Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original mag seems to be doing ok as far as spring tension, however the one I just bought is very tight and will not feed the first round properly.

Is cutting the mag spring a better option than just waiting weeks/months for a spring break-in?

If so, can you all give me some direction on how to do this?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Absolutely not. If you cut it now you MAY get immediate results but as the spring naturally wears in and all the sharp angles and edges on the follower and spring smooth out you will have ftf's pretty regularly caused by low spring tension.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
i have read some of the more experienced hi-point members recommend loading the mags with fewer rounds than fully loaded, if you don't want to wait to shoot. gradually adding more as the spring loosens up

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not do it. If it were a good idea, then the forum would have a stickie with a how-to. The forum doesn't, therefore it is not a good idea, at all. Just use some patience and common sense and let the mags sit like we all have.

As AngieLn439 stated, your cut spring will most definitely cause you problems further down the road. After the spring relaxes a little bit, then you will not have enough tension to properly feed the rounds.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not do it. If it were a good idea, then the forum would have a stickie with a how-to. The forum doesn't, therefore it is not a good idea, at all. Just use some patience and common sense and let the mags sit like we all have.

As AngieLn439 stated, your cut spring will most definitely cause you problems further down the road. After the spring relaxes a little bit, then you will not have enough tension to properly feed the rounds.
Listen to broom he knows whereof he speaks!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.