Dang, another "is a 22 good for defense" post...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by WorldWarZ, Apr 1, 2017.

1. WorldWarZ

WorldWarZ Member

I have been looking at a 22 uzi online, its the walther with the 16 inch barrel.
    i mainly want it for a collector item since they don't make them anymore, but i think it would make a good trunk gun or defense gun. I got to thinking about the actual name of the round--22 LONG RIFLE. Perhaps to be good for defense, it actually needs to be shot from a LONG RIFLE gun to get speed and penetration, not fired from a 2 inch handgun. I would think a 16+ inch barrel, paired with hyper velocity round nose ammo would give it enough penetration. I saw some statistics that showed where i could get 1300+ fps and 14 inches in gel with a set up like that. I think what makes a 22 dangerous is that regular people can actually hit with it also, and 22 rifles offer 10-20 rounds that can be fired fast. As a bonus, you may not go deaf if you actually had to use it like you would a 223. so,, i think using an actual rifle makes it a game changer. I havent posted in a while,, good to see ya'll again.

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I see no issues as long as you use good ammo. Welcome back.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Don't let anyone fool you. .22's are deadly coming out of any barrel. Some barrels make it a tad more deadly than others. ;)

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd prolly not "specifically" buy it for SD, but a setup like that would be formidable, IMO :cool:

:welcome:back, worldwarZ!!!

For :zombie: :mumy: :zombie: I'd want something with a little more "SPLASH" for head shots on the undead! :rofl:

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    PS: CDNN had BOTH the UZI Carbine and Pistol on sale, pretty cheap...

6. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
  7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You also have to consider reliability issues. A semi-auto .22 carbine isn't as reliable as a semi-auto center-fire carbine. If defense is a primary intent, then you want something that will be least likely to force you into malfunction drills when you need it most.

8. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    While rimfires may not be as reliable as centerfires, and revolvers might be more reliable than semi-autos, a modern, well-engineered semi-auto rimfire fed w/ decent ammo will likely be quite reliable. In the past, rimfires and semi-autos both had a reputation they've largely shaken off.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I can't remember the last time I had a bad 22. They go bang

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I know a guy who was shot in the head by a 22lr(gang shooting in MPLS, he was just leaving the liquor store and was hit by a stray). It penetrated then bounced around inside his head. Turned him into a drooling veggie for 5 years before his body shut down from the bad signals coming from his head. If it hits a rib it will bounce off at an angle doing a lot of damage along the way...

11. Jayclimber

Jayclimber Supporting Member

Ohio
    Great video of a ballistics test done with 2 different .22lr rifles with a car windshield and ballistics gel behind it! Pretty impressive results out of the test!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKFvrqCG118

12. WorldWarZ

WorldWarZ Member

thanks for the post guys. Ive heard alot of people say rimfire dont work as good as centerfire, but ive never had trouble with it out of my 10/22 ruger. ive had more trouble from my 9mm taurus not firing, i'll look at the round and it will have a dent in the center, but the round didnt fire. that may be a low cost monarch ammo thing though.

13. 3Js

3Js Henderson/Las Vegas NV Member

people talk crap and how unreliable .22LR is.
    I have a Sig Mosquito, M&P22C and M&P22 fullsize.

We have run 1000's of rounds of cheaper HV .22LR.
    Maybe I've had 4-5 FTF.

Using CCI mini mags...not 1 problem

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Where the heck have you been Jay? :cool:

15. Jayclimber

Ohio
    Hey, I've been around! Not as often as I use to be but sometimes life just gets in the way! Between work, kids school, Scouts, sports, etc :loco:I haven't had a lot of "me" time! I did get to take a TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) course a few weeks back! Great weekend course to take if anyone ever gets the chance!

Anyways, I'm trying to post more often again and catch back up with you all!:D

16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The rotary magazines for the 10/22 are well designed, as is the platform in general. It has earned a good reputation and rightfully so. When you start talking about other models, though, you can't always be so sure that they'll work as well unless you run plenty of rounds through them to verify them. Except for a few semi-auto models that are proven, I would personally feel more confident in a hand-cycled or revolver .22, but that is just my own personal take.

In any case, that .22 Uzi isn't guaranteed to be as reliable as a 10/22 or S&W M&P 22. It could be, but you'll have to buy it to find out.

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    In your honor, I shot my M&P 15-22 today :D
    11rds Aguila 40gr Subsonic and 14rds Aguila 60gr SSS
    Those SSS recoil noticeably harder than the 40gr. Still
    like nothing, but lots more than the 40gr. ;) :cool:

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Holy crap is your shoulder okay with all that ammo you shot up.

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    :p :p :p :p

20. Jayclimber

Ohio
    I love my 15-22!!! Still shoot it more than anything else!! I have yet to find ammo (both hv, reg, and subsonic) that it doesn't like! Speaking of, how did you like that 60 gr SSS? I've been thinking of ordering the 60 gr SSS for ground hogs, coons, and possums and their .22lr interceptor round for coyotes!