D&H Tactical Firearm Magazines

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 1024Megabytes, Sep 25, 2020.

1. I have been hearing good things about D&H Tactical magazines. It is is a subsidiary of D&H Industries. Anyone have experience with these magazines? They make AR-15 and AR-10 magazines in various calibers such as these: 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x 51, .300 AAC Blackout, 5.56 x 45, 6.5 x 39 Grendel, et cetera.

Their website is here: https://dsgarms.com/dh-tactical

Here is a review of their company and some of their products at this website: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/06/dh-tactical-magazines/

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Who's website? That's just DSG's page.
    https://dh-tactical.com/
    That is D&H Tactical's actual website.

And to answer your question. No, I didn't buy them when I was looking for mags.

Because their answer was, "yes, our magazine will fit in ANY large frame AR pattern rifle," even though my question was what brand receivers had they specifically test fit them in.

3. I may have to buy one or two D&H Tactical magazines in the future and test them out and give a range report.

4. I think they're also PSA's primary metal magazines that they always sell on PSA sales, sometimes bundled with a carry case, or ammo, depending on the sale.

Edit. The 18 PSA AR15 metal mags I have all say Palmetto State Armory on the floor plates but I seem to remember that these were made by D&H for PSA? Same gray 5.56 marked followers

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    PSA "Colt Pattern" AR-9 magazines are running perfectly for me,
    don't know if D&H supplies those too, or not...

6. I ordered two thirty round D&H Tactical magazines for a 7.62 x 39 AR-15. From the reviews I read and videos I watched on them I think they will be good. I will let you know how they perform after I take them to the shooting range.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I've just used the PSA/D&H 5.56 mags.

8. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

D&H make mags for BCM. They been in business for years. Previously known as Lebelle.

9. I tried out the thirty round 7.62 x 39 D&H Tactical magazines for the AR-15 today. After putting in about twenty-seven rounds the magazines were hard to seat. They seemed to work okay until you got down to the last five rounds in the magazine. Thus far I will give the magazines the benefit of the doubt until I try new ammunition in them. I hate "Geco" brand ammunition. It has been unreliable for me with my 7.62 x 39 AR-15. Russian steel ammo has worked flawless with C-Products magazines.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  10. TNTRAILERTRASH

How has Geco been unreliable?

11. Geco ammunition fails to feed the next round in the magazine usually. It just leaves it in the magazine with an empty chamber. I never had this problem with Russian steel ammo.

I've fired about thirty-five rounds of Geco ammo and get about 66% reliable feeds with it thus far.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  12. Rachgier

Is there an OAL issue causing them to drag in the magazine?

13. What is the "OAL" abbreviation? I do not know what that means.

14. Rachgier

Over
    All
    Length

Rerun likes this.
  15. From what I also see with the 7.62 x 39 D&H Tactical magazines the follower is not an anti-tilt follower so it shifts back and forth in the magazine when the ammunition count gets to about five rounds or less in it. This may be causing failures but the Geco ammo also has not been reliable even in my good C-Products magazines. The Russian steel cased ammo has been very reliable in the C-Products magazines.

If I find these magazines are not reliable I can send them back to Brownells (where I bought them from). They have a great return policy. I might keep them if they are reliable in feeding from round 27 down to round number 7 since magazines are so hard to find now for this firearm. I can just put a dummy round on number seven and know I need to change out magazines when I hit the dummy round. We shall see.

Edit: I just read other reviews that give similar feedback on these magazines. How disappointing. C-Products is the only one that makes good 7.62 x 39 AR-15 magazines from what I have seen. At least I already have five C-Products magazines for this long gun.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  16. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Nowadays, I only use C Products Defense Mags in my 7.62X39 AR.
    Cause they have always worked perfect for me.

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

Pull the springs and see if they work better flipped around. If the nose is going down that could be a cure. That sometimes fixed the ASC's.

Flat or round spring?

I think I read that Geco is under powered. Might be part of the problem. It's good brass if you reload.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  18. TNTRAILERTRASH

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/ar-15...xyE8vdcPrNL8Q_9z3Ekm1sygj3qFfNTJ9VaQ1bAEWn2YY
    Magpul tech wrote an article,

"If you set a presentation angle arbitrarily without a proper round stack/follower underneath providing enough stability to the top round, it will nosedive if unsupported in the front. Or, it will go bolt over base if unsupported in the rear. Slow or uneven stack rise (rounds pushed up by spring/follower) can also create these conditions if the round is not stable and supported on the feed lips by the time the bolt travels forward.
    Straight magazines for tapered rifle cartridges provide this support with an articulating or semi-articulating follower and biased magazine spring to give the desired support. The follower has to be able to “rock” a bit to accommodate proper support as the magazine empties, and the follower travels up. You can’t have a TRUE “anti-tilt” follower in a straight magazine to feed tapered cartridges, or at least to feed them well.

With a straight magazine, there are limits to how many cartridges can be accommodated in this fashion. The cartridges naturally want to form a curve when stacked. At a certain point, the articulating follower and spring method can’t keep up, and the mag body also limits stack geometry.

19. I reversed the spring like you suggested but I think the follower is just too loose in the magazine to make it reliable. Next time I go to the shooting range I will try it out with my reliable steel Russian ammo.

Last time I was at an indoor shooting range so I could not use the Russian steel core ammunition.

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

I am going to reread that article that I linked as it is pretty interesting. Good history on the AR mags.

I am willing to bet Magpul has a AR47 mag in testing.