Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into a little gunshop that I sometimes frequent to hope to the gods they had at least ONE box of ammo....

And I came out with SO much more.  Well, ok, I only got one box of Magtech, but also came out with little bits of paper that have alot of value.

First off, I came to find out these guys have a constant stock of handgun ammo that put many dealers to shame, and they do so by keeping sensible purchase limits at one time.  You just can't go in there and buy 100,000 rounds of 9mm because you think the next great civil war is gonna break out.  It's been keeping their store full of customers and they have ammo for everyone!  They didn't used to, but it seems that keeping a "soft cap" on max ammo purcahses came to be well received by the regulars of the shop, and I'm happy  :D  This way I can buy a box a day when I'm driving the cab, and 500 rds or so on payday.  Dunno how they do it, but I'm not going to ruin their secret :angel:

But, the REAL key thing is that when I went in, I was looking for ammo.  But, in asking "Say, when are you getting any more Maverick 88's in?", the sales guy said they didn't know if they could get anymore this month.  Then, the old guy behind the counter shouts over to me and the kid and says "You want a home defence scattergun?  Check this out son." and pulls a Mossberg 500A with pistol grip off the wall.  It has a little wear, but shiny everywhere else and the hardware was in great condition.  I asked him how much, and for being a "regular" customer back in the day, he gave it to me for $200 total AND said he could do layaway because he knows I just got a new job and need to get caught up on bills!!!!!!  Mossbergs are going for around $300+ in Phoenix, so I jumped on it!!  Hope to have it home by the 15th of next month if all goes well

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Wow, Neo, that's awesome!!!! Congrats on the new gun bro, even if it takes time for you to bring it home.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice buy. I wish I could find a shop like that but down here in Nogales, but none of the gun shops keep guns in stock for fear of being broken into by Mexican gangs. The FFL’s in town only do transfers. :'(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
good deal neo!

it seems the words is out on mav88. there are at least 5 members (including me) who have bought one in the last week or so.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Neo, I just put a 500A on lay-away last week. 20 bucks down and 166 more to pay it off. I don't think I'll have mine as soon as you though. Mine has the 24" barrel (I think) and blond wood furniture, which will be changing to a bird's-eye pistol grip when I can afford it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's a great price. I haven't been able to find any Mossbergs under $350 in my area.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yeah, ticketed price was 169 OTD, unfortunately, I had to go with lay-away.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neo, I just put a 500A on lay-away last week. 20 bucks down and 166 more to pay it off. I don't think I'll have mine as soon as you though. Mine has the 24" barrel (I think) and blond wood furniture, which will be changing to a bird's-eye pistol grip when I can afford it.
The 18.5" barrels tend to be harder to find, and also go for more. I'm just glad this one hadn't been "tacticool-ed" out! To me, you can't get more basic than a 12 gauge. I really fail to see how accessory rails, lasers and the like help when it's a rack-and-pull weapon that you SHOULD be able to use as a club when things get desperate. Even seen some with a SCOPE!!! On a pistol grip 18.5!!!! I just don't get it :cantlook:

I still need to get parts for the Vespa (mainly a front tire and Battery...that should be $300 right there) and I have some back owed debts to pay off. REALLY shouldn't of put out for it, but for the $40 downpayment and at that price I knew I had to jump on it. And true about the versatility of the 12 gauge and the cost of ammo... can't go wrong!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Amen. The only thing I want to do to mine is put the bird's-head pistol grip and matching fore grip on, and take the barrel down to 18.5". I may or may not get a Saddle-bag shell holder. I'm leaning towards no on that though.

I have always wanted a 12ga pistol grip shotgun ever since I was a kid. Shotguns have always been my favorites.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
very cool. I am working on a source of walnut to make stocks and other items from. A good buddy of mine has 25 acres with quite a few walnut trees on it. There are a few I found during last hunting season that are starting to die off so we are going to go out and cut a few. His neighbor has a home made sawmill we can use to cut the wood.

I may get my wood stock 995 yet!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
very cool. I am working on a source of walnut to make stocks and other items from. A good buddy of mine has 25 acres with quite a few walnut trees on it. There are a few I found during last hunting season that are starting to die off so we are going to go out and cut a few. His neighbor has a home made sawmill we can use to cut the wood.

I may get my wood stock 995 yet!!!
That would look really nice. If you do a reasonably priced set of grips for a C9 let me know.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
69Burbon, if you do that, I would like to buy a few blanks from ya. My 7mm Rem Mag would look awesome in a custom walnut stock!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i just picked up my maverick this last weekend, at a sporting goods store by where i live, they had it listed for 249 but had it on sale for 70 bucks off, not a bad deal i don't think, it has the 24 inch rifled barrel

·
Registered
222 Posts
My father-in-law called me the other day and wanted me to look for a good HD shotgun for him. He is from Montana but he doesnt know a thing about guns. Now i am no expert but i am taking advantage of the situation...anything to impress the in-laws and get in good with "dad"!

I found 2 mossbergs at the local pawn that i can get for under $200 each. I am thinking about buying them both and turning them both into HD's. The nice thing is i am getting paid to find the gun for him so i figure he will pretty much be buying my gun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.