Debating...380 v 9mm

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by first_pistol, Jan 11, 2018.

1. first_pistol

first_pistol JHP 45 acp Member

I recently found out that the pawn shop next to one of my jobs caries hi point pistols new and used (when available). So my question is between the 380 and 9mm what's the dis/advantage between the 2?

I know the 380 is a marginally smaller round and ammo cost is higher than the 9mm. Does the 380 seem to have the same issues as the c9?

Lastly what would your opinions be on offering a price? From what I've seen their marked rather high but the guy when talking to him said the price wasn't set on the used ones.

daveindenver likes this.
  2. Cynical

Cynical Member

I’d go 9mm. They are the same size and use the same magazines so you are not going to save any weight with the 380. 9mm cheaper ammo.

daveindenver and eldarbeast like this.

3. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

9mm, unless you're recoil sensitive

daveindenver and eldarbeast like this.
  4. first_pistol

first_pistol JHP 45 acp Member

Am leaning towards the 9mm anyway, so that just helps with decision.

What would a fair offer be to make? Seems like the used ones are marked about $20-30 less than new and thought of seeing if they'd go for ~$100

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
    Depends on your area for price. Here if it's like new it's a $100 tops.

6. Just a quickie, S.O.G. has NEW C-9 Hi Points for $119.

Pistolkitty likes this.
  7. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

I'd hem and haw then I "reluctantly" offer $79.

eldarbeast likes this.
  8. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

You may get the used .380 for less then the 9mm as they’re “less power, completely unsuitable for self defense, wouldn’t kill a possum if you shoot it in the head yadayadayada”.
    I have two ( non HP) .380’s that I switch carrying. Great thing about the .380 now is that HP also makes a .380 carbine in case you decide your gun is lonely.
    So .380 or 9mm whichever you can get cheaper.
    Come back and tell us.
    Max $100 out the door so tax included. Be prepared to walk away.
    And come back the next day.
    In my experience pawnshops rather go for the quick sale and move the produce then holding on in the hopes they’ll get $20 more a month later.
    Glocks and the likes sell like hot cakes with crack sprinkles so you’re wouldn’t be able to talk them down on a Glock.
    They know very well HP buyers are frugal.

Here’s a pawnshop tip:
    The regular Joe Shmoe sales guy is not allowed to offer more then 25%-30% for the stuff they buy or take in. So if the gun is marked $129.99 they probably paid $45 for it.
    Don’t go in offering $50, leave them some meat on the bone.
    Start with like half the asking price..maybe $70 then take it from there. Almost every Joe Shmoe sales guy is authorized to give you 10% off without additional manager approval.
    So you’ve already got that in your pocket. But that’s a ‘free’ 10% so don’t go for his counter offer of 10% off.
    This is a sport to me :cowboy:

Some good info here by the way

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. cruiser

cruiser Member

Yeah swaga, I watched that ammo quest video a couple weeks back. Changed my opinion. I would have though the Hornaday Critical Defence would be at the top, but it wasn't. Using the Federal Hydra-Shok now as my 380 of choice for my micro.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Good skinny!
    Glad to have you back, SWAGA!

eldar

rowiebowie likes this.
  11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

I have two .380 HP's, and three 9 mm. The used guns (all but 1 of the 9 mm) were all 100% reliable from the first use. The NIB model needed some break in, or a bit of mag tweaking.

But...I THINK the .380 may be less problem prone, ONLY because of the typical ammo shape. 9 mm is pointier, and can be quite varied in OAL, while .380 tends to be round nosed and closer to the same OAL between brands and loads, also, the JHP in .380 isn't as differently shaped from FMJ, as the typical 9mm is.

That said...get the 9 mm, unless you just really want a .380, or want the absolute least recoil in a centerfire handgun ever....shooting the .380 is a pleasure, very easy on the hands.