Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i went to the local range after work, I always go there to pick up brass, anyways There was a kid there had to be in his early twenty's like a idiot i didn't get his name or any other info, any-who we got to talking and he asked if i wanted to buy a couple pistols so naturally i said maybe whatch ya got? He produced a xd tactical in 40s&w and a Sig mosquito, they both looked brand spank-in new. I asked him how much and he fed me a story about how he needs to get to anchorage and needs cash right now. So he said $200 for both. Well i got all hyped and handed over $200 cash without thinking about it. I got home and wiped em down, and then the bells started going off. Why would you sell 1000$ worth of pistols for $200?? So i am thinking that tomorrow morning i am going straight to the police station with em. I will explain what happened and turn em over to em. I think they will probably take em and then let me know weather or not they are stolen. I figure one of two things will happen. 1 they come back clean and i just got a awesome deal....ya right or two they come back stolen. hopefully then they can go to the rightful owner. If they are stolen I hope somebody has a talk with him about securing his gear better. The way i figure it worse case they are stolen and i am out my 200 but if that is the case then i can live with losing 200 dollars if it helps keep two weapons off the street which is were they probably would have wound up. Do you guys think i am just being paranoid or smart????

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. $1000 worth of arms for $200? Something isn't right. Dunno what it is, but getting them researched is a step in the right direction.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i figured and I dont see how i could get in any trouble for it. I men if i waited a few days then ya i could see it but not with gettin it taken care of right away.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I just got off the phone with the local PD dispatch. They said to take em by the state troopers dispatch and they would run em for me. She said they would help with the issue if they are stolen if not then they would likely offer to buy em from me...lol....I think i can sleep now. I will post tomorrow night and let you guys now how it turns out. If it is all god i will even post a pick so you can drool over em. I hope it is good as my wife loves the Sig...lol

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
anytime i get a "too good to be true" seller, i usually call teh PD ont he spot and have them run the serials. if the guy freaks, they're stolen. if not theyre good to go.

SW

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Any word on this yet Bob? For your sake, I hope you just got the deal of a lifetime, as when I get to Alaska, you can sell me that XD for $200.00 and make all your money back... ;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Honestly, when I frist read what you wrote, I thought bringing them in (right off the bat) was a HORRIBLE idea. Glad you called ahead, bud. There's no need for them to have the weapons to run the serial numbers. At least if you find out bad news, you're not immediately out of options.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Honestly, when I frist read what you wrote, I thought bringing them in (right off the bat) was a HORRIBLE idea. Glad you called ahead, bud. There's no need for them to have the weapons to run the serial numbers. At least if you find out bad news, you're not immediately out of options.
Huge +1. I'd never bring a weapon to the police around here. Once they had it in their hands I'm sure it would be "stolen." Shoot, when my fiance's grandfather was killed in a car wreck the police stole his CCW.

Hopefully it turns out that his story is ligit...I've heard of people making worse deals than that to get money (though it's generally for drugs). A guy around here sold a friend of mine a 2.8ghz P4 Dell (that was a big deal at the time) with a 19" LCD for $50 so he could buy crack. The same guy later sold him a PSP for $20, a PS2 for $20, and a set of car subwoofers but I can't remember how much those went for.

If they come back clean, you definitely scored hardcore. It'd be hard for me to even keep those pistols at that price though. I'd be tempted to sell at least one of em and buy something you really want with it!

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
wow, I hope it's a deal. You're smart to have the numbers run. Let us know how it pans out.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If it turns out legit, that is probably the best thing that will have happened to you in 2009.

If not, it was only $200, and the guns didn't get sold to a hood rat and may get returned to the original owner(s), which could still be a nice warm-fuzzy thing even though you wouldn't get to keep 'em.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
OK I just got off the phone with the local PD dispatch. They said to take em by the state troopers dispatch and they would run em for me. She said they would help with the issue if they are stolen if not then they would likely offer to buy em from me...lol....I think i can sleep now. I will post tomorrow night and let you guys now how it turns out. If it is all god i will even post a pick so you can drool over em. I hope it is good as my wife loves the Sig...lol
What ? Is there somekind of odd "Palin" rule up there, that the PD "would likely offer to buy em from you?" I have some I would happy to sell, think they would "open purchase" any others????? Sounds a little ODD to me ????? any explanation?

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What ? Is there somekind of odd "Palin" rule up there, that the PD "would likely offer to buy em from you?" I have some I would happy to sell, think they would "open purchase" any others????? Sounds a little ODD to me ????? any explanation?
Ya the xplination is she was joking with me about how good of a deal it was.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ya i hope it turns out great for ya to.who in the right mind would'nt say if
it's not stolen i will buy them from you. :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wow man I hope this one works out well for ya. That would be a great deal if it's legit!

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Ya i hope it turns out great for ya to.who in the right mind would'nt say if
it's not stolen i will buy them from you. :D
Dude, you can't. I already called dibs on 'em.

:D :p ;)

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK here is what happened today. AT about 9am i went to the trooper post and had em ran. THEY CAME BACK CLEAN!!!! So i went to the range with some 22 ammo and found that i love the SIG!! However i got a call around 5pm from the trooper i had been dealing with. He said that he had some bad news. Turns out the weapons were stolen however it was reported to the M.P.'s as it happened on Base. The M.P.s hadn't filed any paperwork on em yet. So i went and turned them over to the State troopers. The trooper was very nice about the whole deal and we wound up talking for about 45 mins or so. He apologized several times to me for getting my hopes up earlier on in the day. I told him that it was OK and I am glad they are going back to the rightful owner. I would be devastated if that happened to me. The owner is a Army brother who bought them when he got home from deployment to the sandbox. He said they were stolen out of his truck. As for the a-hole that sold them to me, hopes of catching him are slim to none, but you can bet if i see him again the issue will be resolved and he will be spending some quality time behind bars! So ya i am out 200 but like i told the trooper 200 to keep a couple of pistols off the streets and get them back home were they belong is a price i can live with all day long. So moral of the story stuff that is to good to be true likely is! and next time i need to stay calm and get more in-tell on the guy who is selling. You would think as a formal LEO I would have done this. I could thoroughly kick my own arse for it. :'( :'( :'( :cantlook: :cantlook:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Awww man, I was really hoping youd get em. Sorry for the way it turned out... I hope that SOB gets caught and does some jail time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Don't let it get you too down.there will be more deal's out there maybe not like that but im sure good enough.do you
for a fact the cops aren't lieing?and did you describe the guy to the cops?i really hope this guy is caught.so this mean's
you can but a gun from an individual without having to go through any kind of process? just asking because i didn't know,
even though a few years ago i sold my what's it called,..oh ya 32 darringer to a friend without doing anything but didn't really
ever think about it.hope it's not in my name still for one, my friend has already put his ruger 9 under his chin and bullet through his
head and roof and lived.sorry for blabbing on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts