Daughter's health book addresses gun safety

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Sep 29, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Helping my daughter do her Chapter 1 study guide for health class. THe whole first chapter is about safety. Kitchen safety, stranger dnager, natural disasters, a little of everything.

Naturally, it addresses firearm safety. When I saw the bold print saying "Firearm foresight" I thought "here we go" :rolleyes:

Then I read it....I was impressed. Nothing to interpret in any way as anti 2A.

[​IMG]

If I REALLY wanted to nitpick, I might have a problem with the "never handle a gun without adult supervision". I only say that because there have been times where a youth has saved the life of a family member with a firearm.

But considering this a health book for fifth graders, I don't have a problem with thtat

2. bws

bws Member

Well, if it's anything like the countless detroit deer hunter casualties I hear about every year, they should have prefaced that entire chapter with "You should never handle a gun without adult supervision, or after drinking alcohol, smoking pot, doing black tar heroin or meth".

3. Branth

Branth Member

I was in a feminist group meeting tonight on campus, and they were going around and asking what everyone did on the weekend. Literally my entire weekend was taken up by an IDPA shoot, so I kinda had to answer truthfully. They asked me what kind of competition, and I mentioned that it was timed, and you ran from position to position and did reloads and stuff. The response?

"With a LOADED gun?"

I wanted to shoot back "No, I just pointed it at the target and shouted 'bang.'" I managed to contain myself.

4. You could jave tried a nerf gun :)

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hmm... not too bad, really. It's a little of what I taught both of my kids when they were about 5 with two of the 3/4 standard safety rules thrown in.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. jcwit

jcwit Member

I grew up in a different world. Have been shooting and hunting since the age of 8 all by myself. Not really sure now as to actually owned my rifles, I always thought I did but mayhap they were my dad's.

Not really glad I'm old, but sure glad I grew up in the age I did.

Really doubt I could handle going to school in todays world.

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

for a public school book, I'm amazed that it says what it does. I''d almost imagine it saying to run away from it because it could go on a shooting rampage just by someone looking at it.

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i am so freaking let down right now. I opened this thread expecting to ber outraged and all ou have is a health book trying to actually teach someone something with REAL common sense.

Seriously this gives me some hope that the PA public school system is not all bad. Gives me hope for my son. They are going to have their hands full with him. he is well behaved but he thinks for himself.

9. tallbump

Sorry guys, this isn't a public. She's in a private, Christian school.

It's not cheap, but it's worth it :D

10. My only concern is, what is the teacher's background with or knowledge of firearms? And the same for whoever wrote the book. I have a problem with people teaching others (especially children) about something they have no knowledge of or experience with. And before some of you go off half cocked just ask yourself, would you want your child to learn how to drive from someone who doesn't have a license and has no driving experience?

11. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I'm not sure where your comments come from here. I don't see anything about this being a lesson plan or "hands on" firearms safety.

My $.02 worth.

12. tallbump

Exactly. It was one small section in a chapter of like 10 pages. Her study guide had 2 questions total about firearm safety, both of which were good questions. Honestly, I don't even think the teacher actually talked about the subject

13. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I would hope that the person teaching the class has a background in health education. By the time my son is in the 5th grade he will probably know more about firearms than his health teacher. When it comes to driving he will be taught the basics in a field much the same as i was and the rest of his family. This basic level of instruction of both driving and firearms ownership comes from home. If his mother and i can give him a solid base to learn from then it makes it much more likely that someone won't be able to turn him into a blithering idiot.

What we are all saying is that we are surprised that the health book does not say that we must turn all firearms over to the state because based on color, type of action, and potential use they are inherantly evil.

Tallbump i commend you for actually reading and reviewing what your daughter is learning in school. it is much easier to catch any potential problems that may arise that way.

14. tallbump

Well, being a small private school, except for things like music, gym, art...it's one teacher for all subjects. SO i have no idea of her knowledge of health, safety, or firearms.

But this particular curriculum is covering things like stop, drop and roll. Get into a basmement or the lowest ground possible in case of a tornado (not to be confused with a Sharknado), and don't hold an umbrella in a rain storm.

I think I am ok with the gun safety section and her teacher possibly addressing it in this context.

I do my best to stay on top of what she is being taught. I might miss some, but I do what I can

15. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Just like any parent should!

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good for you.

One of my pet peeves...parents who say, I just can't understand this math my kid is doing, it nothing like what I learned in school.

News flash...math hasn't changed, we do teach it earlier, maybe we use different words, but algebra is still algebra.

Get your kid to teach it to you. They'll learn it better, and you'll be able to help them, not to mention, it's some quality time.

17. tallbump

Ugh, you hit a nerve AL. When my daughter was in second grade we had to go to a meeting at her school so they could teach us ht new way they were teaching math. I'm talking basics, like adding and subtracting.

You, know, instead of the RIGHT way, like adding right to left, carrying the one and done.

Not it's left to right and takes way more steps. It's friggin ridiculous. Come on, subtraction left to right? Oh, I hated that stuff

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Huh? This is how we do it. Add the ones, carry, add the tens, carry, etc...Sheesh...formatting won't hold, the dashes are to line things up.

+1259
    ______

+1259
    ______

+1259
    ______

+1259
    ______

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. I think we just forget so much of it.
    Even in what I do. I use math all the freaking time. But I let my Excell sheet or stats program do it. So I can barely even divide with a pencil anymore