Display security ideas.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by duster066, May 9, 2015.

1. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I have three guns I want to look up from my lounger and see anytime I want. I want to hang them on the wall. But I don't want to have to lock them up every time I leave the house. How to secure them cheaply.

Not that it was on my bucket list, but I've some how learned to do sheet rock work. Bummer eh. But hey maybe it could come in handy for this task.

So here's the plan. Open the wall along a stud. Mount two, oh maybe 6 or 8 inch pieces of 1/4" plate on either side of the stud. Run a length of cable through the stud, through the new wall board, and then through the trigger guards. Some simple trim for the holes in the wall, and there you go. Not real secure, but it might deter a puke long enough for someone to come along and scare his ass off. I'd lock them up when leaving for long periods.

Any better ideas?

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Rig up a pepper spray dispenser to hose anyone down if they tamper with the display pieces, and have a stereo set up to blast loud music at the same time.

Blinded and deafness, the dirt bag will be forced to scramble around and run for his life, stumbling every step of the way.

3. duster066

Lol With my luck I'd screw up the trigger mechanics and hose myself.

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Wall inset with a glass panel in front so they are clearly visible. Put an alarm on the glass as you would a window.
    Basically an alarmed, inset shadow box.

5. duster066

Not a bad idea talon. Used half inch polycarbonate locked in a metal frame and that would be as secure as my locker. Not a bad idea at all.

Oh man I could put a light in there, all museum like. I like it. The gears are turning in the head.

6. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

As a trim and cabinetry carpenter I've been having similar Ideas.

Mine was to set 30"x60" box into one of my living room walls, screw off some 2x2 blocks on the side with some easy open/close drawer slides I could mount a large mirror or painting to so that I could slide it up and down vertically, maybe use a combo lock that was left over from a job installing some drawers in a jewelry store we did a while back.

Or I could do the utilitarian thing and mount some 3/4" black iron pipe flanges with one way screws to the wall with some 3" pipe stubs screwed into them, and drill the ones that will go through the trigger guards and thread a rod through them with a lock on one end and a washer welded to the other....of course they would need some tubing slipped over to prevent scratches and stuff.

7. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Not loud music, but loud dobermans and rotties sounding like they want to eat an intruder! :p :rofl:

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Take a picture, blow it up, frame it and hang it on your wall. Then lock your firearms in the safe. :)

9. duster066

That might be the smart thing to do, but it defeats the purpose of owning an antique. It's also giving in to a very unlikely threat of crime. Granted there is some of that in the idea of locking them to the wall, but there needs to be a reasonable limit to how much I let crime concerns dictate life.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Nice to see you two getting along :D ;)

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sounds good to me.

I also like the window that must be unlocked, could be sliding or hinged, or the sliding false front.

How about a nice roll top desk type of thing? Or the German aluminum roller shutters?

12. Django

Django Member

To expand on this idea. I've seen t.v.'s mounted in a wall with a mirror in front of it. I don't know what kind of mirror it is but when you turn the t.v. on it emitts enough light that you see through the mirror.

13. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

This is my security system Kind of expensive...about $45 a month in maintenance but works 24 hours a day. Doesnt need electricity, codes or alarms. Reacts to the slightest sound or movement.

Attached Files:

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    +1 these 2 ideas :D

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I re-purposed an old china cabinet with glass doors. It also has flat metal bars across the glass doors. I installed barrel locks to keep only the prudent burglar out. It now sits in my office, so when another HP enthusiast ask a question about one of my many HP's, I turn around unlock the doors & pull it out for further inspection. I also use Roby to warn me of any uninvited guest!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

While the chance of theft where I live is slim there are alarms on the house and outbuildings. But people in town leave their houses unlocked still... some leave keys in the car etc. We do have a reputation of taking care of criminals though. Last drug dealer had his house shot up while he wasn't home. Someone unloaded on it with a full auto 50... about cut it in half. He was gone the next day and the fire department burned the house as a precaution against chemicals(guy was making meth). That sends messages to the thugs!

I have left guns laying in plain sight of the front door when gone all day, no problems. But I do keep things locked up now just for kid protection.

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

And you have to clean up after it. Kinda like a teenager, but useful. :rofl:

18. It is simple, build a house out of four foot thick concrete walls with vault like doors. As for the children put the gun up high enough they cannot reach, say---- maybe 10 feet. Or buy a abandoned missile silo, and live there.

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Get him to let me in the house.... He'll get a meal, and you'll save money.