Dang!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Mar 26, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Been looking for a Ruger American 300 BLK for a while. Had a stock watch e-mail from GOG this morning. Yay! Opened to order and number available was "0" . Drats!:mad:

Back on the waiting list.:(

2. Branth

Branth Member

Do you already have a 300 Blackout rifle? Why would you want a bolt-action blackout? It might be easier for you to find a 308.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have a 300 blackout upper and an AAC 300 blackout Handi single shot. The single shot is silly quiet compaired to the MSR, comparing same ammunition here. Plus the single shot will fire anything where the MSR will not. Example, I like the 230 grain cast pushed by Unique to just over 1000 fps. Silly quiet and accurate in both rifles, but does not produce enough gas to operate the MSR.

The Ruger will give me what the single shot does, with the advantage of a quicker follow up shot should I need it.

I have a 308. It will not do what the blackout does. While I can load it subsonic with a heavy for caliber bullet, the 308 with the 1/10 twist barrel will not reliably stabalize the long heavy bullet at subsonic velocities.

4. Branth

Branth Member

Gotcha. I can see it for keeping the same kind of ammo as a different gun.
    I never really thought of twist rates, I suppose. I know there are subsonic 308 handload recipes, but haven't tried them.
    I see the subsonic 300 as basically a hot 45ACP (230gr bullet at about the speed of sound) so I never really saw that as a super important application.