DAYTONA 500

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SHOOTER Z, Feb 17, 2008.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Anyone out here besides me watching the Daytona 500?

2. Troller98

Troller98 Member

Nope, I used to be a huge NASCAR fan, but over the past 5 years they have ruined it for me as a fan. The stupid end of season "chase for the cup" the new "car of the future", if I wanted to watch IROC I would watch IROC.

Sorry, I am kind of bitter.

Go Martin Truex Jr.!

3. +1. I stopped watching NASCAR 2-3 years ago. I used to be the hugest fan and would never miss a race. They changed the forula on me, and I just never could get used to the new one.

4. urotu

urotu Member

NASCAR

Non Athletic Sports Centered Around Rednecks

:eek: :) :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm kidding, as much as I like cars, I can't stand watching racing on TV. Golf is more exciting.

5. That is funny!!!!! I know people that would hang you in there front yard for saying that!!!!!!! Then agian you might find a car in that yard and be able to escape!!! lol lol :lol: :lol:

6. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

CLASSIC!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

we all know why we watch racing on tv. were waiting for the CRASHES!

SW

8. SHOOTER Z

Why don't you all really say waht you feel about it! I just like the racing and the crashes. Oh well I will enjoy it,you guys go about your boring lives :lol:

9. Used to like it... this whole "Chase for the cup" nonsense still has me shaking my head. Took the competition out of it IMO.

10. urotu

urotu Member

Yeah, I have lots of NASCAR fan friends myself, I have to duck for cover everytime I use that line :lol:

I have to admit I like the wrecks too, as morbid as it sounds. I think that's why most watch them, but man, lap after lap just starts getting to me. And anymore, you really don't see too many wrecks.

I also have top admit that since Dale Sr. died, I don't like seeing the crashes as much as I used to either. You kind of take for granted all the safety features built in and don't expect anything like that to happen, you know?

As far as the "car of the future" goes, I can name at a few people in every generation that quit watching during every decade for the same reasons. Stock car racing has gone so far away from "stock" cars in it's life, it's amazing. I mean it used to be like the dirt tracks still are today, with even less restrictions.

But hey, if you like it man, watch away. I'm just bitter because football's over. :D :D :D

11. SHOOTER Z

I don't know about being non athletic try driving 5oo miules at those speeds getting bumped and banged around sitting in 1 seat and see if you could do it. They have to be physically and mentally fit to do this

12. urotu

urotu Member

I know, I was being a smart donkey. Those guys have to be pretty fit, temperatures get high. L:ike I said in my last post, I'm just bitter football's done.

13. I turned the race off. The reception wasn't that good and all I got to see was the advertisements.3 min.race 5min. adds.Missed so much it wsan't funny.
    For us well over 40 types I can remember the cars thay raced you could buy at the dealerships.
    Anyone remember the midyear changes ford made to improve the 1963 Galaxie roof line?

14. I just sat through it. Never watch races. reason being my new hi-def 56" LCD projector. thought hi-def crashes would be cool. All i can say is YAWN. that's a few hours I'll never get back.

15. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Guest

Yea I too have stopped watchin since IMO the greatest driver in history was killed just 7 short years ago today. I don't like the changes they have made to the sport. I mean it aint racin no more it's just a show for the sponsers. I do however agree with some of the safety features they have mandated. But if them guys want to drive 230mph let them do it, if the fans don't feel safe, move the fans back further. Then let them run what they brung,just like in the good ole days.

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

The best nascar races i have seen (I'm 21) has been when it was the WINSTON CUP, It went downhill when it was the nextel cup, sliding farther down now it's the Sprint Cup... THE BUSCH SERIES IS NOW THE NATIONWIDE SERIES? Whiskey Tango Fox?

"Race for the cup" LOL! The new system was designed to put more emphasis on winning races rather than consistently finishing well without necessarily winning. In 2003, Matt Kenseth was the Winston Cup champion despite winning only one race while Ryan Newman, who won eight races, finished only sixth.

17. I had quit watching NASCAR for a long time. Then my oldest son (now five) decided he was going to like it. Ever since he was four years old he got interested in it, and learned every one of them, including their teams, sponsors, car make, etc. So we got started watching it with him. I have to admit, it's definitely nothing like it used to be.

I'm also in the anti-restrictor-plate crowd. If they don't want them running that fast, drop in a four-cylinder engine instead. At least then they'd be a LITTLE more like stock cars. Better yet, make them front wheel drive like their factory counterparts. The only time I'll ever see a Toyota Camry with a 358 cubic inch engine in it is when Bubba gets a hold of it.

wizard93

18. SHOOTER Z

I liked their opening ceremony this year with the old cars and with the surviving winners up on the stage I did like and YES I had tears in my eyes when they brought out Dale's old #3 during Brooks and Dunn's song. That brought a lot of tears and choked sobs from a lot out there drivers and fans alike.

I admit this race was a lot calmer then any other untill the end when they really pulled all stops and raced.....And for all you who didn't see the end Randy Newman won it!!!! By sqweaking by at the end :wink:

19. I'm not reall a NASCAR fan, I prefer CART Series Racing but I am glad that Team Penske won.

20. Shooter I think his name is Ryan Newman.