dip lubing lead bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by rfd, Jul 9, 2015.

1. rfd

rfd Member

coming primarily from a rifle background, quite awhile back i settled on dip lubing the alloy bullets i cast. though i've used lubrisizers and pan lubing, dip lubing has always appealed best to me as actually being faster and easier, with a bit less fuss or mess. if bullet sizing is required, i do that first using a lee push up (i like sizing from the bullet base rather than its nose). then it's time for a lube dip to fill the grease grooves. i make my own lube and use it for both pistol and bpcr alike. i used to single dip, but now i dip lube six pistol or three rifle bullets at a time, using a stiff wire mesh 1/4" screen. there's no reason more could be simultaneously dipped, just will take a stiffer platform and wider lube tin.

in the first pic below is a pistol dip platform with six 225 grain .45acp bullets, the other is a rifle dip platform with its front edge turned up and it holds three 525 grain .45-70 bullets.

the cookie cut excess lube goes back into the lube pot, so there's minimal lube waste. since only a small tin is needed to hold the melted lube (always done double boiler style), the lube melts real fast for less wasted time. also, the lube sets up on the bullets in just a few minutes after dipped, and is ready to be cookie cut - pan lubing requires more than an hour's wait for the lube to harden.

i took some pics of the rifle bullet dip and cookie cutter process - the cutter is a fire formed case with its primer pocket drilled out to accept a dowel rod for pushing out the cookie cut bullet. slip the case over the dipped bullet and push down, shaving off the excess lube.

hope some of this might be of interest to some of you folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ranch Dog dose this one at a time with thinned down Lee Alox. What lube are you using?

3. rfd

rfd Member

i use the popular and most excellent "gatofeo" (ugly cat) lube for all lead bullets, from .45acp to .45-70. i make it by weight, 1 part dixie gun works mutton tallow, 1 part gulf candle wax, 1/2 part beeswax. increase the beeswax for warmer/hotter weather.

4. noylj

noylj Member

I would call that pan-lubing and you can do a lot more at one time. If you are just dipping the bullets in and out of molten lube, how does it fill the lube groove so well?
    I prefer to take a glass casserole dish, lay about 200-500 as-cast bullets on their sides, squirt a little LLA on them and shuffle/rotate the bullets around until they are all shiny/wet looking. That takes me about 30-60 seconds and works great for everything up to .44 Mag.

5. rfd

rfd Member

it's all good, do whatever works best for ya. i've done it all for grease groove bullet lubing, and i vastly prefer dip lubing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  6. noylj

noylj Member

Sorry, poor communication.
    Pan lubing is pan lubing. Tumble lubing is tumble lubing. Your dip lubing is like pan lubing, except you aren't allowing the lube to harden and then knocking out multiple bullets from the block of lube.
    Since I don't shoot black powder, and your original message, as far as I can tell, never referenced black powder, I would still say that for 99.9% of cast bullet users, tumble lubing is faster and works at least as well. I can only assume that coatings like LLA don't work for BP. Has any one tried powder coating bullets for BP?

7. rfd

rfd Member

8. noylj

noylj Member

It works great as part of the bulge buster system. It crimps fine, but if you need it for jacketed bullets, you need to work on your die set-up. If you use it with lead bullets, I have had my bullets get swaged down (loss of accuracy and leading).

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have on good authority that pork fat might be the way to go....mutton lives matter!

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

rfd - i have a good supply of anhydrous lanolin - will this work in place of the mutton tallow? I've been pan lubing for rifle boolits, but this does look interesting,

11. rfd

rfd Member

it sure could, give 'er a try. just check the consistency of the brew after it's hardened in order to determine if more beeswax is needed to stiffen up the lube.

12. rfd

rfd Member

don't follow you - are you talking about lubing jacketed bullets? and if so, WHY???

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

Bulge buster sounds like a .40 Glock reloader thing. Older .40 chambers were not fully supported.

14. rfd

rfd Member

after testing out the multiple bullet dipping, i've settled on dipping 6 pistol bullets at a time but have gone back to single dipping of the big bpcr bullets because it's just easier for me that way and instead of lubing a few hundred pistol bullets, i typically don't cast more than 100 rifle bullets at a time and only need to lube 50 at a time for the single shot rifles and quality is more important as these rifle bullets are used in bpcr match events (long range silhouette & paper). pistol bullets are different, in terms of quantity as i go through them purty fast at the range in the 1911.

my .45-70 bullet dip process uses a simple wire platform to move a bullet into and outta the lube ... notice how fast the lube solidifies as it's removed from the 160F lube batch - it's ready to be cookie cut and immediately used for loading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  15. rfd

rfd Member

i hear ya, tnt.

i don't see how noylj is talking about a lee bulge buster having anything to do with dip lubing.

tnt - you armed and dangerous with that new toy?

16. histed

histed Supporting Member

It won't any time real soon, but when I do this (this winter) I'll let you know how they work.

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

I ran out of time to hit the range. Ray was not happy with me seeing how pretty and shiny it was with all the bells and whistles. I don't know if he believed the price. My favorite shooting buddy is off this weekend. Not sure where we are shooting, but I am going to the range! Thanks again!