Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a member of a local gun forum for my state, and all the snobs were always downing HP as ghetto junk. I read as much as I could and after reading some "professional" reviews and the no questions asked warranty I figured it couldn't be that bad for the price. Well after purchasing my JHP .45 new, I went to shoot and it jammed on the 12th cartridge. Since that day and after being told by a youngster at Haskell that I was probably limp wristing it (I held my tongue) I've had two other experienced shooters try it with 3 different brands and type of ammo including a new magazine from Mr. Hi-Point himself. This was extremely disappointing I have to say but to add insult to injury, now I have to pay the $11+ to send it back for repair. So now I will have a refurbished gun for the price of a new one + an extra $11 at least. If the gun were a year or more old and then quit functioning, that would be different. But this one is malfunctioning right out of the box, I shouldn't have to pay to ship it back and it should really be replaced rather than repaired. This was going to be my "truck gun" and marsh carry, but to be honest I'm not sure I'm willing to trust it anymore. I will probably be posting it Mon or Tue.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
HOLD THE SHIPPING!! ANY brand pistol needs to be broken in. Some say 200 rounds through the gun will do it. The experts say 400 or 500 rounds. With that said, there are a lot of things you can do. The first thing is to stop thinking you made a mistake with your purchase. These are great guns.

OK, the three biggest things beyond break-in is polish the ramp and adjust the magazines to proper specifications aqnd choose the right ammunition. Be sure to load the magazines full and leave them full for a couple of weeks to break in the springs etc.

So, there it is. Look around this site and look for these suggestions. There are a lot of people on this site that have "been there, done that". They can tell you the specifications for the magazine measurements for your model and what ammunition they have had the best luck with.

ENJOY your gun and stop listening to those other guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know that I'll rid it just yet, but if I do I would likely try to trade it for a 9mm. With all the developments on ammo now, I have no problem carrying one for PP so I do and may consider selling it to get a 9mm so that I can standardize my ammo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOLD THE SHIPPING!! ANY brand pistol needs to be broken in. Some say 200 rounds through the gun will do it. The experts say 400 or 500 rounds. With that said, there are a lot of things you can do. The first thing is to stop thinking you made a mistake with your purchase. These are great guns.

OK, the three biggest things beyond break-in is polish the ramp and adjust the magazines to proper specifications aqnd choose the right ammunition. Be sure to load the magazines full and leave them full for a couple of weeks to break in the springs etc.

So, there it is. Look around this site and look for these suggestions. There are a lot of people on this site that have "been there, done that". They can tell you the specifications for the magazine measurements for your model and what ammunition they have had the best luck with.

ENJOY your gun and stop listening to those other guys.
I really appreciate your help and advice, but This is not something that I feel could be rectified with a break in period. The nose of the bullet is getting lodged up at the top of the barrel and you have to remove the magazine to get it out. Besides that I've never had a Glock, Kel-Tec or any other brand that would randomly jam before it had 300 rounds through it. Also I am not willing to make adjustments and polishing in order to make it not jam when new. I'm not opposed to tweaks to make something work BETTER than it did, but IMHO it heeds to at least work basically first right out of the box.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm sure someone around here would be willing to take this sorry piece of crap off your hands.

Don't come to a forum setup for a specific brand of firearm, that we all enjoy immensely, and tell us that said brand is a piece of junk. To top it off, you refuse to heed our advice to make your firearm flawless. A gun is a machine made by man, and like all things made by man it will fail. We have listened to and put up with all the bashing thrown our way because we love these firearms. If I had the same attitude when I first bought my C9, I wouldn't have the wonderful, trustworthy, accurate firearm that I trust my life with everyday.

So again, I'm sure someone will take this piece of junk off your hands. If I had the funds available I would be more than happy to rid you of that foul chunk of metal and plastic.

G

·
My best advice is to adjust the magazine feed lips, load the magazine full and leave it full for about a week or two, and make sure you slap the back of the magazine HARD on something solid (or the palm of your hand).  What you're saying is that the bullet's nose is jumping up too high too quick, right?  My C9 will do that consistently if I do one of two things - if I let the nose stay up too far when loading the round in the magazine or if I leave any space behind the cartridge in the magazine - hence the SLAP!!! before considering the mag good to go :)

FYI - magazine feed lips can be slightly out of tune from any manufacturer and springs may need to be broken in a bit as well.  This isn't just a Hi-Point thing. 

Seriously, at least try this for us (me really :) ) - when you load each round into the magazine, make sure it's parallel with the feed lips and make sure the next round doesn't push it out of that alignment when you load it on top of the first one.  After that, hold onto the base of the magazine and give the back of the magazine (the end where the primers are :p ) a really good WHACK! or two on your hand or something solid to seat the rounds before you use it. 

One last suggestion to try - only load the mags half full for a few outings.  If all works well, the springs likely just need to be broken in and leaving the mag full for a while should cure the problem.

Best of luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
WindsorFox, rounds nosing up in the chamber is a typical FTF problem that many of us have experienced. My JCP had that issue at first, but it now fires flawlessly. I let the magazine sit fully loaded for a few weeks, which conditioned the spring, and this seemed to fix the problem. I think the issue is that the tension on the spring when it ships is too strong, which causes some rounds to drag against the feed-lips, which then causes them to rotate upward, thus lodging in the chamber. When the spring is properly conditioned, there is just enough tension to keep the rounds snug. Occasionally, some have had to alter the feed-lips somewhat in order to fix FTF problems, and I myself have sent one mag back to Mother because it was having issues. However, I received the replacement magazine in three days, and it worked flawlessly.

Another thing is polishing the feed ramp... I have not had to do this, since my pistols work very well without having done it, but some have found that this fixes a lot of FTF issues. Hollow-points sometimes do not like to chamber without this being done. but again, this depends on the gun, as well as the type of ammo used.

Trust me, there is nothing that you are experiencing that several of us have not already gone through... but all of us are still here, because once you get the kinks worked out, you will find no better gun for the money than your H-P

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure someone around here would be willing to take this sorry piece of crap off your hands.

Don't come to a forum setup for a specific brand of firearm, that we all enjoy immensely, and tell us that said brand is a piece of junk. To top it off, you refuse to heed our advice to make your firearm flawless. A gun is a machine made by man, and like all things made by man it will fail. We have listened to and put up with all the bashing thrown our way because we love these firearms. If I had the same attitude when I first bought my C9, I wouldn't have the wonderful, trustworthy, accurate firearm that I trust my life with everyday.

So again, I'm sure someone will take this piece of junk off your hands. If I had the funds available I would be more than happy to rid you of that foul chunk of metal and plastic.
First of all I never said any such thing, I suggest sir, that you brush up on your reading comprehension and try again without putting your words in my mouth.

Second, I thought I was pretty clear that I did not want to perform any tweaks or modifications because the gun is brand new. a) I should not have to make modifications to make a new item work and b) I do not want to do something to a new item that would possibly void the warranty. I have owned many hand guns and out of all only two have had problems and only one of those was new. You sir, my do what you wish; but when my life is on the line I do not want to have to worry if my fire arm is going to actually fire when I pull the trigger. Modifications are fine if that is what you like to do and you want to make something better, but I should not have to modify a new fire arm to get it to not randomly jam and that will be left to the factory to rectify. Further, I do not want to have to worry about whether I will be able to get just the right ammo or not. If this gun were for accuracy contests or some such activity that may be different, but it is not.

Again Gun Man, I thank you for your input and when I get a working model I will look into your advice and I'll not judge the whole forum membership based on the above post.

·
Banned
401 Posts
The first pistol they issued to me in the Military(26 years ago, retired 3 years.) had the same problems, that was back in 1981, the old timers showed me how to tune it up and make it work correctly, and I am glad they did, because it saved my butt more than once while in combat, there is NO gun that comes out of the factory, working perfectly, including rifles, unless you spend the bucks to have it custom made, custom fitted and custom tuned before it gets to you. For the price, you can afford to do a couple of tuning tricks on it, before you condemn it..

But if you still want to get rid of it, I will be more than happy to pay you what you paid for it, and take that "Piece of crap" off your hands!

·
Banned
401 Posts
Just to add, based on what I have heard, there is virtually nothing you can do to void the warranty on this weapon...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seriously, at least try this for us (me really :) ) - when you load each round into the magazine, make sure it's parallel with the feed lips and make sure the next round doesn't push it out of that alignment when you load it on top of the first one. After that, hold onto the base of the magazine and give the back of the magazine (the end where the primers are :p ) a really good WHACK! or two on your hand or something solid to seat the rounds before you use it.

One last suggestion to try - only load the mags half full for a few outings. If all works well, the springs likely just need to be broken in and leaving the mag full for a while should cure the problem.

Jeff
Okay, I'm off M&T for Mardi gras (yes, we get off for that where I am) so I will try this and see what happens before I mail it off. But if it has to do with how the cartridge is situated in the mag, it bothers me that riding around in the console of my truck *could* cause a FTF when I need it.

WindsorFox, rounds nosing up in the chamber is a typical FTF problem that many of us have experienced. My JCP had that issue at first, but it now fires flawlessly. I let the magazine sit fully loaded for a few weeks, which conditioned the spring, and this seemed to fix the problem. I think the issue is that the tension on the spring when it ships is too strong, which causes some rounds to drag against the feed-lips, which then causes them to rotate upward, thus lodging in the chamber. When the spring is properly conditioned, there is just enough tension to keep the rounds snug. Occasionally, some have had to alter the feed-lips somewhat in order to fix FTF problems, and I myself have sent one mag back to Mother because it was having issues. However, I received the replacement magazine in three days, and it worked flawlessly.
I'll pack both tonight and let them sit through Tuesday eve. and try it again before I mail it off.

BTW it's way too expensive to use as a hammer, so *if* I decide to get rid of it it will be locally so II don't have to worry with FFLs and I can get a 9mm in place of the 45.

·
Banned
401 Posts
If I need to shoot a new weapon, I will pack the mag and let it sit for about ten days, if I have to shoot it sooner, then I half load, but even with the Glock's and other pistols I have had, I had to break the mag in for a few days before I could get maximum performance out of them..

G

·
Seriously, at least try this for us (me really :) ) - when you load each round into the magazine, make sure it's parallel with the feed lips and make sure the next round doesn't push it out of that alignment when you load it on top of the first one. After that, hold onto the base of the magazine and give the back of the magazine (the end where the primers are :p ) a really good WHACK! or two on your hand or something solid to seat the rounds before you use it.

One last suggestion to try - only load the mags half full for a few outings. If all works well, the springs likely just need to be broken in and leaving the mag full for a while should cure the problem.

Jeff
Okay, I'm off M&T for Mardi gras (yes, we get off for that where I am) so I will try this and see what happens before I mail it off. But if it has to do with how the cartridge is situated in the mag, it bothers me that riding around in the console of my truck *could* cause a FTF when I need it.
Thanks for trying this out :)

I load up all my magazines with defensive ammo (Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P Short Barrel & Pow'R Ball 100gr +P) and use this method before the mags go in the gun. It then sits most of the time in its holster as home defense with 1 in the pipe, 10 in the mag, an 8 round mag in the spare mag holder on the holster, and another nearby. It's also traveled quite a bit this way without trouble and I don't have any problems with it at the range when I decide to rotate the carry ammo by blowing through it as if it were a bad guy where the paper is and it's 0300 with my life on the line. I really wouldn't worry too much about it to tell the truth, but that's me.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the mag springs needing to be conditioned a bit.

Best of luck and have a great time for both of us at Mardi Gras 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more I think about it, the more I think it's the mag springs needing to be conditioned a bit.

Best of luck and have a great time for both of us at Mardi Gras 8)
I can't argue because looking at what it was doing the thought crossed my mind that the mag spring was pushing too hard. BUTT the only thing that kind of contradicts that is the randomness of the jams. It has done it with three or less rounds left to go.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would read more on these boards on how to have a better experience with your JHP. I bought my JHP new and did the magazine break-in before I took it out shooting. After the first mag was done the rear sight 'dots' fell off. I emailed Hi-Point and asked for suggestions on how to 'paint' the rear sights and the consensus was use what want. I don't know if it was due to the reloads I was using, but I've never had a problem with my JHP after doing the suggestions posted in this forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This conversation amuses me. My JCP works perfectly (had one misfeed within the first 12 rounds and have had no further issue so far, about 300 rounds down the road) but had mine misfed multiple times I will readily admit I would have been bummed out. "Perhaps they were right, perhaps Hi-Point does suck." I would have thought. However after doing some research I've come to think of Hi-Point as the high end of the economy weapons scale. The reason is, the hi-point costs 1/3 (or less) the cost of say a Para or a Springfield but carries similar features and (most importantly for me) will perform flawlessly if treated correctly. Now, as you said, "Something I buy right out of the box should work correctly!" I agree! And the Hi-point does. It just might need a little love. Would you rather have paid someone $400 dollars to tweak a little bit of metal that sometimes gets untweaked a bit during manufacturing and gotten yourself a Springfield, or saved the $400 and tweaked the part yourself? What most members have said about the mag spring being too strong is correct, the break in period for every semi-automatic weapon suggests that you leave the mags loaded, etc for a while before expecting things to work flawlessly. It's because if they shipped you a broken in spring, the product wouldn't last as long.

Anyway, to all the hi-point fanatics, don't take offense. You've got your opinion and our buddy here is just feeling a little like a kid on christmas with no AA batteries. You'd feel the same way if you bought something you thought was "broken". However, to our new friend, your toy is fine, it just needs you to let it stretch it's legs a bit before it can get it's mind it the game! And in the game it shall get, I assure you. However, if you feel that a break in period is too much to ask, I suggest you go buy a Para or a Springfield or any other brand you choose and ignore the break in period in the manual for those fine firearms and assume that paying more is going to get you 100% flawless results. It may. Just like my JCP, you might well fire a whole magazine in an emergency right out of the box unfired as fast as you can pull the trigger. Or, you might get stabbed to death by a methfreak with the resounding "click" of your $700 unbroken-in-jammed-paperweight ringing in your ears while you fumble to eject a short recoil operated jam nightmare and bleed furiously in concerto.

Anyway, I'd like to point out to everyone that if there's anyone out there who wants the "High Roller" treatment for their firearm, I'd be happy to paint the poly frame sand colored for you and break the gun in before shipping it back to you for exactly the same price Springfield Arms charges for that service ($429.99, no checks, please) if needed. I could also take the task of posting inflammatory reviews and then responding to them like a child if that spots vacant. That way I could use the trolls trolling trolls principal to generate free power and stabilize the global economy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Also I am not willing to make adjustments and polishing in order to make it not jam when new."

Then, you miss the point of owning a Hi Point. The thing costs less than $200. It is not going to be perfect.

But, the basic design is sound. If you tweak, polish, and work them a little...even if you have to pay the $10 or so to ship it back for tuning, you can get a very serviceable firearm for a ridiculously low price, that you won't feel guilty about shoving in the glovebox or tacklebox or whereever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My brother just bought a Robinson M96 Expeditionary. Took it to the range for the first time a few weeks ago. He couldn't get that thing to feed two rounds simultaneously, but he didn't blame the gun. Why?

Because when it's an expensive gun, people are more willing to believe that they themselves are at fault, blame the ammo, blame the magazine, blame the weather conditions, etc.

When it's an inexpensive gun, people just blame the gun.

Turns out that the M96 needed...you guessed it...a break in period. Said so in the manual. And that gun cost nearly a thousand dollars. Hi Points are no different.

Get some ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.