Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/da...nd_lesson_on_gun_safety_imperial_missouri.php

Man Fatally Shoots Self While Teaching Girlfriend Lesson on Gun Safety

Mon., Sep. 21 2009 @ 3:01PM

Given the name or the victim and the stupidity of the following incident, you'd almost think this story was made up.

Then again, it did occur in Jefferson County, Missouri.

Today Jeff-Co Sheriff Oliver "Glenn" Boyer reports that 40-year-old James Looney accidentally shot himself to death last Friday, September 18, while teaching his girlfriend a lesson on firearm safety.

The incident occurred in a residence in Imperial -- about 20 miles south of St. Louis. According to witnesses, Looney's teaching method involved him placing the gun to his head and asking his girlfriend if the gun would go off.

Looney apparently did this with two other firearms and varied safety mechanisms, before the last one actually fired into his head. He was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead the next morning.

And the kicker? Witnesses say Looney was going to take his girlfriend to the shooting range the next day, but insisted on firearm safety the day prior.

Continue on to see the full press release, courtesy of the Jefferson County Sheriff.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Sigh... When will they learn? Obviously, they don't. Enjoy your long dirt nap. While you sleep, think about what you did wrong.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'm teaching my little brother "firearm" safety with BB guns... never would I ever test a safety like that... Primal, don't they teach to never rely on a mechanical safety in those NRA classes?

As for the little bro and safety... he swept me with the muzzle 2 times, he was warned next time we were going to put the bb guns away... and when he ran low on BBs he stood there at parade rest, with the rifle leaned outward towards me... I could see all the way down the barrel... Party Over.

We'll try again soon... I hope he gets the hang of this safety thing quick, because I want to let him shoot a REAL rifle (Ruger 10/22) but I can't let him until he's able to shoot BB guns without incident.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
It's hard to teach people safety. My fiance still has problems occasionally with not remembering to turn on the safety, or pointing the muzzle in an unsafe direction. I think it just takes a while to get accustomed to for those of us that aren't enthusiasts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1 question i have is, did he pull the trigger or even put his finger on the trigger to show how the safety works. if he never touched the trigger i dont see how it could go off but if he was pulling the trigger to show how the gun would not fire when the safety is engaged then i have only one thing to say. DUMB$#@ :cantlook:

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 question i have is, did he pull the trigger or even put his finger on the trigger to show how the safety works. if he never touched the trigger i dont see how it could go off but if he was pulling the trigger to show how the gun would not fire when the safety is engaged then i have only one thing to say. DUMB$#@ :cantlook:
it wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't pointed the effin thing at his head.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Wait a minute, that's not how you guys check your safety operation? That's how I do...uh never mind.

On a more serious note: what an idiot. That's one of the biggest safety-rule violations with any firearm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
isn't it in the 4 rules of firearm safety; do not point the muzzle at something you don't want to shoot (or point at a safe direction)??
Jeez, must be traumatizing for that poor girl. Hope she doesn't turn anti 2nd ammendment/ gun because of this. Way to ruin it for everyone dude.

·
Registered
833 Posts
jesus, WTF was he thinking I mean Id like to hire a pro at talking to ghost to get this guy on the line and tell me what his full game plan in his head was because it may just be the dumbest idea ever to exist in the history of the world.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
jesus, WTF was he thinking I mean Id like to hire a pro at talking to ghost to get this guy on the line and tell me what his full game plan in his head was because it may just be the dumbest idea ever to exist in the history of the world.
Yeah 'cause it definitely wasn't there afterward...

Sorry, I have an interesting sense of humor.

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
There was alcohol involved, according to what I read.
That makes about 4 major safety violations in the situation... :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts