Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been wondering ever since i got my 995 if it would be enough gun for deer. ive read some ballistics tables on 9mm ammo and its muzzle energy is not promising but then again the tests were done out of a pistol with a short barrel. what kind of increase in energy (if any) is made with the 16.5" barrel of the 995? another thing is what kind of ammo to use if you did hunt? the low penetrating hollow point or the non expanding fmj? they dont make hunting rounds for the 9mm atleast not that ive seen. maybe a semi- wadcutter lead bullet would be a good mix of penetration and expansion?
if anyone out there has actually killed whitetails with a 995 then id really like to know. maybe some of you coyote hunters could shed some light on how well the rounds penetrate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
9mm really is a bit light for white tail. If I was going to hunt them with it, though, I'd use +P hollowpoints and I'd limit my shots to 25 yards or less. Head shot if possible.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get a hunting rifle or at least a mosin!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about the 995 but it'd be better with the 40 cal version. i've read ballistics that such a round is comparable to comparable to 10mm when fired from the longer barrel of a carbine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got a hunting rifle...my 700 sps-v in 308 win. but its freakin heavy so its not fun luggin 10 - 11 pounds of gun around the woods. once i get to my spot its great, just flip down the bipod and lay down behind it. the reason im wandering about using the carbine is incase i see a deer on my way out to or back from my hunting spot. the idea is to sling the 700 on my back and carry the carbine in ready position. also if a deer happens to get behind me at close range then i can just grab the carbine, turn, and shoot. yeah im carrying 2 guns but im young, i can handle it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It all depends on shot placement. My brother shot his first mule deer with a .223. It did kill the deer eventually. It took him about 2 days to find it. By the time he did the coyotes has already gotten to it. His shot was a good shot, it just hit a rib and didn't penetrate in far enough to kill it quikly. I sure wouldn't want to carry two guns... what if you get a kill. Then you are packing out two guns and a deer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive got a hunting rifle...my 700 sps-v in 308 win. but its freakin heavy so its not fun luggin 10 - 11 pounds of gun around the woods. once i get to my spot its great, just flip down the bipod and lay down behind it. the reason im wandering about using the carbine is incase i see a deer on my way out to or back from my hunting spot. the idea is to sling the 700 on my back and carry the carbine in ready position. also if a deer happens to get behind me at close range then i can just grab the carbine, turn, and shoot. yeah im carrying 2 guns but im young, i can handle it.
One is to heavy to lugg around so you are wanting to carry another one with lol. I'm not here much but it seems every time I am this question is being asked. If you want a bush gun get a 30/30 IMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It all depends on shot placement. My brother shot his first mule deer with a .223. It did kill the deer eventually. It took him about 2 days to find it. By the time he did the coyotes has already gotten to it. His shot was a good shot, it just hit a rib and didn't penetrate in far enough to kill it quikly. I sure wouldn't want to carry two guns... what if you get a kill. Then you are packing out two guns and a deer.
well i dont normally drag my deer very far if at all. i field dress it and hike back to the house for a truck.
and as far as the 30-30 goes...compare that to a 995. the 995 is much smaller and packable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts