Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys thanks, pete i used a tan plastic spray paint that bonds to plastic no primer needed, i let it dry, i didnt sand it or anything i wanted a rougher feel but it actually ended up feeling smoother than i thought, after i let it dry i bought minwax dark mahogany stain with small brushes and lathered it on, i let it dry to the point where it wasnt sticky in anyway and then sprayed about 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane on it, i didnt want to spray anymore because it started to lose it's shine since it's plastic i cant sand it, the next one i'm going to do im gonna try a glossier poly to coat it but overall im happy with them ill leave these on for a while if it loses it's poly i'll just reapply i think even if i put my hogue grips back on it would look cool having the wood color peeking out

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
ahh, now that is the question. you have to see what is compatible. if you could do the same thing you did with the grips on another piece of plastic and let dry, then test...some topcoats will lift the paint off and make it bubble. i have always found that if you stick with the same brand say krylon, it is all compatible, but if you go with say Delft or minwax it may lift. all you can do is test on some scrap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man, I will warn u have to use a dremel, be very careful around the frame the speed of the dremel starts to melt the plastic if u get to close, but other than that u should be good to go

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.