dadgum rat Bas@(*& magazine

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by p7196, Mar 1, 2008.

1. p7196

p7196 Guest

I have a brand new HP 8 shot mag for my C9. Well I go to use it and when you load it the shells will either sit there loose or fallout or it will sit there with the bullet nose down. Is there something I can do to repair it or should I go ahead and send it back to HP?

2. ToddGray

ToddGray Guest

I sort of understand what your saying, but from your discription, it sounds like you have 3 different problems. Maybe you could take a pic for us. At first sight, however, my suggestion is to send the gun in for repair.

3. p7196

p7196 Guest

Todd I guess I didn't phrase it right after re reading the post. What it is ,I have an extra mag for my C9. It is a brand new one. When you place the rnds in the magazine itself, they will sit in the mag very loosely. You can tilt it and the rnds will fall out of the mag. If you smack it (the mag) a couple times it will push the rnds upward with a little force and keep them from being loose. It doesn't matter if it is 2 rnds or 8. I know that there isn't anything to the mag except the case,follower,bottom and spring. I just don't understand what the prob is. Also when this certain mag has 8 rnds in it the nose of the bullet is facing downward. So it is causing feed probs. I have never made any adjustments to the mag in anyway.

4. ToddGray

ToddGray Guest

Oh... ok. Call HP first and see what they say. Hell, you might not even have to send anything in, as in, they might just save you the trouble of sending for repair and cut you a new mag. Or even, the problem might be as simple as bending the feeder lips.

5. p7196

p7196 Guest

ok I will give them a ring and see what they say.

6. freedom

freedom Member

Sounds to me from the description of the problem like it is a weak mag spring OR the follower is dragging on something. It may have a bur that is dragging on the inner wall and hanging it up. When you smack it it tightens up.
    Go ahead and call HP. But you might be able to take the mag apart and clean it or check or rough edges etc.

7. Sounds like the follower is dragging.

Take a pencil and push it down into the mag and see if it pops right back up when you pull the pencil out, or if it wants to hang.

If it does that is your problem.

A little graphite or something like that would fix the problem

8. p7196

p7196 Guest

Well it does not hang when you pull the pencil back out, I tried this many times last night. I have put shells in it and took them out I don't know how many times. It has not made a difference.

9. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

I would take it apart and make sure the follower is seated on the spring right. It isn't a ProMag is it? Once you put it back together, tighten the feed lips a little (push them together with pliers). Cartridges shouldn't be falling out, if anything a brand new mag is suppose to feel tight.

10. p7196

p7196 Guest

I just do not frickin git it . I took it apart follower is seated. Even tightened the lip. I put only 6 rnds in it and fired them. I had 6 FTF. I put 6 more rnds in it and the lips were wide again & still ftf on all 6. The mag feels flimsy . BTW no it is not a pro mag, it is an HP oem mag. I weighed it and weighed my other one and there is a difference of .4 grams. The one with the probs is lighter than the other. So that shouldn't make a big deal. But the sides are flimsy . You can take your fingers and close up the lips on the mag. Could it just be a bad mag?

11. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

likely a bad spring. call HP and they will send you a new one.

SW

12. By his description, it doesnt sound like the spring is bad.. It sounds more like a feed lip problem to me, either way I'd just give HP a call and describe what its doing, and chances are they'll just send you a new one.

13. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

Are you sure it's a 9mm mag and not for the .380?

14. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

I think I remember reading that the C9 and .380 mags are the same.

15. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

16. p7196

p7196 Guest

Yeah I am positive it is a 9mm or .380 ! I took it apart again. Then disabled my other one. The follower is too small in the one I am having probs with. I am going to call HP monday & see what they advise.

17. p7196

p7196 Guest

Well I spoke with HP yesterday about my possible bad mag. When I called a lady answered the phone, I told her what I wanted figuring she would connect me to someone else. She instantly said mail it back to us and we will send you a new one. They didn't even ask what was wrong with it. Which btw for reference the follower is tilting backwards on it. Plus it has actually slipped of of the mag case a few times. So anyway I shipped it off to them today.