Dead Barrel

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by z71silverado98, Jan 1, 2008.

1. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Coming up on around 2,000 plus rounds one shot feels like its low on powder and the bullet doesn't even hit the paper. I figured it was a weak round or squib that lost its jacket so I wait 20s then check the barrel, nothing stuck in the barrel. I rack another round and the barrel moves protruding about 1/8" past the slide. Something is not right, so I remove the round and upon further inspection realize I've got a crack straight across the top of my feed ramp. I was shooting WWB and have shot no more than 50rnds of +p and +p+ combined during its use. normally its Blazer Alum or WWB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Man that sucks :shock:

3. Whoa carnage. Well box her up and a trip to Ohio.

4. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Oddly enough even though the ramp is toast, the barrel will still not explode or throw the slide backwards if you shot w/ it (assuming you could chamber a round)

5. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

Yep, that Sucks. Poor Lil' C9 :cry:

6. You meant the slide and barrel didn't fly farther than Tom Brady could have thrown it???

7. Do you think that the +P and +P+ rounds may have had anything to do with it? Something stressed it enough to break it there.

8. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

I seriously doubt it. only 50 rounds in 2,000 were +p+/+p and that was when i first bought the gun, almost 2 years ago.

9. That sucks. Good thing you were paying enough attention to hear a difference. I've only had one squib incident, in my Blackhalk (reloaded bullets with very little powder, not mine) and I'm glad I caught, first one hit the ground about 20 feet in front of me, the second one got lodged in the barrel. The day ended right there.

10. man that sucks. Can't say I feel your pain. But I really don't think the +P+ ammo is the culprit. I can't say from the pictures, but looks like some metal fatigue might be there. Who know's.

11. Another thought is that there was a weak spot inside the metal from the day of casting and it finally worked its way to a surface break. I used to work at a foundry and it does happen.

12. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

im with waltham on this one. id have to look close at it to see for sure but from your pics it looks as though it it has a "work" spot in teh center of the break. send er' in, its not your fault.

SW

13. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Actually it looks as if the break started on the under side of the barrel from stress of the barrel bucking as the slide recoils, as if it was ripped off by the anchor point.

14. It's good you didn't get hurt. Good catch. It's a good reminder to me to learn how my guns sound when I fire them, and listen for different sounds.

Tthanks for posting this.

15. hey z71silverado98, make sure keep us update about the respond/repair from Hi Point.

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'm glad z71 is taking this so easy, i believe i'd curse, cry, and then curse some more if this ever happened to me. Sorry that happened to you bud, but hey, at least the lifetime warranty will come to your rescue.
    ps:That looks very dangerous.

17. Ya' that sucks, but you have to love the Hi-Point customer service!!

18. Thats why he is taking it so well I think lol. Just box it up send it back and it gets fixed. I love Hi Point!!!!!

Sorry to hear for your loss. But in this case it can be replaced glad you didnt get hurt..

19. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

I hope this is a fairly uncommon thing that happens to Hi-Points, I am sorry for your loss but Hi-Point will resurrect her...:p they are gods ;)

20. As far as I know it is fairly uncommon. There has only been a couple of posts in the forum new and old since I have became a member where parts actually broke on the weapons.

Anything make by man can break, so I think they have a pretty good track record.