Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I've been puttering around looking for a project to do while the weather is too crappy for tactical handgun training (plinking) with my JCP.

One of the things I've been thinking about is that with the weapon as slide heavy as it is, I'd really like the whole grip area to feel heftier. To that end, I was thinking about perhaps detaching them from the frame and filling each side of the grip with something heavy, like expandable foam, or something better and heavier, then trimming and sanding them to the point of fitting again and reattaching them.

I'm not a DIY expert or anything and I'm not far up on the proper materials for this type of job. Anyone with me on the grip feeling too light and airy compared to the weight of the slide? I really wouldn't mind carrying a few more ounces if I could equalize the heft of the weapon a little bit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I found that using the 147gr CQ hollow points from Hornady in the mag helps to balance the weight out. Maybe they should make an optional heavier counter weight to swap with the existing counter weight. I think if they came with a heavier counterweight from the box or had that option, they would probably sell more.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I got a idea... Make yourself a set of steel grips for it... solid steel grips. It'd be a cool weekend project if you have access to a grinder, a dremel, and patience.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good suggestions, I'm definitely interested in looking into them. Simply removing the plastic grips and replacing them with something heavier is a good idea too. I wonder if I can think of anything as heavy that's easier to work with? It doesn't really matter what the grips are as long as they're not going to crack under pressure, right? I have this mental image of something you can pour into a mold at lowish temps, like some kind of dense fired clay or concrete. Probably too heavy, but an interesting idea!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What about that resin the make home decor statues and such out of? Or you could just use lead.

·
Banned
453 Posts
You could fill the empty cavities in the grips with hot glue, shoe goo, or liquid nails. There is also lead tape you can play around with. Once you know the weights you want you could use a combination of fishing weight sinkers and glue to get the balance where you want.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Lead grips? Should be able to cast them up easy enough and easy material to trim and work with. Also "cerebore" <sp>, about as heavy as lead but melts at the temperature of hot coffee?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got a idea... Make yourself a set of steel grips for it... solid steel grips. It'd be a cool weekend project if you have access to a grinder, a dremel, and patience.
That's a great idea! steel grips, that would look nice

·
Registered
222 Posts
How about playdough? :D
LOL Were you thinking of tying it to the mag for balance? I'm not sure that green spaghetti grips will work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zamack did cross my mind, though I figure I'm not going to be "working" with that anytime soon. No alloy production facilities here, unless you count me melting my brain into an alloy of the internet and the movie Repo Man. I suppose the stuff is softer than steel though, so it would be easier to grind down to a shape needed.

Lead. Lead was a thought of mine, but I'd rather avoid neurotoxins as much as possible. Of course if I sealed any lead inside the grips, it wouldn't be any more neurotoxic than any firearm is already with all the lead dust everywhere.

Some type of heavy resin, foam, heavy rubber, etc.. something that any jackhole (me) can melt and pour or that is meant to be poured cold... I'll have to continue to look around. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Edit: Figured I'd just add to this post and keep my train of thought going instead of double posting. I've been scanning the internet and it occurs to me that a combination might work out just fine. Thanks magnut for that one. I think I'll get to work. Probably going to paint the horrible "forest camo" grips and frame a color of some kind to go with the really flat green (which I do kinda like) of the slide. Probably the ever popular "Desert Warfare" khaki because I've seen several super sexy khaki jobs done on here, but I'd take suggestions. The slide is already OD green, what color do you think an extra heavy hi-point should be? Brick red? Oh you, I knew that's what you were thinking. I'm thinking something that looks clean and respectable as I'm trying push respectable feel in the hand with the weights to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.