CZ-82 slide stuck closed (forward)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by sm49, Jul 8, 2020.

1. sm49

sm49 Member

Howdy all. Brand new forum member. Sorry to jump straight in with a request for help, but here goes...

I have a 9x18 CZ-82 that I really like. It's performed well for me for a number of years. Some time ago, my dad had it out on the range and it failed to eject. Now the slide is stuck closed. I can move it back almost a quarter inch with great effort. Then it sticks solid.

I've confirmed that the round was indeed fired - only the casing remains. I thought perhaps the casing was stuck. No such luck. I can slide the casing fore and aft after manually releasing it from the extractor.

I have an exploded view and a nice disassembly video for reference. Naturally, the disassembly video begins with pulling the slide back and dropping the trigger guard...

It seems very much like the ejector maybe the automatic safety is wedging the slide stuck. After shoving the slide back that 1/4 inch, then moving it back forward, I can see (grips have been removed) a line inside the slide where the ejector appears to dig into the slide.

I've found somewhat similar problems in my frantic googling, even a thread here from a couple years ago, but am no closer to a solution.

Please guide me oh wise ones....

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Is the extractor flat to the action, and movable?
    Looking up through the magwell, can you see the ejector? Is it bent sideways?
    Can you pull the trigger guard down at all? Mine pulls down before I move the slide.
    And finally, does the safety work? Can you cock the hammer? Can you then move the safety, and if you can, will the trigger drop the hammer once the safety is off? Obviously, if the safety is on, you can’t rack the slide, but I’ve also read that a sticky safety can lead to the issue, as you describe.

My 82 is still one of my favorite handguns.

Edit...check the pin directly above the safety, that goes across the gun. If it’s sticking out, push it back in.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    lklawson and SWAGA like this.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Mmmm....a case rupture ?
    Best of luck anyways.

ratchowmein likes this.
  4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    He did say he could move the case, I assume it’s not ruptured enough to jam the slide.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Seems like good advice.

I've decided to move all of my Makarov caliber guns on to more loving homes, except the CZ82. I just like it too much. I had it out the other day and found that I it will no longer work in DA. When I pull the trigger back, it reaches the end of the stroke before it trips the sear and drops the hammer. But I can still cock the hammer back manually and drop it with the trigger. It's the darnedest thing. I'm planning on taking it to a smith when I get a round tuit.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. sm49

sm49 Member

Sorry I disappeared folks. I appreciate the rapid responses. I'll see if I can make sense to you.
    One of my first thoughts was a ruptured case or a barrel bulge. I am convinced that neither affliction is the cause of my current troubles. I can move the case and am certain I could actually extract it if the slide would go back far enough. I can also 'feel' the opposition to the slide at the rear and not the front where I would expect a bulged barrel.
    I'll try to get some pics and maybe a vid of what I have going on here.

Rerun likes this.
  7. sm49

sm49 Member

In the meantime... @ajole
    The extractor is flat and movable. After getting the slide back that 1/4 inch or so, I can actually press the back end of the extractor and work the it free of the case still in there. This is how I know the case will move.

I can pull the trigger guard down about 1/4 inch as I always could, but it has no bearing whatsoever on the slide movement.

The safety is a bit weird... I can move it up and down (with some effort - it's a bit gritty and difficult to (dis)engage) - and it will block the hammer from falling (and the trigger) when up. When down, I can pull the trigger and drop the hammer no problem. Also I can dry fire all day long in double action. That said, I can't help the feeling that something directly under the slide and associated with the safety and/or ejector is not moving out of the way as it should. (Please forgive my difficulty articulating this) When I work the safety up and down, nothing 'inside' as in up toward the slide is moving at all. The ejector does not appear to me to be deformed.

Rerun and ajole like this.
  8. sm49

sm49 Member

My gut feeling here is a sticking safety (pin is good) and/or ejector. Again, there is evidence of the ejector (part #20 on my exploded view) or perhaps the automatic safety (#21) digging into the slide as I try to rack it. The angle I have of the exploded view makes me a little unsure of exactly how these bits go together in there. Neither love nor money seems to be able to get the damn thing racked. Not even liberal amounts of teeth grinding and cussing is working.

I get the feeling that I should be able to use a pick or a small screwdriver to pop something over or up or out of the way, but I'm not having any luck getting ANYTHING inside to budge.

Am I making any sense at all here?

Rerun and ajole like this.
  9. sm49

sm49 Member

A few pics

09-slide forward, looking under from the grip area. Note the 'wear' line going across the bottom of the slide.
    IMG_5709.JPG

11- the 'guts'. Nothing in here moves with the safety lever. I think maybe something should...
    IMG_5711.JPG

13 - Slide back as far as I can get it
    IMG_5713.JPG

16 - after manually releasing the extractor and pushing the spent case forward
    IMG_5716.JPG

17 - slide back as far as she'll go right now
    IMG_5717.JPG

18 - slide forward - note the 'wear' or 'rub' line
    IMG_5718.JPG

19 - a clearer shot of the 'rub' line that I think shows where my problem is
    IMG_5719.JPG

Appreciate further guidance...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Sounds likje the safety latch isn't fully retracting by the safety lever. You should be able to move it down with a small screw driver. The CZ82 is a simple blow back weapon so the only thing holding the slide forward is the spring. It's possible that the spring itself is holding it forward, but it would take a heck of a hot load to break the spring and cause that. My money is on the safety latch.

Rerun, lklawson and ajole like this.
  11. sm49

sm49 Member

Yay Bastrop! Spent 10+ happy years in Austin. Not the same place I left 13 years ago though.... No sir, not at all.

I think we're thinking the same thing, but part of my difficulty is determining (visualizing) which way the 'safety latch' should move... It doesn't seem to want to move at all - apparently wedged in there.
    Should it rotate forward and down? Like to give the slide room to move? I'll dig in there some more. Maybe I can hook it with a, well, hook and pull it down.

Like you said, the thing is pretty simple. That's why I'm flummoxed. But it's damn sure stuck.

12. sm49

sm49 Member

Also - I can only flip the safety up and down if the hammer is cocked back. Flipping it up is not much trouble. If I pull on the trigger a little with the safety engaged (up), then getting it pulled back down is somewhat difficult.

Does this help point me in a direction?

13. FlashBang

The design of the CZ82 makes it pretty difficult to release the safety if it is jammed up internally. If it were me, I'd remove the grips and do a total break down. Then you can clean everything up and reassemble to test. You may have something that has found is way into the FCG and is hanging it up. If you're not comfortable doing a complete break down, take it to a qualified gunsmith.

Rerun and lklawson like this.
  14. Cz82frustration

Cz82frustration Member

Hi.
    Any progress on the CZ82. I have the same issue. Starting to think the recoil spring broke.

15. sm49

sm49 Member

Howdy @Cz82frustration !
    I'm afraid I've not made any more progress since posting here. I fiddled with it for awhile and then SQUIRREL. And life.

I am not giving up though (character flaw) and will pick it up again soon. Likely at some point I'll either fix it, or fix it so no one else can. When I do, I will update this post so the other poor SOBs that run into this will have something to start with.
    Likewise, if you get it figured out first, I'd appreciate you sharing what you did and found.

FWIW, I'm having a tough time visualizing a broken spring doing this - I have been horribly wrong before though! Either way - what to do about it? A total break down as suggested would be great except that I can't get the blessed slide off which is sorta step one. Not sure I'm ready to start popping pins out and removing main spring and such at random. yet.

GOOD LUCK and Have an awesome day!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Cz82frustration likes this.
  16. Cz82frustration

Cz82frustration Member

Thanks.
    At this point, I'll need a pro to put it back together if I can get the slide off.
    Good luck

17. Cz82frustration

Cz82frustration Member

18. FlashBang

Check the pin I have pointed to in the attached image. If it has moved out on either side of the slide it will stop the slide from moving backwards after it travels approximately 1/4 inch. If you manually move the slide backwards you will feel a "catch" or scrapping of the slide. It doesn't take much movement for this pin to stop the slide from moving to the rear.
    20201229_112741.jpg

19. Cz82frustration

Cz82frustration Member

Okay... Sent pictures down the barrel to CZUSA. The conclusion was barrel bulge. The slide ain't coming off without cutting the barrel. New desk ornament..