Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking at picking up either a CZ-84 or a Polish P64. Does anyone have any opinions on either of these two guns? I know I have seen more than a few ictured of them floating around here. In the long run I would plan on getting both, but funds permit only one at this time. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here is another vote for the P64.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The P64's are starting to grow on me. Does anyone carry them? They seem to be perfect for CCW.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The 82 is a double stack mag 12+1 so that is part of the consideration... I carry mine both OC and CC and also shoot USPSA competition with it! The CZ 82 is a very accurate pistol!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The 82 is a double stack mag 12+1 so that is part of the consideration... I carry mine both OC and CC and also shoot USPSA competition with it! The CZ 82 is a very accurate pistol!
+1 on the 82, great little pistol to carry, accurate, large capacity mag, whats not to love

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
The P64 can be difficult to shoot well, the light weight gun and powerful ammo combo equals large recoil that can sting pretty good. Like the PPK it resembles, the slide recoiling can leave a couple tracks on the web of your hand. They are small and fit just about anywhere though.

The larger and heavier CZ doesn't kick as much. The tang prevents slide bite. More ammo on board. But, being larger it is a bit harder to hide.

Both are nice guns, but I'd buy the CZ first.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I just purchased 4 CZ82's and 3 P64's with one extra mag each. The 82's were in good condition... the P64's were in unissued (new, well...nearly)condition...

I have fired both, both are very accurate at 10 yards. Here are my feelings on both guns:

Both can be carried with one in the pipe, and both are single action/double action, so you can leave either uncocked in a holster.

Both are blowback designs like our C9s, JHPs and all our favorite HPs.

AMMO is READILY AVAILABLE, And not very expensive in JHP and FMJ through mail order and most good local gun shops will have or can get it for you (but they'll charge more for it). The 9X18 Mak shell is similar in size and stopping power to the .380 (the mags for the CZ83 in 9x18 and .380 are the same). I've heard that Wolf ammo is problematic with both of these guns, I purchased Silver Bear and have had NO problems.

P64

The double action trigger pull is a WHOPPING 24-27 Lbs on the P64, but you can replace the springs to make that a more tolerable 16.5, 18 or 20 lb. with springs from wolff. The SA pull on the P64 is a little light and a "surprise" when it goes off. The p 64 carries 6+1 as mentioned elsewhere. It is a PPK clone, though a little smaller than the PPK. It is a good little carry gun because of its slim profile, and the ability to carry one in the pipe with no concerns.

The downfall is the DA pull... which some folks feel acts as an additional safety. I thought the same, too... until I tried to fire it DA. That trigger pull makes it difficult, if not impossible to stay in the 10 ring at 10 yards, in aimed shooting at the range. Recoil is SNAPPY but tolerable, if you get an used piece, the recoil spring may be weaker than new, and more felt recoil as a result.

In a real altercation, the risk of missing your target on the first shot because of the trigger pull is a real possibility... and that, in my mind, makes it a 5+1 + 1 flyer. If you replace the spring, maybe better... However, the lighter DA pull spring mod, will make the SA pull lighter as well, so you might get unwanted double taps.

One other thing about the P64 that to me is awkward... the mag release is under the grip at the back. It is difficult to operate with big fingers. Mag changes in a real fire fight are not going to happen easily without a LOT of practice.

Current availability through I.O. Inc (the importer) and J&G sales

CZ82...

I LOVE THIS GUN.

12+1 mag. A little bit heftier, wider, longer than the P64. Ambidextrous safety and mag release. Parts are available because it is identical to the CZ83.

SA/DA pulls are much closer together in weight than the P64, though I can't tell you what they are in #. Both SA/DA are crisp and light. The gun is accurate at 10 yards and a joy to shoot... Mine are used... in good condition, so the casings eject a bit further than they should (I think) but wolff makes replacement springs for them. Those replacement springs will also make the recoil more sweet than it already is but I have no complaints in that department.

Carry size... is a bit more awkward than the P64... The CZ is very similar in overall size and weight to the C9 HP. It's not as thick at the slide (as the C9), but with the double stack mag, overall it's just as wide. My personal opinion is that it would make a better choice to carry than the C9 because of mag capacity and the absolutely safe 12+1 carry.

Accuracy is quite good... rear sights adjustable for windage only but this is not done with ease as it is on our HPs.

Most of these guns are painted black, though I understand that CDNN is offering them blued. Mine are painted. I'm going to strip the paint and blue one, black another, parkerize the 3rd, and hopefully nickel or chrome the last.

Availability through CDNN (I'm pretty sure J&G is currently out of stock).

I think you can safely buy both, try them out... and decide for yourself... CZ's are seling in gun shops for ~$200-300 P64s maybe a little less (when you find one in a gun shop). I've heard that the P64s come back as returns to gun shops because of the trigger pull.

Here's a pic of mine:

P64's pointing up, CZ82's pointing left

hope you found this helpful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW. Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I think I am going to go with the 82. I found them over at SOG for $200 with an extra mag. The price of extra mags for them was one of the things that drove me away from them. Ill be sure to post when I get it.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
WOW. Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I think I am going to go with the 82. I found them over at SOG for $200 with an extra mag. The price of extra mags for them was one of the things that drove me away from them. Ill be sure to post when I get it.
CDNN has them for less, in conditions to excellent... but you'll have to buy the extra mag and holster. (so I guess it's a wash, price wise)

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hey Oakchas.
I'm not familiar with CDNN what online site is this?

Thanks
Jet
Here is a link to their site: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

NOTE: On the left, the 4th menu bar down, you will see Download Newest Catalog!!

Download the catalog, it is a PDF file. Prices for everything but handguns are listed. You have to call for pricing on handguns. The 800 number for the free call is on the first page of the catalog and on many other pages.

While I have not had dealings with them myself, I have heard nothing but good about them.

I am not affiliated with them in any way.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
My CCW is a P64 :)
I think that's a good choice. I picked up a P64 a couple of weeks ago and while the DA trigger is difficult, it's not as bad as I'd been told. If anything, I'd like the SA trigger to be a bit stiffer. It's nearly identical in size to my PF-9 but is heavier because it's polymer-free. If I wasn't already carrying the Kel-Tec I'd cut the pinky rest off the mag and use the P64.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.