Discrete Carbine Carry?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by lklawson, Nov 6, 2017.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Like Rach when I think of the possible ways a bad guy would do it I go back to what would I do. It gets dark really quick. Some would say it's over thinking it but it's not. It's right there open for business. Which makes me glad it's for the most part always a nut job want to be. Not a trained individual. It says a lot about the veterans mindset. You know the guys Obama's people wanted to label dangerous. What a twat.

Rachgier, 2012gt and lklawson like this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Nearly had to shank a couple of Mormons who were door knocking after dark in my neighborhood. Who door nocks after dark?

The pair of whiteshirts was pretty standard but the after dark part threw red flags all over the place. Then they went and door knocked my neighbor. Set their teeth on edge. A few weeks later the supposed Mornons went and door nocked my neighbor after dark again. They got a 12Ga. in their face for the intrusion.

After dark? That's just stupid. I've NEVER before had a Mormon team door knock after the sun went down.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. mej24

mej24 Member

Seems the biggest part of any emergency plan I have is how to get people to get out of the way for those who can actually help.
    Like it’s been said, I’m more likely to have to deal with an medical situation over an active shooter, but the chance is still there, and needs to be addressed.
    A church not a few miles from mine had a young man come in, go to the front row and sit for the entire service. Only toward the end did someone notice he had a pistol in his waist band, under his shirt. Fortunately he was able to be talked down and arrested.

4. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN

Arrested for having a firearm in a church?

We could have 50 arrests a week at our church for people carrying firearms....

Tom78 likes this.
  5. 2012gt

2012gt Member

Daylight savings threw em off. They'll be back on schedule next week.

rowiebowie likes this.
  6. 2012gt

2012gt Member

Like moona said it's a good thing most of these cowards are just wannabes. They may do a little pre planning but they don't think of everything and typically they decide to run or eat a bullet or both once their original plan is interrupted. I think that's where even a small pistol comes into play. These guys are expecting zero resistance and lead flying their direction or even the sight of an armed individual seems to make them tuck tail and run. There have been a few that stayed to fight but the majority don't.

rowiebowie likes this.
  7. mej24

mej24 Member

Seems the biggest part of any emergency plan I have is how to get people to get out of the way for those who can actually help.
    Like it’s been said, I’m more likely to have to deal with an medical situation over an active shooter, but the chance is still there, and needs to be addressed.
    A church not a few miles from mine had a young man come in, go to the front row and sit for the entire service. Only toward the end did someone notice he had a pistol in his waist band, under his shirt. Fortunately he was able to be talked down and arrested.

8. mej24

mej24 Member

He was drunk and being disruptive. Point being that he had sat through a good portion of the service before becoming disruptive and that’s when he drew attention to himself and someone noticed the firearm under his shirt.

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We just had a shooting at walmart where the bad guy got run off by a bunch of armed civilians.

These whack jobs all seem to choke and break contact at any sign of armed resistance.

Rerun, moona11 and lklawson like this.
  10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

And the Legacy Media STILL tried to use it to paint "the evil gun community" in a negative light. [bleating sound] "Ohh, ohh, ohh, the all the extra gun nuts there made it take longer for the police to find the bad guy!" :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

And the cops said they don't mind doing extra work like that when it prevents loss of life.

lklawson likes this.
  13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just because it's a different thing here...

The largest churches in Utah have all taken a stance against concealed carry, and state law gives them the right to not allow it on their property. None that I know of are using armed people at the doors on regular meetings, but I'm sure some do. There have been individual attacks at church parking lots, but not much else. There are; however, usually at least one person in my local congregation that is armed, as an on-call cop, or something of that nature. And in my rural area, I am certain there are many weapons in the parking lot in trucks.

I know the LDS church has a security force for their big bi-annual televised meetings and business offices, but that's not the usual Sunday worship services.

lklawson likes this.
  14. Twisty

Twisty Simple by choice Supporting Member

But a concealed rifle? You make the gun grabbers sound reasonable.

15. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Never said a rifle was necessary. Doing something to be prepared is necessary in my opinion.

In our "Facility Watch Team" 16 out of the 20 members carry when on "duty". The church staff person who does the recruiting carefully interviews each person cuz we do have some "Barney Fife" people who carry and would draw and possibly shoot inappropriately. One guy has been begging to get in the group for two years. He even has an AA degree in Law enforcement but failed the psych test to get employed in the field.

IMO, the only advantage of a pistol caliber rifle (the original reason for this thread) would be more accuracy. The extra 12-14" of barrel would give more energy but there are handguns that already test in the same "horsepower" range and would be much easier to carry concealed.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That was one, option, as was an AR pistol with sigbrace.

Longer sight radius and greater stability as well.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Rerun likes this.
  17. shubbell

shubbell Member

I find it a shame that it is even being discussed. However, it is a reality. Obviously it could never happen in my small town....
    So..what is the solution? Uniformed guards? Guys in black suits, sunglasses and ear pieces? Armed parishioners? Tough question. Valid points from everyone. I say just sleep in on Sunday and watch a sermon on TV.
    I am kidding. Sorta. Option #3 is probably the most feasible for most services. Communication and training is a must though. The down side to that is most people take their children and if they are not in the "day care" they are in the congregation. So I see a mass confusion mama/papa bear thing happening. The armed members thing might be a tough sell to certain variants as well.

rowiebowie likes this.
  18. Interesting thread. I am sure many churches are having this conversation now. My church has had a carry team for a while. I hear they finally got radios for the team. I guess I will see Sunday.

I have had the "what about a carbine" thoughts also, especially after the Texas shooting. I don't know what the answer is. Tx guy was able to just walk in unchallenged. But I think vigilance at the door, would have stopped the Tx guy. Just like it is hard to figure out how the good guys can conceal a carbine, the bad guy is not going to have much luck either.

My sheriff's office is starting a training class for church CC teams. I passed the info on to a couple guys. I sure we will discuss. I think some extra training is extremely important. Hopefully they will too.

Lastly, in my search for info on helping secure the church, I found this organization. I don't know any more about them then what i see on the site, but it seems like some good stuff.
    http://sheepdogchurchsecurity.net/index.html

19. diamondrattler

diamondrattler Member

you would need extreme cooperation nd I would not tell the majority of the church but they could be hidden under the pews in a special box. If the minister is good with it they could also keep one under the pulpit.

20. Heard this from somewhere.
    Not sure where exactly it was.
    "People come to church, to come to Jesus. Sometimes they need to meet Him one on one, and I help them along."

Tom78 and rowiebowie like this.