Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a front sight base from Numrich (ten bucks) and cut it down with my Dremel and a hand file (it works easy, I suspect it's some sort of sintered metal) then added a bit of cold blue to blacken it again and screwed it on as I was adding the suppressor as well.

I'm pretty happy with the results and I think the lower profile looks great if you're going to dump the sights and go with a red dot or scope. I should add that I really like both the look, added weight and feel of the suppressor on the gun as well but I did use a ball grinder on my Dremel to open up & chamfer the muzzle hole at the end of the suppressor a bit. As it comes it looks poor in my view (no chamfer to the hole at all and mine even had a few metal flaws around the radius of the hole) so adding a chamfer really makes the muzzle look a heckuva lot better. Of course I re-blackened the suppressor as well. At any rate, it's supposed to be a cheap (which is NOT a slur to this cheap guy) gun so keeping with that I've kept the standard stock and simply worked on it a bit and also added an inexpensive Barska red dot sight.

Walla:

I hope you agree it looks great and I can say that it definitely shoots great! Best two hundred bucks I ever spent. 8)

Cheers,
Oly

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice job.

I wasn't sold on the compensator at first but after getting one for my 4095, I figured, "for $15, what the heck?" and got one for my 995 as well. They do make the carbines look more "finished," I think.

As for function, I have yet to test them!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Nice job... if I ever get around to scoping mine, I will have to try that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job.

I wasn't sold on the compensator at first but after getting one for my 4095, I figured, "for $15, what the heck?" and got one for my 995 as well. They do make the carbines look more "finished," I think.

As for function, I have yet to test them!
Thanks. Yeah, I have to agree about the looks of the compensator now that I've got it on there. To be honest I wasn't terribly interested but for $15 I thought "what the heck". Now that it's on there I think it looks nice and, perhaps more importantly, I think that it (and the scope) add a bit of critical weight and as well it diverts some of the gasses, both of which seem to mitigate the carbine's sharp recoil a bit. Of course it's not that there's a lot of recoil but I was surprised the first time I shot the 995 at how sharp and unpleasant the recoil was. For example, while I found the recoil to be quantitatively less than what I get from my AR-15, Mini-14 and M1 Carbine, I also found it more unpleasant...if that makes sense? Well, it seems as though now the edge has been taken off the sharpness of the recoil and the carbine stays on target for some great double taps etc. It's just a blast to shoot now and that's exactly what I was looking for when I bought the little bugger!

One last thing: The first time I took the 995 out to shoot the seam line at the top of the butt stock where the two halves of the stock meet up nearly scuffed my cheek raw! The two halves didn't meet perfectly so there was a ridge and the molding process had left a little rim as well - the combined effect was most unpleasant and both my son and I noted it with some displeasure. I got busy with some sand paper of various grits and buffed all of the stock join seems flat and also just made the whole cheek pad/comb area of the stock nice and smooth and it's much much more pleasant to shoot for hundreds of rounds now.

Cheers,
Oly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts