Diopter sight needed

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by thundercroozer, Aug 25, 2015.

1. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

looking for a Diopter sight,, with dovetail base,, to put on my granddaughter's JROTC air rifle that she uses to practice at home with.

If someone has an old Daisy Avanti,, or a Crossman Precision,, and don't use the diopter sight and would be willing o part with it,, would be great

Attached Files:

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very cool!

Dovetail, as in 3/8 inch .22 type rail, right? If I had a spare, I'd toss it in the pot.

Here are a few, not too much money.

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/Open_target_sights/69

3. thundercroozer

Thanks ajole,, the thought is appreciated.. The dovetail mount is what is most common on .22 cal. rifles,, or used to be..

Pyramid air likes my credit card:) bought her a Crosman Challenger second hand,, for match competition,,they gave me the best deal on a complete refurb on it. got the diopter sight and new globe there for it,, beginning of last year,, and sent it there for a refurb on the gas seals at the end of school this summer..
    Now if you would really like to kick into the pot,, she would really like to have an AirForce Edge :):D:rofl:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  4. talon

talon the banned wagon

So, is a diopter just a fancy "peep" sight? I've never used one, what benefit does it have over a standard ghost ring style rear sight?
    My guess is macro-adjustability?

5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

A true diopter actually makes the eye work better. It takes over the eye, so to speak, and increases your vision ability. For example. I wear blended tri-focals. When I shoot my CG63 Swedish target rifles with say a Soderin Brand diopter rear sight, I gotta get rid of the glasses.
    The diopter effect of the sight makes my eye adjust to where it needs to be for long range shooting. Better than any 20-20 vision. A bit difficult to explain until one uses a diopter sight.
    They usually are range adjustable by increments such as what is called a tactical sniper scope. But, it is not a scope. Rifle diopters have various apertures sizes you can put in them. Some are adjustable.
    Front sights are usually an Anshutz type that work with the diopter. Used on bolt rifles for competitive target shooting of usually 200 to 1000 meters.
    These diopters are used worldwide for the serious competition shoots. Olympics also.
    If I do my part with my CG63 rifles, I can fairly often shoot 1 MOA or a bit more at out to 350 meters with my diopters on my 6.5X55mm caliber rifles. Young guys with good eyes can do amazing shooting to 600 meters easy. But, at 70, I have eye problems a diopter cannot correct for at the longer ranges. They just flat make the eye work better.

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

7. thundercroozer

Basically it is everything that you said,, the biggest benefit over a standard peep,, is it centers the eye,, most use a compressable cushion to block out additional light.. The big disc in the pic below is about 1"dia,, and that stays the same size,, but is removable,, and can be replaced with a another with a larger or smaller appature from .5mm to 3mm,, which coinsides with the style sight post,, in the globe that you are using,, and the target size you are shooting

Attached Files:

8. thundercroozer

Thanks OO I'm not sure what I posted made ay sense.

9. OldOutlaw

This is a CG63 Target rifle I use for some competitions locally. You can see the diopter on the rear.

Attached Files:

10. thundercroozer

this would be a standard 10 meter,,, 3 position target,,, paper size 12.5 x13.5

10 shots in 10 minutes,, 2 center targets = accuracy testing,, none scoring
    1 shot per target
    10 standing
    10 kneeling
    10 prone

Attached Files:

11. OldOutlaw

I doubt it did. Few people even know what is used in real competitions. Heck, the worlds Military compete against each other with rifles similar to the air gun you showed. Most all used nowadays are by Sauer I think. Truly expensive rifles most folks can not afford to own.

You daughter is very obvious to me into the truly serious type of competition. Good on her!!!
    More need to get into this type of shooting. The US should be far better than it is now in world competition.

Guys at our range whom own similar or a rifle like mine can and do often out shoot the Sheriffs, and local PD Swat teams even though they have scoped rifles costing thousands of dollars. All the Swat teams use our range for practice and qualification here in this county.
    About 500,000 plus population county. And, same many places in the US. A true reason why in the real competitive shooting of hi power rifles they do not allow scopes. World class shooting uses diopter sight systems. For quite a number of reasons.

Give her my best and keep us up dated on her progress please.

12. OldOutlaw

Yep, that's the target JROTC uses for a beginner. Then comes a .22lr if she stays with it.
    In college, they eventually move up to the .308 target rifle in a some what similar configuration if they are good enough.

A friend of mine in Cali has a son in the Army. Last I knew he was on a shooting team at Ft. Hood. He was using one of the competition rifles in .308.

13. thundercroozer

When I went thru JROTC in school you were allowed to qualify,, with both .177 cal. air and 22lr. not so anymore :mad: They are lucky to be able to use .177 cal. air.
    Couple of schools around here with JROTC programs have had to suspend there marksmanship program,, due to parental whinning..
    She's not allowed to transport her match rifle back and forth to school to practice with it,,once its there it has to stay there locked up,, unless its a shooting day,, or a scheduled competition.. I sorta showed my butt at the school when I found this out,, and let it be known to the powers that be,, if anything happened to it,, while it was in their care someone would be replacing it,, and that someone wasn't going to be her grandmother or me..

That's why I put together something close to the Crosman Challenger she uses,, so she can practice here at home..

She is 16 been shooting since she was 7,, her freshman year (1st year JROTC) she shot expert,, 255 standing(just made the cutoff),, 278 kneeling,, 284 prone,, her instructor made her come 2 days later with another group,, and re-qualify,, thinking she just got lucky,, and shot basically the same except for the prone went to 296 :D

I really hate to admit it but she is a better shooter than I ever thought of being:(

Oh and don't tell but Santa Claus,, will be bringing her the AirForce Edge,, that's pictured,, only in red for Christmas..

14. thundercroozer

Of course living in the land of whinners,, while out in the backyard practicing,, keeping track of adjustments made,, scores,, etc never fails that that the local PD shows up,, usually here 3 - 4 times a month..
    First time it happened scared the crap out of everybody,,3 cars race up lights, sirens,, tore up my lawn,, my 6yr old granddaughter is Autistic and noise sensitive,, she screaming her head off,, dogs are going nuts,, wife cussing everybody in Chinese,, granddaughter is about to wet herself,, fun time..
    Some of the younger guys want to be a$$es,, but anymore,, most just ride by and wave,, or flash the lights or something,, a few will stop and talk,, and take a few shots,, till they find out trying to hit the center of that roughly 1 7/8" black dot at 10 meters isn't as easy as it looks..