Damn it...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Visper, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Just got a call tonight... from my bank's fraud protection department. Yup you guessed it, someone got my debit info and went to town over the last 3 days...

This is the second time since January. At least they catch it fast, and I get my funds back, but it takes a few weeks plus my cancelled card... I have to wait 5-7 business days...

Now I'll have to carry cash till next week... after waiting for my bank to open tomorrow... least they left me something...

Can't these people just get jobs and stop living off other peoples hard work?

Edit: Thank God my order shipped from Freedom Munitions today or my card would have been declined... Gotta look at the bright side right?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. Back2School

Back2School Member

Sorry to hear that, that sucks.

3. Visper

Thanks... crap happens, guess it could have been worse... its more the hassle of it all.

4. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Last year I had someone put $230 at a Shell gas station in Detroit on my credit card. Got the card cancelled, no problem, just a hassle dealing with nitwit internet Reps. Then about 10 yrs ago 3000 Cat retirees had all their pay information stolen off a lap top some dildo accountant took to get repaired and didn't delete the information. Fortunately nothing every came of it and Cat gave us free fraud protection for a year. Nothing is safe any more.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Getting to be ridiculous...... I'm not sure anyone outside of us has a legitimate job....... Nothing but thieves and welfare bums....

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We had that happen to both of our checking accounts within a 3 week period. One turned out to be an ex-roommate who wrote down all the info and used it to pay her dish bill. She admitted to doing it to the cop who questioned her about it and they did nothing to her because it was "only" $300 if I remember right and thus a civil matter. It happened on the other account when our electric company had a security breach and a few thousand account holders info was stolen. It sucks, and takes a few weeks to get squared away but now we have it set so our bank calls us before processing any transaction over $100. I can go to the store to buy groceries and before I can even get them loaded in to the truck the bank is on the horn asking me if I made 'x' purchase at 'y' location for 'z' amount of dollars. It's made us monitor our monthly statements more in-depth, and the woman and I have gotten in to the habit of checking our accounts online weekly when one of our paychecks is deposited. To answer the question about why two accounts, one account is for bills only, the other is for emergency expenses. The savings account on the emergency expenses account is my gun fund and it's depressingly low.

7. Visper

Yeah, my bank account is only for bills, going to have to transfer some funds over to cover the bills till I get reimbursed.

I spread it out over a few online accounts, that have no debit/credit cards attached to. Only so much of my check goes into this account.

But some people keep all their funds in one account or one bank, that the debit card can access. This kinda crap can really hurt them... no money for food/bills/anything when they get cleared out... for a few weeks.

So like I said coulda been worse, but damn those dregs of society piss me off.

It's amazing stealing $300.00 is a civil matter... and now all the crap you have to go through just to go shopping because of these damn people!!

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

It was civil because she was a former roommate and claimed she had permission to access the card while in residence even though she admitted to it. The best part of it all, besides Dish reimbursing us no questions asked once the bank went through the fraud reporting procedures, was knowing Dish showed up to her house to disconnect her service, confiscated her boxes, and listed her persona non grata. We have mutual friends who let us know about it and thought it was funny that she finally pissed in the wrong cornflakes. I would love to take credit for such things but my old lady is one fierce individual when you get on her bad side. I just sat back with some popcorn and waited.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I had charges from an India hotel for $20.00 I caught it right away and called the bank. They asked if I was sure I didn't charge it. Told them it would be kind of hard to do since I was in ND at the time. Then drove to the bank am asked if it was possible to be in two places at once.

10. Visper

Well played Rach (well your wife)!!

I just saw some of the charges. Most where all at Redner's (a supermarket chain) and a few gas stations (fuel).

At least it wasn't for stupid crap... I know it's no excuse, and still pisses me off, but people will resort to bad things when they're hungry...

But either way its still low, something I would never do. How do you know if the person you are stealing from needs the money to feed his family!!

Last time this happened, whoever it was, was buying electronics and Hi-end stuff.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  11. Bull

I bet higher end stuff was coming... Probably testing it out at fast moving check out line places.... Grocery stores and gas stations seldom check IDs, and if it was pay at pump, if it doesn't work, they drive off.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The thing is, there's actually a lot that could be done by the credit industry to protect their customers from this stuff. They just don't do it because it'll cost them some money and it's easier to make their customers fill out police reports. Sure, they usually have to reimburse stolen funds, but they can drag their feet a long time and they only have to deal with stolen funds that their customers notice.

The credit industry is, by and large, not what I'd consider ethical.

As much as I hate to say it, the euro method is just a little bit better for consumers because they've forced the implementation of more procedures and technologies which help protect consumers from fraud and abuse.

I'm really wondering if the Apple and Android NFC transactions and "wallets" are going to start forcing credit agencies to more consumer friendly policies and technologies. The two big things pushing these "pay with your phone" technologies is 1) It's just as easy as using your bank card 2) It's more secure and less likely to be stolen. If Apple can convince the hipsters that this is true, credit agencies may have to fight a wave of defection from their products and be forced to implement more consumer safety measures. We'll see.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. My wife and I are getting F*cked right now with this.

our Credit union is to far away to Go often for cash, and they confiscated our cards 10 days ago now.

We weren't worried because we said. "we will just use our credit card. it has enough room"

We said that expecting a new card in a few days.

So here we are 10 days later going "Well sh*T i have to pay the bills, and dont have access into our accounts, The CC is filling up with Gas, and Groceries and normal family things. what are we supoed to do?"

The banks answer?

"Be patient your card should be coming, oh yeah the pin comes separate a few days later"

Easy for them to say.

14. Bull

I almost lost my billfold twice last week,(winter clothes, different carrying habits) I was seriously sick to my stomach.... I need to rearrange my stuff, so I don't lose my complete ass in one shot.

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Only keep enough in checking to cover bills, take the rest as cash or move it to a savings account that is not internet linked. Someone tried to hack mine, I had $5 in the account so the purchase was denied and when the denial came back the clerk saw my name with a guy trying to use my card so he contacted the police. Dude was arrested and he had 25+ stolen cards on him and another 100+ in his apartment. Now serving 20 years for felony theft.

16. Visper

Ya... same deal. I have 5-7 business days to wait for a new card. Hit the bank today so will have to budget my cash till I get a new one.

Bank isn't close, it use to be but they sold off some branches when they were acquired by another bank... I should change but just being lazy...

Now that everything has "cleared" I get to call CS and file my formal disputes.

17. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

and the pisser on these types of events

They won't tell you where anything was delivered. :mad:

Now if you were charged for it, you should be entitled to all the information about a purchase. That would put a big knot in a lot of those yard birds tails if they knew that the people that they ripped off, would show up at their house looking for a 'refund'.

18. Bull

Or to render the proper dollar amount of slashed tires in return.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't know if it still is, but it used to be common for the identity thief to have the goods delivered to a third party address for which they knew the homeowner would not be home during delivery. They would wait outside and snag the items off the porch once UPS/FedEx/whatever left.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk