Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any particular experience with this round, I'm not looking for another hunting round as I use the .308 or bows for deer and hogs. I remember shooting this round a long time ago at my grandpa's over long distances, saw a used bolt action (beat up stock) chambered for it recently for not a bad price and got a little nostalgic.

Any input?

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
A little outdated IMHO. it has been soundly eclipsed by the 7mm short mags and other 7mm rounds. recoil is more than it should be for a 25 caliber round.

it will propel those same 25 caliber pills faster than just about any other 25 caliber save the weatherbys' and H&H smallbores. its a midum game round that had good punch but the 25 caliber bullet limits it. the biggest 25 cal bullet you cna get is 117-120 grs. that limits you from most large game past deer size. a 7mm can be loaded all teh way up to 170 grs which gives you options of larger game.

overall its a good round but its limited scope of use handicaps it compared to more modern rounds.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ I remember it having a little punch to it, but then again I was a kid.

I just checked out what hawks had to say about the round, nothing to bad.

Think I might just get the durn thing and find some light loads and have fun with the childhood flashbacks :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good round for Texas deer-- but too specific for my tastes... I was raised on 30-06 so that is the only round for me...

Really though, the 25-06 is a great flat shooting round with enough "ummph" for deer sized game- it is a gentle push (from me shooting a CVA Optima Elite) and not hard on the shoulder. I think reloading would be the way to go, but the round is a good shooter..

·
Registered
37 Posts
There will always be arguements to its viability, think lots of it is just the case that it is a wildcat -06. I personally find it great for whitetail and antelope, the cartridge allows the bullet to do what it was meant to do instead of passing clear thru w/o much expansion like many magnums w/ a similar projectile. I have personally found the 117-120gr stuff to be far better suited for medium game. I really like the Rem 120gr core-lokts, but win, fed, hornady and others usu. use a 117gr round.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldn't get the one via the pwn shop since I had to drop a grand in the Jeep. Going the lay-a-way route instead...just a few more weeks :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
funny this should be brought up, i'm researching a general rifle, mainly for coyotes, so i was deciding between the .243, .270 and th .25-06. I'm going with the Savage .243, light loads coyotes and heavy loads will take from a Muley down. .270 is too much for yotes, but would go up to an Elk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts