Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a little Davis P-380. I paid the guy 50 bucks for it. It's in great condition. In fact I think I'm the last guy to shoot it as I messed with it a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I put a few rounds downrange, and it seemed to do just fine. Is there anything I need to watch out for? Any quirks?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Been a long time, but near as I recall:
finicky about ammo, ball worked fine though.
striker fired didn't trust it with one in the chamber.

I got the one I had cheap and didn't keep it long. I didn't have any problems with it, just had a friend looking for a small pistol and there was no reason to keep it. Considering what you paid for it and as long as it works well--you should be very pleased with yourself.

G

·
I heard from a guy at this range my sisters boyfriends boss shoots at that they blow up.

JK. I'd check out the Jennings Forum, i think they have a section dedicated to Davis firearms.

·
1,792 Posts
Hey, if it works GREAT. just remember NOT all pinto's were as bad as they were said to be.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine will eat anything I've fed it. Haven't had a single problem and they're easy to break down. I bought mine from my neighbor, who also said he's never had a problem with it, round nose or hollow points. I've shot both as well.

G

·
I had one of those and I liked it. Not very accurate at much past 15 feet or so. For the price I would have bought a Bryco. It would make a good BUG but to depend on one I just never trusted them. I hated the mag release too. No matter the gun I hate a butt mag release.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
they're the descendant comapny of raven arms. You can see the raven heritage in the lines of the davis guns. never owned one, but repaired and test fired one years ago. Seemed fine to me.

Oh BTW P7196 it HEEL mag release. you refer to it a "butt release" and you may be accused of cracking a fart.

SW

·
Registered
799 Posts
I accually owned one for several years
From my what I saw they have a kinda low round life to them
I put about 300 rounds though mine and it was starting to show more wear than I was happy with
But those 300 rounds to my recollection fired flawlessly prolly would have gone another 300 without a hitch too.
I just got rid of it cuz I like to shoot my weapons alot and I didnt know how well it would hold up to alot of use.
For a good BUG that isnt going to get fired alot I think it is a good choice and at the price if you start to see some wear to the internals after a while just replace it not like its going to break the bank.

Oh my brother inlaws aunt heard a guy at the range telling a story about a guy he knew that had one blow up............................Poor guy couldnt defend himself and and he got probed by little green men
:shock:

·
Registered
735 Posts
looks like new , i used to have a davis in the 80s it keept misfiring. but i heard they are a lot better made now, and for the price, looks like a good deal. :lol:

G

·
Yeah my uncles brothers wifes sisters cousins cousins boyfriends brothers wifes sisters boss' sons brothers wifes cousins sister had one and it worked flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, and thanks rimfirehunter for the tip.

I may be the only guy who has fired this gun. I used to work with the guy I bought it from. He bought two together one day at Big R. Fast forward to a couple of years later, he asks me to clean and shoot them to make sure they are decent to fire. I did as he asked, and had fun doing it. I told him if he ever wanted to part with one or both, to let me know. Fast forward again, he's been retired for a few years. He and his wife sold all their stuff and bought a 5th wheel and a truck. He's just tired of hiding his guns against theft, and he doesn't have permits in some of the states he travels. Asks me if I'm still interested. Yep, sure am! The rest, as they say, is history. I got a good deal, he got a good deal.

He also has a High Standard Sport King from way back, and (had) a Marlin 39a. I told him he could sell those for more than I could pay him at the time.

G

·
Haven't owned this gun, but shot one on many outings with friends. I put several mags through them without any problems as did my friends. It handled nicely..., wasn't the straightest shooter we had out there, but decent enough.

Keep in mind though..., these ARE NOT range guns. They're not really designed to go out and put 200 rounds through them on the weekends. These are a (quick grab self defense weapon). They're good nightstand and tackle-box weapons...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts