Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread

So I recently purchased a 2022 Hyundai Tucson and lost the place I used to keep my G17 in my last vehicle. In my searches online I found this company Desert Does It that makes lots of Molle panel type stuff for many popular trucks but unfortunately they did not make anything for mine. I reached out to them with my seat bolt spacing and they measured their existing setups and come to find out the Toyota Tundra panel is the exact same spacing and had some play with an oblong bolt hole. Worked perfectly and looks like it was made for my vehicle.

Panel is powder coated metal as are the seat brackets and it comes with longer seat bolts and the front bolts to the bracket as well as the all important sticker!!

So far it is working out perfectly but I am having issues releasing my holster when it’s time to get out due to the type of clips I have on it so I’m working on that. They also sell fire extinguisher bracket mounts and other items for just about all trucks so give them a checkout.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Bumper

Fluid Grey Wood Liquid Rectangle

Liquid Water Fluid Style Black-and-white

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
Does it work with any OWB holster or are there specific plastic holsters theat must be used? I know it'll need a clip, not a belt slide, but I'm thinking using a spare holster then just swap the pistol from on body to seat when you get into the car. I have the exact same car, btw, so I'm quite interested.

Reactions: Rerun and mattman17

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it work with any OWB holster or are there specific plastic holsters theat must be used? I know it'll need a clip, not a belt slide, but I'm thinking using a spare holster then just swap the pistol from on body to seat when you get into the car. I have the exact same car, btw, so I'm quite interested.
My holster is IWB Bravo Concealment and I have an OWB one at home from them too I can try when I get home Sunday for you but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as your holster has some kind of clip. I can get better close up pics of how the holster clips into it for you tomorrow and the ones of the OWB holster Monday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here’s the link for the one that works from the Toyota Tundra, make sure you order with brackets and it comes with everything you need.

I have already emailed them about it and that it fit so they should be updating their site to show it for the 2022 Tucson soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How you liking the Tucson so far? Took it from SW FL to GA towing a trailer w/2 kayaks and a roof top box with 120lbs of gear and still got 29.2MPG.
Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Car

Just added the roof platform also so we have more roof for gear on top and dogs in the back.
Plant Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Infrastructure

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
So far we're really liking it. Thing has more bells and whistles than the space shuttle! Very smooth - my better half really likes the built in GPS. With colder weather on the way, I'm going to love the heated seats and steering wheel. Couple feature I'm not crazy about are the automatic windshield wipers and the auto stop/start at every stop light. Should be a way to disable both for good, but nothing is perfect. Mine looks more like this
Vehicle Wheel Cloud Car Sky
I had a Kona and liked it, but this one has more room for old people

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far we're really liking it. Thing has more bells and whistles than the space shuttle! Very smooth - my better half really likes the built in GPS. With colder weather on the way, I'm going to love the heated seats and steering wheel. Couple feature I'm not crazy about are the automatic windshield wipers and the auto stop/start at every stop light. Should be a way to disable both for good, but nothing is perfect. Mine looks more like this
View attachment 73834 I had a Kona and liked it, but this one has more room for old people
You must have a hybrid, I only have an SEL so fewer B&W but also fewer things to drive me crazy lol. I do still have the auto stop and I’m researching a way to shut it off from programming but nothing yet. HATE IT!

I got it for more space for the 90lb husky and for when we take kayak trips. The hatchback wasn’t cutting it anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
You must have a hybrid, I only have an SEL so fewer B&W but also fewer things to drive me crazy lol. I do still have the auto stop and I’m researching a way to shut it off from programming but nothing yet. HATE IT!

I got it for more space for the 90lb husky and for when we take kayak trips. The hatchback wasn’t cutting it anymore.
No hybrid here. There's one between the SEL and the hybrid - that's what we got so TLOML would have a built in gps

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here are some more pics on how the G17 fits on the panel in the Bravo Concealment holster. I am using the IWB holster for pics but I had to add a clip to the rear of it for the panel so it acts as an OWB would.

Here you can see the G17 is too long to use my standard IWB front mounted clip to the Molle since it is too tall.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Here are the original pics I posted just noting that my IWB holster has an OWB clip on the rear to attach it to the Molle panel.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread

If I clip between the Molle webbing the holster clip in and is very easy to release as I just grab the bottom of the clip and release it by pushing backwards. But, when I move over to the next slot and the holster clip inserts into the Molle webbing it recesses into the notch making it tougher to release since you cannot just grab the bottom of the clip now. I plan on wrapping a black hair-tie from my GF around the clip since I won’t feel it in the waist and I can flick it with my finger to release the clip if it ends up in the webbing and tough to release.

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Grey

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Still debating if just leaving a holster there is worth it and just removing the firearm between drives instead of the whole setup, but I’d rather not have anything in my waist while driving.

·
Premium Member
21,447 Posts
@mattman17 rules for carrying like that vary from state to state. If you have a carry permit in Florida (IIRC) you are okay. If you don't, it might not be okay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@mattman17 rules for carrying like that vary from state to state. If you have a carry permit in Florida (IIRC) you are okay. If you don't, it might not be okay.
I have a CCP in FL and from speaking to a few officer friends I was confirmed I am good to go. That said I read a few online items that stated even with a CCP firearm had to be on your person concealed or in a glove box which conflicts everything I’ve heard/read/been told in the past and currently.

In my classes and interactions with officers if you had CCP firearm can be any place you want in the vehicle; between the seats, under seat, on the console, mounted under dash with a magnet etc. Without a CCP it had to be encased in a holster with retention and in a lock box or glove box but can still be loaded.

What I read recently was even with a CCP was it had to be on your person or in glove box or not visible at all which makes no sense since your vehicle is your castle in FL and I sure don’t have to carry concealed in my own home. So I’m still researching on this but using it as needed till then.

Thanks for looking out though!

·
Premium Member
21,447 Posts
It doesn't have to be locked in a box. A zip lock bag is fine. Coming from Trooper Dave my brother. I would disclose I was armed carrying like that with the preface of "for your safety and mine....." I carried in my car for years in Florida. Snapped in a holster in a bag. No permit. Used to be 3 or 4 movements. All hinging on officer's discretion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesn't have to be locked in a box. A zip lock bag is fine. Coming from Trooper Dave my brother. I would disclose I was armed carrying like that with the preface of "for your safety and mine....." I carried in my car for years in Florida. Snapped in a holster in a bag. No permit. Used to be 3 or 4 movements. All hinging on officer's discretion.
You’re correct, I used lock box but meant a closed container not necessarily locked just something closed.

And I also disclose I have a firearm if I interact with an officer even though it is not required in FL unless the officer asks. I’d rather them know upfront than after I’ve been talking for 10 minutes to find out I have a loaded pistol in reach. Usually hand them my CCP at same time as my DL and reg and let them decide if they want to remove it for the interaction or not and they usually appreciate the heads up and don’t even bother asking to see it or remove from vehicle during the stop. Also tend to get a little more leniency when I present my CCP for the most part.

·
Premium Member
21,447 Posts
Bro had a guy that crashed into the wall on 7 mile bridge one morning. The guy was incoherent, an confused. He saw a pistol under a Burger King bag on the passenger seat. Told the guy to come out. The guy refused. The guy went for the gun. He went into the car and yanked him out. Said the guy was like a limp noodle. EMS came said there was something wrong with the guy. Took him to the hospital. After finishing his report and having the car towed he went to the hospital. The guy was coming out the front door. Turned out he had a seizure. Hadn't had one for 8 years. He gave the guy his gun told him he had tried to shoot him. Handed him the empty mag, bullets, and pistol. Told him to pocket it separately.

Bro has backed up Monroe County deputies before that would unload mags and tossed the rounds on the back seat. He told them that might bite them on the ass with the wrong person.

Reactions: Rerun

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,070 Posts

You guys and the automatic engine stop, interesting...
My son's new Subaru has that, but every time I drive it I have a hard time telling if it's doing it or not but we always prolly had music playing, however it's pretty unobtrusive on the RU

1 - 15 of 15 Posts