Different brand magazine for C9?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by xela, Nov 26, 2014.

1. xela

xela Member

Hi everyone. I'll keep this short. I'm having magazine issues and can't afford to keep buying mags to tinker with. (if they worked right when they were new I wouldn't have to tinker with them) can anyone recommend a magazine from a different gun that would work in a C9? I was thinking about trying a 1911 9mm magazine. let's hear your thoughts, opinions, ect.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Can't help ya there, but are ALL of your mags doing the same thing?
    What exactly is happening? If it is across the board, it could be the feed ramp needs polished...

3. rickm

rickm Member

Hmmm i have bought roughly 15 9mm 5 40 and 5 45 factory mags and have never had a issue with any of them quess i have just been lucky.

4. xela

xela Member

I should note that I haven't fired the gun yet. I discovered the issue when loading it and manually cycling snap caps. I've had this problem with 3 different 8 round magazines. (I own 4 but one has a weak spring so it's no longer in use) The lips scrape the $&*t out of the cartridge when I load a round. Bent lips and a few rubs with a metal finger nail file and viola; no more scraped cartridges. When I load it to full capacity and rack the slide it stays back because the round "nosedives." This happens every time with 8 rounds, every other time with 7 rounds, and no problem at all with 6 rounds. I keep it loaded with 6+1, but I want those extra 2 rounds dammit. I'll be polishing the ramp soon and I'll let you guys know if there's a difference. In the meantime, rickm, wanna sell me a couple of yours? :)

5. xela

xela Member

Got the ramp done and it works fine now. The round still nosedives causing the slide to stay back, but now I can just push the slide forward and it chambers fine. I still wanna try different magazines though.

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    Try this on the ones you have, also.
    You need dial calipers and needle nose pliers...

Attached Files:

7. xela

xela Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've bent the lips on all my mags, just gotta get my hands on a caliper and measure it. I've also heard that bending the follower at an upward angle works. If I can get some extra mags I'll try that too.

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    I re-read your posts above, and "manually cycling" means what, exactly? I suggest to simulate (as closely as possible) using the "slingshot" racking method, meaning a quick pull back on the slide, letting the force of the slide stop pull the slide from your light grasp, and then the slide "sling-shots" forward, stripping a round from the magazine at full speed. If you need help visualizing this, youtube has vids of it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxYOjap86E[/ame]

Best one I could find quickly!

9. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

If you push the slide back, not using the force of the recoil spring alone, you are "ham fisting"

10. xela

xela Member

@ undeRGRound; Manually cycling means I load the gun and rack the slide repeatedly so it ejects the round in the chamber and loads a fresh one. I do this until the gun is empty. And thanks for the vid but that is how I rack it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  11. undeRGRound

INDY
    OK, just checking!
    Seems it is a mag-lip problem then.
    Or the snap caps are not acting perfectly like real ammo, but most likely lips.

12. MistrBackgammon

MistrBackgammon Member

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with four magazines without ever firing the gun. These guns are extremely reliable when used for shooting but maybe not as good with snap cap simulations. Perhaps you were meant to be a revolver person.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Biggest problem. He's not firing it. Hand cycling a blowback pistol is not an accurate test. Period.

14. rickm

rickm Member

XELA sorry but im still shy of what i like to keep onhand on mags so no sale what i have.

15. undeRGRound

INDY

I was dancing around that thought. ;)
    You said it better than I could have, Rich...

16. xela

xela Member

You're right I love revolvers, but they're out of my price range. I had to get what I could afford. And it was the snap caps. I loaded/cycled live ammo and only had issues the first few times I cycled it. Now it works fine with all magazines. I'd wager that the polished feed ramp and the fact that it's broken in now helped. I'll be going to the range in february. and I know someone's wondering, so the live ammo was federal champion fmj 115 grain.

17. xela

xela Member

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Attached Files:

18. cicpup

Vermont
    Well you can start by making sure your rounds are seated properly before inserting the mag.

19. xela

xela Member

^ I do make sure they're seated properly. A friend suggested using a follower and spring from a 9mm 1911 in the body of the hi point mag. 1911 is his answer for everything, but this sounds like a good idea. Probably gonna try it at some point, but for now it's back to 6+1. :(

20. cicpup

Vermont
    If you say so.

[​IMG]

Let us know how it goes. Please. Meanwhile, in the Halls of Justice, Are you keeping your mags fully loaded to help break them in?