Did my Re-Blue at last.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by hipoint.nut, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

Well I did it: against everyone’s advice and my best judgment, I cold blued my 28 year old shotgun. The barrel had a large spot of rust and a line of rust about 10 inches long under the stock, so something needed to be done. I spent about 3 hours polishing the metal to a mirror finish then used Birchwood Casey Super Blue to color it. You know what? Surprisingly it came out good, not great but good. The finish is not quite as dark as the factory blue on my Ruger, but I was able to get a nice even coat without streaking the finish. I think I’ll re-blue the barrel on my Hi-Point now.

2. Is that the cold blue stuff from walmart in the blue bottle? have thought about it a few times.

3. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

No, it is the one from Big5 in the blue bottle :wink: . But make sure you buy Super Blue not Perma Blue. The Perma Blue doesn't come out dark enough. Also for any Re-Blue cold or hot be sure to polish the metal to a crome like shine first.

4. Ari

Ari Guest

ok where are the photos? :wink:

5. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Perma-Blue sucks, stay away from it!

6. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

This is my shot gun, and C9 barrels:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ohh god....more feet.....I'm leaving now

jk :lol:

Looks like it turned out pretty good. I NEED to restore my old remington 550-1