Defensive ammo for 995 carbine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by phippster, Dec 21, 2014.

1. phippster

phippster Member

I recently purchased a 995 TS carbine. I love the way it shoots and have had no problems with it. I want to be prepared to use it for home defense but have heard that 9mm hollow points will expand too rapidly when fired from a carbine. Just wondering what kind of rounds you guys would recommend for HD.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just buy whatever inexpensive JHP rounds you want. So what if they over expand? You're still going to be getting plenty of penetration with that expansion.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Indeed a lot do over expand and fragment when pushed to fast but I really wouldn't worry to much there's no magic bullet.

I really like gold dots they can be overdriven a good ways. probably the same for most bonded bullets.

The only hollow point bullet I have found that doesn't over expand is the winchester pdx1 problem is u have to pull completed rounds to reload them hotter. With to much speed they turn from a wide hollow point into more of a metorite shape.

4. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I have been testing hollow points on deer heads. From my limited testing heavier hollow points that are not +P rated are performing best. Critical Duty 135gr seems to be the best balance of mass and velocity. The 115gr Gold Dot also did very well.

You would think 124 gr bullets would be best since 357 sig bullets are 125gr. But the 125gr 357sig bullet is constructed differently. The hole in hollow points designed for the 357sig is very shallow compared to other calibers.

I have not tested the bullet yet. I would bet the Federal Hi Shok is going to be the best bullet for a carbine. The standard velocity Hi Shok is notorious for not expanding. Yet the +P+ Hi Shok is devastating. The carbine should boost the velocity of the standard Hi Shok to +P+ velocity. I have tested the +P+ version of the Hi Shock. The exit wound blew a good chunk out of the deer head. But all I caught in the water jugs were fragments. It is a shame because the +P+ Hi Shok should have a velocity of over 1,500 fps. The standard Ferderal Hi Shok is 9BP. The +P+ Hi Shok is 9BPLE.

Once the holidays pass I am going to start calling ammo manufacturers to see what bullets they recommend for the 995TS.

Here are a couple links to decent priced SD ammo.
    http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/9MM-Ammunition-Bulk-s/1817.htm
    http://sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. pipermac

pipermac Member

I would be interested in what they say. i am going to buy a box of xtreme 124 hp and load them with some titegroup and see what we get.

6. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I have been using deer heads because they are free and easy to get. I am sure there is a better medium than deer heads and water to test bullets. Water actually stops bullets faster than ballistic gelatin. Water also makes bullets expand more than ballistic gelatin. Not to mention the deer heads are different sizes and bone thickness. One good thing about the deer heads is I have never heard of anyone being attacked by a blob of ballistic gelatin. Most attackers have skin and bones. Deer hide is tougher than human skin. Regardless we want the bullet to remain intact or at least most of it.

CI makes a 9mm JSP. I have never fired a JSP in a 9mm. I shot a deer with a Fiocchi 357mag 125gr JSP in the chest. The JSP penetrated over 30 inches of deer before coming to a stop. The JSP did expand and stay together but I shot the deer with a pistol at less than 15 yards.

7. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

Freedom Munitions makes good ammo. Unless you just want the better accuracy of the hollow point for practice or competition, get new brass for SD. Freedom Munitions doesn't roll crimp their SD ammo, they taper it.

New brass helps prevent set back. FM can only taper a case .004 to stop the bullet from being set back when the bullet is chambered without accuracy going downhill.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/handguns/squeeze-play-how-to-properly-crimp-ammunition/

8. aeroe

aeroe Member

The bullet type you may want is the Hornady XTP.

"...This bullet excels for sport shooting and provides excellent accuracy in an affordable price. The X-Treme hollow point is the exact same bullet used by some of the top shooters in 3 Gun, USPSA, IPSC and IDPA, This bullet is not however ideal for home defense or law enforcement purposes."

9. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I really don't want anything freedom munitions has to offer for self defense. I want roll crimped ammo for self defense. You are going to load and unload your carbine for various reasons. I have seen tapered cartridges set back but I have never seen a roll crimped cartridge set back without the aid of a hammer. I also want a nickel plated case. If for whatever reason I have to sit on my SD ammo I do not want fingerprints ruining my ammo. It doesn't take long at all for a fingerprint to start corrosion, especially if your ammo is exposed to the elements.

If you want self defense ammo check out ammunition depot or sgammo. Freedom Munitions is for plinking and shooting competitions you have no chance of winning. You are just competing to get some low cost training from people who shoot better and faster than you.

10. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I did see some ammo that has great potential for the carbine. The bullet was clogged by denim and did not expand when fired from a G19. However, if you send that same bullet downrange north of 1,400 fps it will expand, denim or no denim. This is the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ T series. It is relatively expensive at $30 for 50 rounds. However you are not going to be shooting a lot of this ammo from your carbine. If you use your carbine for a bedside weapon a box should last close to 4 years. Unless you have a large yard you should not need to do any testing. If the bullet shoots two inches high at 50 yards you will not notice the difference at 10 yards or less.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSY018CXRi8[/ame]