black as the cerakoate was giving me way too much of a flat finish. I hand painted the epoxy on for the carbide silicon and then dusted that material on by hand.
    I used a buffer wheel on the dremel and got rid of the machining marks on the exterior of the chamber. Coated it again in Gold cerakote.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He will go out and shoot it. I hope the frame will hold together. Especially the beaver tail.
    I appreciate having the opportunity to post my efforts. Again I did this for only fun. To explore what I can do with epoxy and maybe inspire someone else as I was inspired.
    Due to the insane amount of work I would never do this again. I just see no way to simplify the process.

14. Rerun

Rerun Member

Looks purty.

Has anybody shot it?

I would like to know if the material removed from the slide affected the operation at all.

eldar

15. I just put it together complete today.
    Shot images and handed to the owner.
    Roger expressed concern over the material being removed and cycling issues. The reddot adds weight obviously.
    I expect it to cycle fine. For how long complete like it is would be another question....
    Thank you for your kind word.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

It's definitely unique, and way above my level of patience.

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pretty cool.... And welcome to the forum...

18. Wow. This is a very impressive project and looks great.

19. Not my cup of tea but still, nice work. I was surprised by how much metal you took off the rear of the slide to install the red dot. How thick is the slide back there? Will removing that much material cause problems down the road?

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

"Spaceboy Zoom" gun! I likey.

On the first page the grip was beginning to look like a stag horn bone knife grip. (idea!)