Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking around the internet at Hi Point JHP parts kits and was inspecting the components included. For the slides it seems as though there is one iteration where the ?rail? above the firing pin channel is continual, while the other has an interrupted... section?

Any idea as to why? I assume one is a newer/improved design over the other.

Premium Member
With HP, anything is possible.

Reactions: histed

Premium Member
Parts are free.

Registered
This almost looks like there isn't enough material in the original casting to ensure a continuous shelf there when that slot is milled. Without holding the parts in hand, this looks like an artifact of manufacturing and not an intentional design difference. The only advantage I could see would be to not have a more or less blind hole for the firing pin to shove powder residue and crud into. Eventually it might pack enough in the effect the firing pin protrusion. I have seen this in used SNS pistols I've bought, where the firing pin channel has packed in crud at the bottom of the channel and I've had to clean it out with CLP soaked QTips... but it's not difficult to clean, lots of higher end firearms have similar blind firing pin channels, and I don't see this kind of detailed consideration being put into a firearm that isn't designed to be readily stripped for cleaning by the user.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did see mention of it being referred to as a rail insert here, where (at least on the carbines) it says there used to be shorter rail sections prior to 2011. Having assembled and handled a JHP now, I can definitely see by the seams and coloration where it interfaces into the bolt face as a separate piece that is seemingly ?pressed? in. So I suppose there are probably different iterations for the rails on the pistols.
att2 - Copy.jpg
att2 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Interesting stuff, though I reckon it doesn't really matter with the lifetime warranty on parts and whatnot.

Registered
Seems like the thing to do is melt a bad slide and take that piece out to see what it actually looks like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts