Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw some info on this unique gun. I couldn't find anything on here about it. Has anyone shot one?

They are single/double action, but look like a SAA.
Grey Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
I just saw some info on this unique gun. I couldn't find anything on here about it. Has anyone shot one?

They are single/double action, but look like a SAA. View attachment 74138
According to Diamonback website, the revolver debuts 22 November 2021 for $320 MSRP, with two 9-shot cylinders - .22 LR and .22 WMR with a 4 1/2" barrel 6 grooves, 1:16 RH.

Looks sweet.

eldar

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Looks bulky to me. They could of slimmed it up by ditching the swing out cylinder and using a loading gate. It’s modeled after a cowboy anyways.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I am talking about looks, not actual weight. Talking about the crane area specifically. Here is an example. Ruger Wrangler vs Diamondback Sidekick.
Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel Auto part

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Automotive exterior Gun barrel

If I am going to have all that bulk there, I would rather it be a top break.

I wish somebody would resurrect the H&R 999 Sportsman.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
A reincarnated H&R 999 Sportsman would be awesome. They have a loyal following and prices are way up on them, even those which have been used, abused, and put away wet.

·
Registered
Hi-Point 995
8 Posts
I have watched a review of the revolver and it is now on my short list. The swing out cylinder is going to be quick to reload and every easy to change from 22lr to 22WMR.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Finally watched some reviews on this revolver. Short version is I am still not impressed.

It’s a wanna-be cowboy gun. It has the look…sort of, but it’s just off. I thought of some comparisons. My first revolver was a H&R 649 22 Long Rifle 22 Magnum convertible. Like the Diamondback Sidekick it was a double action revolver, but it retained the loading gate and the cylinder exchanged via the center pin. The Colt 1877 came to mind as well, again it is a DA revolver, but retained the loading gate.

There are a couple of things I do like about the Diamondback Sidekick. First is the price, second is the way the cylinder is machined to prevent damage when dry firing. One thing that is a deal breaker to me is the requirement for a separate tool to change cylinders. I draw the line if I need anything more than a fired case to take down ANY firearm in the field.

Another comparison. I do like the NAA Mini Revolvers. One I do not like is the Sidewinder. The swing out cylinder is just out of place on the little revolver. I do however like their top break model, the Ranger.

NAA Ranger

NAA Sidekick

One place that I do see that the Diamondback Sidekick would fit in is as a companion piece to the Mossberg 464 SPX. They are both abominations to the historical firearms they are replicating.

Mossberg 464 SPX

Reactions: ichthyo and histed

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Well, that’s embarrassing. What happened to my pictures?

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I get what you're saying. If John or Clint wouldn't use it, I'm not sold on it. And the 464 SPX - who ever thought THAT was a good idea!??

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I just think it looks like a S&W Model 10 and a Colt 1873 had a one night stand, the Diamondback Sidekick was the undesired result.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Spanish Alamo Ranger was a double action 1873 SAA wanna be. The Sidekick took it to the next level with the swing out cylinder. I understand some traditionalist just can't go there, but I kind of like it. They are both cowboy gun inspired.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
I just think it looks like a S&W Model 10 and a Colt 1873 had a one night stand, the Diamondback Sidekick was the undesired result.
Are you inferring that someone forgot to put their pistols in a gun sock?

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts