Delta Elite and Bren Ten both back from the dead!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NWdude83, Feb 23, 2008.

1. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

10mm, the only round ever to be dissmissed by the FBI as too powerful for most agents. ALL HAIL THE DELTA ELITE!

SW

3. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

If I were to buy a brand new 10mm 1911, I would either get the new Delta Elite, a Dan Wesson Razorback, or if I wanted to spend over a $1,000 I would get the Kimber Eclispe Custom II. But I think I am probably going to get the EAA Elite Limited instead.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Get a glock 20, all the advantages of a 1911 and it holds 16 rounds to boot.

SW

5. Yea I read an article about the Bren Ten a month or two ago, good to see they are on shelves. Might have to pick one up one day.

6. wow... interesting thought pattern. Remind me to kick you for such blasphemy if we ever meet. :x

7. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

Not looking for a polymer 10mm. Note the fact that its the only polymer 10mm... Besides, my dad owns one and I can always just borrow it. The EAA Elite Limited holds 15+1rds too.

8. Silicon Wolverine

ROFLMAO! :lol:

SW

9. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

sexeh!

I love the 10mm, only one LEO in my area uses one and everyone else thinks he is nuts.

10. I have never shot the 10mm, but damn it, I want to! I have actually heard from people at the range that the 10mm is similiar in recoil to my .50 AE Desert Eagle, and IMHO, I find that hard to believe.

11. Silicon Wolverine

depends on the load. standard FBI load 180 grs are pretty light. Full bore 155 gr 1525 FPS handloads are just at the limit of what i can control.

SW

12. I can't see the 10mm loaded to normal specs being anywhere near what the 50 AE is.

13. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

Fully loaded, I heard its more like .357mag or even .44mag .

14. I can see a heavy charge being that of a 44 mag in a heavy frame such as a super redhawk. Last thing I need is another specialty load that I'd have to reload for with hard to find components.

15. Silicon Wolverine

My 1525FPS load is right on par with standard .44 mag loads comparing solely by foot pounds. Most FBI loads are on par with 41 mags or hot .357s.

Oh and to explain "FBI load" (had a PM on that one), when the FBI first adopted the 10mm with full power rounds, 60% of thier agents could not control it. They went to a downloaded version with a heavier bullet at slower speeds. Good in theory but not so good in practice for this caliber. Most 10mm shooters call standard downloaded commercial 10mm ammo as the "FBI load" or "10mm light".

SW

16. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

www.midwayusa.com
    Search term "10mm" like 20 page result.

17. Meh. Not a huge fan of crossover calibers so much other than the 40s&w.

I won't bother with calibers like 357sig/10mm/50gi/etc. They are just calibers that are an answer to unasked questions.

I really don't see a need for them or to invest in a while another caliber.

If I want lightening speed rounds, I can shoot my super hot 357mags or even my 7.62x25 CZ52.

18. 45Man

45Man Member

Wasn't the 40S&W intended to replace the Std FBI load 10mm?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S&W
    In 1990, I had the opportunity to fire the 10mm Delta Elite. It had a nasty report (i.e., LOUD). They had a tendency to batter the frame pretty well, so it's not something you want to fire a lot.

19. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

Exactly how is the 10mm a crossover caliber? Is the 9mm or .45ACP crossover calibers then?

20. Silicon Wolverine

The 40 S&W standard load is a ways under what the 10mm load was. very close ballistically for impact point but the 10mm carried more foot/lbs because it was travelling faster.

as for the original delta elite, Colt had issues with them tearing frames up because they simply stuck a 10mm slide and stronger recoil spring on a basic 1911 frame that couldnt handle the stress of a hot rod like the 10mm. My glock 20 is a hair louder than most other pistols of its size with factory ammo but the noise level really ramps up with handloads. I dont have a dB meter but my blue dot loads will rattle car windows in the range parking lot, and throw a fireball around 3 feet long out the muzzle.

SW