Didn't quite go the way I planned....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dagwood, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I picked up my "new to me" High Standard Dura-matic M101.22lr pistol this afternoon.
    I couldn't wait to get to the range and try her out!

I took 3 different brands of ammo, about 700 rds, and headed out all excited.

first up, I loaded 10 rds of federal match bulk. I racked the slide and she fired like a champ.
    Pulled the trigger again and "click", ftf. I didn't have the magazine all the way in. It happens.

The next 9 rds shot flawlessly!

I released the mag to load another 10 rds, racked the slide with the mag out and the action locked up.

The red dot loaded chamber indicator is stuck inside the slide. There's an open hole where it use to be and I can see it in there. I actually thought it fell out, but it fell in, I think.

Anyway, the gunsmith on duty at the range looked at it and said I should take it back to the lgs and have their guys look at it.

Disappointing for sure, but I still love it! I hope they can fix it.

P.S. I did find out it was mfg between 1964 and 1965.

P.S.S. I did get to shoot a Neos and a CX4 storm while I was there. That was a score

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Been there...
    Bought a Mosin Nagant Sporter for $175 and was so excited I didn't notice the extractor missing.
    So I went old school with a cleaning rod for 20 rounds then went home and found out I left my cleaning case at the range.
    Ordered the first one I came across on eBay and found out shipping was 2-3 weeks as it had to come out of Finland.
    Duh.....

3. Dagwood

I just saw an exploded view of the M101. It appears that it is the striker that is stuck inside the trigger housing. I have no idea how this happened. At least there is a 3 day trial period on all used firearms at this lgs. I really hope they can fix it.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So do I! That's a cool gun!

5. I hope it can be repaired also, that was a fine low cost pistol in the time it was built. Similar in appearance to Ruger if I remember correctly. If that's the one it is fun to shoot.

6. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

My Hd military can be kind of finicky when it comes to ammo and magazines but otherwise one of the best .22 plinkers I've ever shot.

Besides of course the Neos in 6", it's not a swiss watch like my high standard, but accuracy wise it's about best I've shot including buckmarks and mkIII's.

EDIT: High standard is still in operation, although they are owned by a texas company now, from what I've been reading on the HS forums they are just about back to the quality and fit they were known for when our guns were built, and still build the top shelf guns per order, replacement parts for the older stuff is still being made as well.

Not sure if it's happened again but High Standard was the only American made pistol to win the olympics.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It definitely wouldn't be out of place in my Space Gun collection. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Dagwood

Here she is in all her glory, ha ha
    You can clearly see the big hole there where the striker/indicator should be. It is visible down inside that hole.
    I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens today when I take it back the my lgs.

Attached Files:

9. Dagwood

*****UPDATE*****

So, I took her back to my lgs today. The gunsmith Lloyd looked at it and told me the sear had sheared clean off. He said it was a fluke that it fired at all.

They had two other Dura-matic's there, so they just swapped her out. But, neither had the 6.5" barrel so Lloyd tried to swap barrel's but the first one was from the mid fifties (not between 64 and 65 like I thought) and the new one was mfg between 67 and 68 (my age), so the barrel's weren't exactly the same. Lucky for me, Lloyd had another 6.5" barrel in the back and he let me have that one.

Long story short, the new one is in much better condition overall, and I took her to the range tonight and shot about 500 rds without a hitch!

Love it!! And I came out way ahead!

Attached Files:

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sweet!

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Pretty cool they swapped it out.
    I know a couple of places where they would just shrug and tell you 'sold as is'

12. Dagwood

This lgs has been in business for a long time and they inspect and test fire all of the used guns before they put em out on the floor for sale. Their policy is 3 days on all used firearms, no questions asked.

I'm just lucky they had a couple in stock. The dura matic hasn't been mfg since 1970.

13. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Glad they got it sorted out, never had the chance to fire one of those, but then again I've never seen any other high standard in person other than my own lol.

Looks like its a decent shooter as well, what was the yardage on those targets? And does the super matic have the micro adjustable rear sights like the hd?

I've been kind of lusting over the supermatics lately.

14. Dagwood

The dura-matic doesn't have the micro adjustable rear sight. It was the lower end of the high standard .22 pistol line. It is a great shooter though.
    The range on the targets varied from 5yds to 25yds. Some were standing and so excited were sitting resting my elbow. Some were lefthanded and some were right handed. I was just trying to get a feel for it. I'm not the greatest shot, but I really like this pistol!

15. Dagwood

The super-matic does have the micro adjustable rear sight. They had one there for sale, they were asking $695.00 I think. It was really cool.

16. Kiln

Kiln Member

Hi standard made some awesome guns back in the day. My grandad has the HB model and I swear it is as the only .22lr pistol besides my MK3 that will digest ANY ammo we put through it.

17. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Ok no it doesn't but if you can find the parts it'll fit, they all use the same rear dovetail, mine has a sight block with a dial type stamp on it and a blade that rolls up and down for elevation "have to remove the whole sight block to adjust it" then you adjust windage by loosening the set screw under the slide.

Those are going for a good bit most places I've looked, about $80 for all of the pieces, pita to adjust but they do work well.

I'm in the process of restoring mine with a new polish and blue job, but when I'm done I plan on doing some sort of contrast on the notches of the front blade so I can easily spot which notch I shoot with, hard to tell when its all blued.