Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday - with MY dad! He's about 70 but doesn't look his age, or act his age. He's never shot a handgun and is terrified of guns. I asked him if we could go shooting - told him I wasn't trying to sell or convince, just fun. He agreed!

He gets to my house and I have the bag already packed with various toys. I took my P-22 as the appetizer, and also took a family of 9's and the HP 40.

We spend about half an hour at the kitchen table first, going over safety, grips, stances, how they work, range rules, and what my role would be at the range. He said he was ready to go so off we went.

It was a great day. There was another family shooting there, doing about what we were doing - family training! It was a agreat opportunity to demonstrate range rules, etc. He did really well. Once he forgot, and I didn't notice, his hearing protection. After shooting that one shot, he started to turn to hand me the gun to fix his ears. I was right there to grab his shoulders and not let that happen! Fixed the ears and off we went for more shooting.

We had a blast! Next time we'll take the long guns. This was a big deal for my dad - he is/was terrified of guns but he trusted me enough to give it a try. I feel all sorts of great we got to experience this together.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sounds like you both had a blast, its always great to hear about wholesome family fun involving firearms its something that is rarely talked about.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Wish I could have seen the smiles. I try to do things with my son we do shoot some. Have fun great post

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
That's pretty cool man. I don't think I've ever been to the range with my dad... Awesome.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I guess I should really cherish the range trips myself and RFH have had together, With him in college now... It's hard to find time to chill/relieve stress at the range... plinking targets with .22's... trying to drop plates @ 100 yds with pistols... fun times.
:) Good job Newskate, now what brand/caliber was he most comfortable with?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Very very nice man. I am trying to get my father in law to go shooting. He has shot a couple times before when he was a scout but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys.

We started with the 22 then went to 9's. He wasn't too keen on the smaller 9, but enjoyed shooting the XD and my EMP - who wouldn't.......

His shoulder was bothering him so I didn't spring the HP 40 on him; told him we'd get that one next time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts