Damn near totaled my truck

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Headed to the store for a pack of smokes so Traci doesn't kill me when she gets up in an hour for work. I decided to take one of the dogs with me so he can run around the big yard when we get home. No big deal, clear roads, gas station is 2 miles from the house. In, out, back on the road with a cup of coffee to boot. A couple of minutes tops.

I take the blind curve about halfway home and I'm on the brakes like a starving 500lb gorilla on a banana. Had to have been a dozen deer standing in the road looking at me like I'm retarded and have no business being there. The dog goes APE and the deer scattered in to the night.

All these guys complaining about there being no deer around here, and I just saw a dozen massive deer. Pretty sure they were mules but damn. Venison on the table is still venison.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Silly Easterner...them weren't shootin' deer, them was little runts, not even worth a bullet.:p

And yes...they were mules...well, we call them mule deer, but...you know.;)

Is it a season? Our deer season was over a long time ago...so yeah, now deer are all over.:rolleyes:

3. Rachgier

Typed mulies but got auto corrected. Yes, they are out of season. I did advise them to venture over to my yard next season. There were a couple of big ones in the group, maybe 250+. I've seen a few in the field next to my place.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I figured that out as soon as my auto correct tried the same shenanigans.:p

And don't forget...we only count one side out here, you call it an 8 point, and people will point and laugh.:D

5. Rachgier

Meh. Any haters will be silenced with a simple truth. The tag is still filled and the meat still eats.

6. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Put a heavy duty bumper on Your truck!

Biggest deer I ever harvested I took with my '71 El Camino ~ 155 pounds dressed - In eastern Pennsylvania just outside Easton on Rte 611.

eldar

7. Rachgier

Planning on it actually. Just trying to decide what comes first. Upgrade to the 2500 burban or buy a 3/4 - 1-ton pick up.

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

You ought to go down to my place near Mt. Blanca and watch hundreds of elk cross the road. Now that's a vision to behold. By bud that lives down there made a vid of a couple hundred crossing the road with his cell phone. The vid was tilted to the left and I could can't get it straight on my work computer. Bums me out.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Right there pretty much describes most of my mornings.

10. Rachgier

What, you stand in the middle of the road and stare at people like they're retarded?

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've lost one car to deer, had a few other narrow misses.

12. Rachgier

Seriously. You, me, elk tags, the women keeping camp ship shape and the beer cold. What's up?

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My Crystal Ball tells me that you'll plan on taking that curve much slower in the future but after a few weeks your resolve will falter. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Rachgier

I take that curve at 20 - 25 already. Lots of wandering cattle in my neck of the woods.

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well people are retarded so that's one thing they got right. But no, I won't stand around in the road again. It got real scary when I finally realized that every time you put a deer behind the wheel their thoughts always turn to revenge.

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

When I worked 4-mids I ate a lot of venison that either I hit or someone in front of me hit. I was driving a 1979 Ford Quadravan conversion with a huge cow catcher bumper. But the biggest was an idiot buck that charged the side of the van and snagged his antler in the mirror bracket. Snapped his neck. Not a bruise anywhere on the meat!

Identical to this but add a huge bumper and side rock guard rails. Yes I took it off road including down a jeep rail everyone said was impossible for the van.

[​IMG]

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's illegal out here, these days.

18. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHCMHE2Hmo[/ame]

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Here you call the sheriff, he drops off a tag for it. You can then butcher yourself or take it to a processor. In the metro areas they have fits over it but out here in the boonies? Tag is a given and they drop it at the house.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's a good program.

Here, the DWR controls all tags, even the depredation tags for the farmers to use.