Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot's of you can relate... I'm totally nuts about keeping my guns cleaned and ready to go. After a range visit, hunting, carrying concealed for a week, etc. the gun gets a field strip, thorough Hoppes #9 treatment (ohh that sweet, sweet aroma), lube and silicon cloth polish. Also tend to detail strip each of my little buddies at least once a year. Besides taking care of one's life-saving gear, it's just enjoyable for me to do so....

...Except for the Hi-point C9. Of course for the first year of ownership, my C9 got the same love and attention as my other firearms. But since there's a lifelong NQA warranty, the thing was cheap to begin with, and the manual states to not do much in the way of maintenance, I decided to try a little neglect....so...

After sending in the troublesome 10rd mags for new 8rounders (which Hi-point was very cool about) late last year, I have made a point of it to not attempt any sort of maintenance, cleaning, lubing, etc. This was not easy for me. Not at all.

Well mister C9 seems to care less about this arrangement. Maybe it was the change to 8rd only mags, or extended breaking in, maybe not. All I know is that ever since being left dirty the pistol will fire any ammo. Not a single malfunction. Even Tula.... Flawless feeding, firing, ejection. Even accuracy has gone from pretty good to awesome. I can leave it in the glove box for a couple months, take it into the range and no problem.

So any other Hi-pointers out there experience something similar? My C9 seems to prefer to exist in a state of dirtiness and functions best that way!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I too have a difficult time keeping my guns unclean. Maybe, since they are considered ghetto guns, the dirty they are, the better they run. But, I just can't seem to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
i have just been cleaning the barrel witha brush and hoppes 9 then oiling it, and then using a q-tip to reach anything i can while the slide is locked back, same deal number 9 and then some hoppes gun oil. been this way since januaray, and no problems with it yet.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I don't knock out the slide pin and strip it totally down after every outing, but I do run a few patches through the barrel with some Rem Oil and Q-tips for the crevices, followed by the hoppes. I've been taught that cleaning your weapons is a part of shooting. That being said, my C9 runs flawlessly with any FMJ I've tried so far.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Lot's of you can relate... I'm totally nuts about keeping my guns cleaned and ready to go. After a range visit, hunting, carrying concealed for a week, etc. the gun gets a field strip, thorough Hoppes #9 treatment (ohh that sweet, sweet aroma), lube and silicon cloth polish. Also tend to detail strip each of my little buddies at least once a year. Besides taking care of one's life-saving gear, it's just enjoyable for me to do so....

...Except for the Hi-point C9. Of course for the first year of ownership, my C9 got the same love and attention as my other firearms. But since there's a lifelong NQA warranty, the thing was cheap to begin with, and the manual states to not do much in the way of maintenance, I decided to try a little neglect....so...

After sending in the troublesome 10rd mags for new 8rounders (which Hi-point was very cool about) late last year, I have made a point of it to not attempt any sort of maintenance, cleaning, lubing, etc. This was not easy for me. Not at all.

Well mister C9 seems to care less about this arrangement. Maybe it was the change to 8rd only mags, or extended breaking in, maybe not. All I know is that ever since being left dirty the pistol will fire any ammo. Not a single malfunction. Even Tula.... Flawless feeding, firing, ejection. Even accuracy has gone from pretty good to awesome. I can leave it in the glove box for a couple months, take it into the range and no problem.

So any other Hi-pointers out there experience something similar? My C9 seems to prefer to exist in a state of dirtiness and functions best that way!
Try cleaning it like you normally would, and see how it reacts to that. Might just be a well broke in and functioning gun, and have nothing to do with crud.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I have read in many blogs and reports on the c9 being able to run dirty. Thats one reason I purchased mine for a truck gun. I do not keep it dirty it stays clean in a Bulldog car vault. It's comforting kowing if/when SHTF or I am in a accident and stuck out in the boonies I will have a weapon ready to rock and roll, dirty or clean. I am also seeing reports Hi-Points made the top 15 best seller lists for 2012. Good job Hi-Point!

·
Premium Member
36,652 Posts
I experience something similar. I do a boresnake with oil on the tail end after range sessions, wipe a dry then oiled patch or two on a brush around the chamber area, and drop a little oil on the slidey bits. Haven't had any malfunctions in a while.

·
Premium Supporter
1,434 Posts
Mine does not care if it's clean or dirty. Squeeze the trigger it goes bang! Keep squeezing trigger till mag is empty, change mag an repeat all day long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.