Desert Eagle, tell me about them

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bobotech, Jan 29, 2008.

1. I am thinking for my next gun that I would like to get a Desert Eagle.

Not because they are useful or a good conceal gun but mainly just because they look FUN!

However the 50ae/44mag versions are quite expensive (900+ used, 1200+ new) whereas I have seen the 357 mag versions for 750.

What do you guys think?

I already load for 357. Would it be a fun gun to have in 357?

Or should I just save up for the bigger one.

2. Bigger! Bigger is better.

At least, in my opinion. If I were ever going to get a Desert Eagle, I'd go for the .50 AE. I mean, I can get many other guns that shoot .357 or .44 magnum, but not many that shoot .50 AE.

Or, go for the gold and get the kit that comes with the parts for all three calibers. (They're only like... $3200, I think.)

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

kinda high maintenance with the gas sytem and finicky about ammo but a hoot to shoot. If you want one, buy it and have fun.

SW

4. Big, powerful handguns are wonderful fun! You may decide you don't need it after a time and put it away or sell it, but you'll never regret having owned and played with it!

5. Troller98

Troller98 Member

One of my friends has one in 44mag. A useless gun, you need HUGE hands to grip it, its expensive to shoot, finicky about its ammo.....

Oh yea and a total BLAST to shoot, no other handgun (except maybe the new SW 500 mag) has that wow factor at the range. If you already have a gun in 357 and their cheaper, go with the 357.

6. hpman

hpman Guest

What about a Thompson Center Contender or Encore? Cheaper, interchangeable barrels, and lots of calibers to choose from. Just an idea.

7. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

it's a BBQ gun..

the gun is sexy, powerful, and expesnive.
    it does have a impressive design, if i had one it would just sit in a safe.

they make good hunting hand guns though from what i understand, you can get extended barrels and slap ascope on it.

i dont hunt though, but if you want one of the meanest handguns on the planet.. not counting those nitro revovlers.. this is the goto gun.

8. Just to let you all know, I am in possession of a Desert Eagle now.

Its only the 357mag version however its a Desert Eagle.

I asked my kid, what do you want me to get? A Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull or a Desert Eagle in 357mag.

He immediately said the Desert Eagle.

I got a great deal on it, traded in a gun that I didn't use much at all and was out the door in cash for 300 for the gun. The overall cost of the gun was 550.

It looks practically new in box. It is the original Mark I and has all the original paperwork and everything. The box and stryofoam are in perfect condition too.

9. Your kid play counter-strike? lol

10. LOL... Nope, he does play world of warcraft and Call of Duty. He and I have been buying guns for the last couple of years now. He is almost 21.

11. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

DE is one of those hollywood guns.. that is to say it gets a lot of face time.
    ask just about anyone who watches a lot of movies/tv or plays video games and they wont know wtf a taurus is but they will definately know what a DE is.

550 is actually a decent price.. new ones go for 900 for a bone stock and work there way up to about 1500 from what i've seen.

12. Well the 357mag models are cheaper than the big boys. I figure I can enjoy it for a while and if I really want to get the big one, I can then sell mine for about the same amount and upgrade to the big one.

13. FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN expensive FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN

14. Whatever happened to the .44 automag from years back? I never hear of them anymore.

15. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

44 automag never took off. kinda like the 41AE. they just never had enough of a following to make it.

SW

16. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

Ok, what ammo doesn't it like then?

17. Ari

Ari Guest

I have always thought about the DE in 357. I remember reading the reviews when they first came out. I have always had a soft spot for the .357 and that is what I would get in a DE. I would think that gun would handle a 200 gr .357 round no problem.

18. Well I went to the range with it and it didn't want to cycle any rounds with normal loads using Unique powder.

I then bought some hot H110 powder and loaded up some pretty hot loads (according to my Speer book, .5 grain shy of max, the grain amount is in the mid teens).

It should be pushing the bullet at around 1200-1300 fps.

THAT load did cycle the gun just fine and dandy.

Desert Eagles don't cycle well with light loads.

19. Strangerous

Strangerous Member