Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying my hand at a DIY ghillie made out of an old BDU field jacket. i cut the liner out, and the instructions i found were to cut your burlap into 3 inch wide pieces. i got a roll of 24'x3' so i am making the cuts across so they will be 3"x3' then trim the ends for more peices. you then use shoo goo or i have this great clear cement called "welder" that holds anything to anything. you just lay down a good bead and then stick your pieces to it so they hang nice. start at the bottom and work your way up overlapping. i did 2 rows and i'll let the rest dry. i then took some krylon cammo black, brown and green and made random splotches and lines on the natural tan burlap. looks pretty good for 2 rows. it will take a BUNCH of tubes of this contact cement. luckily a big tube is $2.38 at lowes. need to get it done and aired out by november when i hunt coyotes. there was just an alert here that the population of Kofa Rams, kinda like a small bighorn has gone from 700 to 400 due to mountain lions. the kofa's are only 45 minutes away and they said that they are going to waive the across the counter $25 lion tag cause there are so many. lake havasu and bullhead city AZ, right across from laughlin nevada has a huge population of lions and has organized hunts for them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
These guys get real serious about their camouflage. There's a lot of discussion about making ghillie suits:
http://www.snipershide.com/
You get serious when your life depends on it. I have 3 ghillies in my closet as we speak. One doesn't work for all environments.

BTW, Are you just going to leave the burlap in squares? I like to use some stuff called Incredible Goop instead of Shoe Goo... the stuff sets HARD!! Is this for a vertical stalk?

Also, take stuff you read on snipershide w/ a grain of salt... some guys know what they are doing, and others...not so much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like to use volleyball netting attached to a jacket or flight suit and tie the burlap and jute on. Fills out nice and u don't get a stiff and heavy jacket from all the glue. I have made a few and this has always worked for me. I have also used camo netting for my fall ghillie, it keeps me warm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm a big fan of more actual veg... I'll use about 3 lbs of jute and dye it to the surroundings but I will use rubberbands to attach local veg to my netting on the back of my bdu jacket.
I also like to glue and sew, it is anal, but it ensures everything stays put. Volleyball net works, but I have also used a laundry bag with good success.
Also, you can add some cut up yoga mats, or cut up a military sleeping mat and put under your burlap/dufflebag/canvas on the front.
All of those all jute ghillies you see online are just that, something you see online. Wait until it rains on you and your ghillie weighs about 30 lbs. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.